Any reliable method for locating Dodorex when it Spawns?

RipRavage

Just now, Cowgirl said:

They dont have spawn points, they can spawn anywhere, the best way is to have search parties go off in different directions. Also I have heard that they are attracted to large numbers of dodos. That led me to exiling my group of dodos far down the beach in a shack during the first fear evolved lol,

That’s what the wiki says, but the wiki is often wrong about quite a few things. I’m assuming it probably has some specific spawn areas or at the very least a spawn type like Rex spawns.  Ive literally scoured the map and haven’t seen hide nor hair of the thing.  I found articles that state that in fear evolved 2 it spawned near the volcano and carno island, which I’ve seen a video of syntac facing it near this event.

we noticed something today that was a bit strange, thankfully it wasn't on dodorex night,  the moon seems to be changing position over the island, normally it doesn't pass over herbivore island but we were sitting there the night before dodorex was to appear, and the moon was directly above the island.  I don't know if that has any bearing on it.  but it would be interesting if you could actually track the dodorex's spawn position based on where the moon is over the island wouldn't it?

6 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

we noticed something today that was a bit strange, thankfully it wasn't on dodorex night,  the moon seems to be changing position over the island, normally it doesn't pass over herbivore island but we were sitting there the night before dodorex was to appear, and the moon was directly above the island.  I don't know if that has any bearing on it.  but it would be interesting if you could actually track the dodorex's spawn position based on where the moon is over the island wouldn't it?

That’s what I thought the meteors did too.  The thing that’s funny is that I bet there is actual mechanics to tracking this thing, it’s just been years since we’ve had the opportunity to try it and nobody back in the day figured out the pattern.  I’ll give tracking the moon a try next cycle, thanks for the tip.

Yeah I finally managed to find the dodorex randomly near the red obelisk.  It’s weird, it wasnt even the night he was supposed to spawn.  Tried to kill him with a desert Titan but he just ended up killing a farm bronto I had and vanished around morning time because I got it him so late.

He had literally spawned right on top of my bronto that sits near the berry patch to the north east of red obelisk. Maybe he spawns based on tames in the area.

4 hours ago, RipRavage said:

He had literally spawned right on top of my bronto that sits near the berry patch to the north east of red obelisk. Maybe he spawns based on tames in the area.

nah its not based on tames in the area, right across the water from me there are two huge bases packed with tamed dino's, and the dodo hasn't spawned there once.  Makes sense it would spawn near the obelisk though.   One of the moderators said their first one spawned at 2 80 out in the ocean.   

Curious though, was the moon above you?

4 hours ago, Erinn said:

I tried to track it by following the meteors. They were falling right above the carno island. No sign of dodorex. But when I flew the opposite direction, there is was, bigass looking pissed dodo. Could have been just a coincidence, I will test it few more times but I think its just one big RNG.

Same thing for me yesterday, meteors falling right above carno island, so i went there but couldnt find dodorex anywhere.

49 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

nah its not based on tames in the area, right across the water from me there are two huge bases packed with tamed dino's, and the dodo hasn't spawned there once.  Makes sense it would spawn near the obelisk though.   One of the moderators said their first one spawned at 2 80 out in the ocean.   

Curious though, was the moon above you?

The moon was over the water to the south of the obelisk.  It literally spawned back to back in close locations in two cycles.  The first one I screwed up he was near the berry patch, the second time where I finally killed him he was on the footpaw.

54 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

The moon was over the water to the south of the obelisk.  It literally spawned back to back in close locations in two cycles.  The first one I screwed up he was near the berry patch, the second time where I finally killed him he was on the footpaw.

lol love the victory dance heh, gj mate, hope you got a dermis.  wow you barely got him killed in time too. still haven't seen him around on our island map, no ones found it.  Might be a good idea to check near them corn drops at night :)

1 hour ago, Baklap said:

Same thing for me yesterday, meteors falling right above carno island, so i went there but couldnt find dodorex anywhere.

Someone already posted that the first meteor rain is random and only indicates that a dodorex will spawn. But follow the meteor shower AFTER 00:00 and you will find it. Thats why the first meteorits led me to carno island but nothing was there. The second meteorits started shooting the exact opposite direction after midnight and I almost instantly found it in the river that surrounds redwood.

2 hours ago, Erinn said:

Someone already posted that the first meteor rain is random and only indicates that a dodorex will spawn. But follow the meteor shower AFTER 00:00 and you will find it. Thats why the first meteorits led me to carno island but nothing was there. The second meteorits started shooting the exact opposite direction after midnight and I almost instantly found it in the river that surrounds redwood.

alright, so i tried that.
https://imgur.com/y1mNw0T

where do i look now? yes it was 1:30 or something , so after 12, as you can see al the meteors fly out of the map

4 hours ago, caleb68 said:

lol love the victory dance heh, gj mate, hope you got a dermis.  wow you barely got him killed in time too. still haven't seen him around on our island map, no ones found it.  Might be a good idea to check near them corn drops at night :)

I got lucky finding him so quickly with this one.  The first time I found him I didn’t get the titan to him until 5 am & he vanished shortly after.  Unfortunately I didn’t get the dermis since the titan ate the corpse, so I have do do the fight again.

13 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

They dont have spawn points, they can spawn anywhere, the best way is to have search parties go off in different directions. Also I have heard that they are attracted to large numbers of dodos. That led me to exiling my group of dodos far down the beach in a shack during the first fear evolved lol,

If this is true, my tribe buddy needs to move lmao

6 hours ago, Baklap said:

alright, so i tried that.
https://imgur.com/y1mNw0T

where do i look now? yes it was 1:30 or something , so after 12, as you can see al the meteors fly out of the map

Well ofc it doesnt show the exact spot, but at least you can say if its left or right part of map :D

Found it second time, it had like 50 zombie dodos around. Again in the river between redwood and volcano. Tickled it with a mana and since other 20 people on server ignored my coordinates, it fled again. I wish it was soloable.

14 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

Yea I am going by the wiki dossier, however it doesnt specify if that applies to tamed, wild, or both.

Well when I first found the Dodorex he was chowing down on my bronto and he spawned right on top of it.  Second time he spawned right across from my base, so I’m assuming the spawn could also be linked to players in the area too.

Just now, Erinn said:

Well ofc it doesnt show the exact spot, but at least you can say if its left or right part of map :D

Found it second time, it had like 50 zombie dodos around. Again in the river between redwood and volcano. Tickled it with a mana and since other 20 people on server ignored my coordinates, it fled again. I wish it was soloable.

It is with a desert titan

5 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

Thats what I thought was the case.  I still dont think it is completely random though.

well sense the patch my mates aren't seeing the Moon anymore, and the dodorex isn't being announced as coming or going on the island map.  At first when the server started up there were bone dino's scattered across the map, but now no one can find any again.  seems there are still bugs within the holiday event, none to fret though, im sure they'll have them all worked out by Nov. 2

8 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

well sense the patch my mates aren't seeing the Moon anymore, and the dodorex isn't being announced as coming or going on the island map.  At first when the server started up there were bone dino's scattered across the map, but now no one can find any again.  seems there are still bugs within the holiday event, none to fret though, im sure they'll have them all worked out by Nov. 2

It might be bugged, but last night when I was hunting the dodorex it appeared on two consecutive nights, the first of which wasn't announced.  Maybe if it spawns and the area goes dormant before the morning despawn the dodorex doesn't despawn and wont respawn or at the very least announce its appearance.  Have you guys covered the entire map at night to make sure its not spawned someplace?

Syntac just put up a video of him hunting the dodowyvern and it shows up without the moon too.

11 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

It might be bugged, but last night when I was hunting the dodorex it appeared on two consecutive nights, the first of which wasn't announced.  Maybe if it spawns and the area goes dormant before the morning despawn the dodorex doesn't despawn and wont respawn or at the very least announce its appearance.  Have you guys covered the entire map at night to make sure its not spawned someplace?

Syntac just put up a video of him hunting the dodowyvern and it shows up without the moon too.

I'm sure it is, I mean just look at this, this is the 'fixed raptor overspawn' on Valguero:

A0F0789343C9573AA78714933ACA4B9ACFF3A31E

I didn't dare get closer as the server had just saved and it felt like it was going to crash again. so I took the snapshot, and headed back to base.  Hopefully when I log in next I don't find myself as 'raptor food'.

This explains why the server is still consistently crashing.  But that's not the only new bug I've experienced with the event.  I actually had to craft the 'zombie' emote twice to learn it, the first one said I learned it but was never added to my emote wheel, I was thinking that perhaps it was just too many emotes on the wheel but that wasn't the case.  For giggles I made a second one, hovered over it too, and hit E, knowing If indeed it was tagged as learned but not showing, it wouldn't be consumable and i'd just give it to my tribemate, but it consumed it and on the second use it added it to my character.

At first we had a fair share of bone dinos spawning on the island map, and everyone was happy thinking 'yay we can find them now' but after a few ingame days after the server restarted, no one can find the bone dinos again... 

To top it off, On the Island after the restart for the patch, the first time the dodorex was due to show, It announced it to everyone, and when it despawned, again anouced that it left, but sense then there hasn't been one announcement of the Dodorex coming in or exiting.   People are pretty disappointed.   

Archived