More Dead Dinos on Full Troughs

Ariad

More Dead Dinos on Full Troughs

This happens form time to time and I am still trying to figure out how the heck. I attached a pic of my former juve giga. I have 8 tek troughs above him within range. Note the other dinos further away not dying and also within trough range. But this Giga did die. This is not unusual in my experience and common to other breeders as well. I am struggling to reproduce it in a way that we can report a bug to wc so trying to brainstorm how things work and how the code could be buggy.

So I have a couple of thoughts as to possible bug sources.

Locked onto troughs

I have 8 tek troughs above him. 6 for meat, 2 for berries. Could this giga have locked onto a berry only trough and refused to eat from the meat only trough next to it? The odd thing would be they were there for most of the day with me sitting in a chair while I worked on another pc - note the second pic of my chair overlooking the same spot the giga died.

So how could he forget to eat from the same trough he had been nibbling on for hours and had a couple of cares done. Not impossible but odd so dismissing it.

Too Many dinos on troughs?

We had 30-40 dinos out at the time. We could have overloaded something in code, the trough object not let the Giga to eat from it and poof. 

I have had a single Tuso out another time and had it starve on a trough sitting next to it. I kind of dismiss this as a possibility due to this but still am brainstorming so including it.

DeSync and Starve

Since this is during 2x and I other instances I have had are usually on a breeding buff, I wonder if we are just getting Dinos food dropping twice as fast due to it and the client and server lag out for a bit chatting about the state of things. When they do finally sync up and chat, the Giga has not successfully ate something in minutes and starved?

I have a hard time with this one due to the fact that everything is rolling along fine. Normal live server lag spikes, etc but nothing abnormal. Maybe they have each dino communicating directly to their server endpoint and the dino feeding service is whacked for extended amount of time versus the rest of the game? Who knows. I have not reviewed their code but a possibility if they are massively microserviced. I have ran into similar pattern problems in my code.

Summary?

So thoughts? Has anyone else founfda way to minimize juve and adolescent deaths? I have tried keeping dodo kibble in them as back up to the troughs but they never touch it. That's another annoyance with this. You have food on them but they say they are troughed so ignore the food in them. That's a check WC should put in before killing the dino. Before killing them, check if they have food in their inventory. That's a good backup plan before killing your Dino you finally got that cool color mutation on :/

20191023133014_1.jpg

20191023133409_Small.jpg

Are you leaving them to grow unattended overnight? One issue that you didn't document is that when the babies are in stasis, their food will go up but their HP doesn't regen properly. Combined with server desync that could easily starve out a growing dino if it's been alone for too long, not regening, and doesn't have enough HP to survive when the server finally updates its status properly.

Another problem--if you're leaving them out while logged out on a server, other players passing by could be continually rendering the animals in and out of stasis, causing their food/HP values to constantly update or lag out from the desync issues. It's certainly more likely on events when lots of people are playing. Doubly so if you're in a high traffic area such as near an obelisk or player spawn point.

The best solution--if the animals are important, cryo them when you can't be online to babysit them. 

I've seen animals stop eating altogether while i am on.  Just one out of dozens usually but it will be obvious when all the other maturation % increases but that one doesn't.  I usually notice because when i update the food the others accept more but that one won't.  Then I notice it's food value has dropped close to starving, I can usually catch that but i could see it happening when I'm not on or constantly looking at their inventories.  Another way to know that animal is in that stage, u can force feed food to max and it will work down slowly.  When it catches back up you'll see the food drop to it's correct % based on maturaty and it will then accept a greater amount of food in it's inventory.  Why this happens, and to what animal it will happen to is unclear.

The thing with the dinos and someone in render range is that if you are offline and there is no other players around the dinos will go into stasis and do not eat. However when someone goes into render range the game will calculate how much food needs to be used on the babies and they will instantly eat that amount then. And like said before, lag and server desync might cause issues with that and game calculates food used wrongly and thinks there is no food in the troughs.

Knocking on the wood, i have not had that happen once in 3 years+ i have player ark.

i've noticed a glitch with them feeding via the rollrats, if you go out of render range, then return, they don't always kick out of status, and will refuse to eat, however if i whistle 'stop all' it seems to correct itself.  I don't know if this is specific to rollrats, or if its all dino's in general, but it was working for me today, so every time I returned from a meat run, i was whistling stop all just to make sure they got kicked out of status.

Interesting comment on the stop all. So the client object (the dino) must get interacted with and call the server which wakes up the server object and  keep it around. Hmm..

All the other common sense people are saying around cryo, render range, etc - duh. Reread the comment and note the picture. I sit on a chair and go do real life stuff and check in every 30. Its a horrible use of bandwidth by WC to design a system that pummels their servers and says *yup, still sitting in a chair*.

I am confused though by the lack of a sanity check before starving a dino - or transporting them to 50,50, killing a mana, etc. It's like the development team has never written networking code before.

• 10 months later...

Breeding triceratops I've noticed they occasionally are super bloody when I come back to check on them after they are adults. I've always wondered what caused that as they were behind my defenses, and had plenty of berries in the troughs. Perhaps the same glitch was hitting them, but since trikes are so tanky in the hp, they just are able to survive it, where as a juvi giga would starve in about 4 min if the server desynched or what ever.

Having lost a pair of baby gigas (my fault) I understand your pain.  I have raised more than a few the last couple of months with no issue.  I am on a private server so my maturation rates always remain the same.  Since you mention this is happening around the evo events for breeding, I wonder if this is what is causing your issue. If your raising them during two different maturation rates it may be throwing things off just enough to starve a giga, which is already easy to do.

You know before cryopods, you had no choice but to leave dinos out, and when imprints was added , you had to be there for that too.

Back in those days I would fill the dino up with cooked meat or berries and the troughs around them also full.

This required logging in every three hours to refill on some dinos, plus odd imprint hours.

How it appears to work:

I have two troughs almost side by side for my water dinos and they eat from one trough first until its empty, then move to second if in range of both.

I wonder if maybe mixing food types in all close together troughs would fix this, sounds odd and Ive never had this happen, but thats the only thing I can think of, stopping a dino from feeding (stuck on a trough but no preferred food in it).

Can this really be a problem now?

Not sure Ive ever seen a dino not eat so far but I do thank who ever added cryopods to the game.

I keep seeing people say things like "makes the game too easy" but sometimes you need that.

• 5 months later...

Just happened to me today 3/8/2021 with 4 gigas on genesis. They were standing by 12 tek trogphs full of meat. I laid my character down on the bed, an hour later I try to get back on, but when I get to my xbox a message said the server timed out.  I thought it was because I was inactive. So I log back on to find that my gigas starved to death! This is so annoying especially with gigas because it takes so much commitment to get them out of the baby stage not even counting the 10 more days of investment to mature them. I'm very annoyed because I could barley find the time to raise them to the 20% they were at. 

On 10/23/2019 at 9:34 PM, Ariad said:

I have had a single Tuso out another time and had it starve on a trough sitting next to it. I kind of dismiss this as a possibility due to this but still am brainstorming so including it.

Fish meat or raw meat?

On 10/26/2019 at 11:04 AM, Ariad said:

It's like the development team has never written networking code before

Yes, the initial coders of ark was composed of 15 amateurs... Now it is composed of 42 experts! But rewriting base game stuff breaks stuff.

• 4 months later...
On 9/25/2020 at 2:25 PM, sjskdjkfa said:

Breeding triceratops I've noticed they occasionally are super bloody when I come back to check on them after they are adults. I've always wondered what caused that as they were behind my defenses, and had plenty of berries in the troughs. Perhaps the same glitch was hitting them, but since trikes are so tanky in the hp, they just are able to survive it, where as a juvi giga would starve in about 4 min if the server desynched or what ever.

Been trying to raise some gigas and some brontos for this event, the gigas went fine, left em out all night never noticed anything wonky. But the brontos... they got all bloody and I got scared and podded em for a night. Today I brought out a few and have kept a close eye on them and also hit em with a snow owl. I noticed when the owl brought their health up to a reasonable level and i looked in the inventory and started monitoring it the health flickered as if their ability to self heal was driving it up, but since they had perhaps more health than the game wanted a baby at that mat % to have it was taking some away. That gave me the idea that perhaps when a dino comes out of stasis the game is miscalculating these two driving forces (hp + and hp - and some how you wind up with a negative hp on that baby and bam its dead). Thoughts?

Archived