[Question] Best place to settle down with a base with these requirements?

Flanar

Hello,

This is my first post here and I hope I don't make anyone angry with this question. I tried searching this but nothing that came up was really what I wanted. If anyone of you can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Currently I have my base at somewhere around 45,65 near the waterfall (the same place where sl1pg8tr had his base in 2nd season. I love this base for the following reasons:

1. It has a HUGE open area after you clear the woods and stones. By open mean, completely open without any weird terrain and cliffs etc. This has been super important for me since I like to have a huge open area to walk around and build big structures around at.
  2. It is kind of the middle of the map, so all the places are accessible.
  3. I need a TON of metal and metal deposits are nearby always, so carrying metal/ingots is easier.
  4. The view from there is quite beautiful, specially the waterfall.

The biggest issue with this location is that I cannot make water pen here at all. The water nearby is very shallow so its impossible to keep any water creatures there. And with the increasing necessity of having some water creatures, I can no longer ignore this part at all.

So I just want some suggestion on a location where I can have 1-3 points and can build a water pen too where I can keep big water creatures.

Any help would be really appreciated here, since I am really lost with this.

Thank you very much

EDIT: I should mention that this will be in PvE Server so I am not really worried about raiding/attacking

5 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

you know the dual pillars next to the waterfall? that's my favourite spot. theres the river mouth for a water pen as well.

Can you be more specific? I have seen a lot of waterfalls so I am not sure which one you are referring to. Also can you tell me the co-ordinates if that is possible?

I like the northwest corner of the island, just south of the snow biome.  Its right on the ocean for your water pen and has a huge, flat area for building.  It is also a pretty quick flight up to the volcano for all the metal you could want.  The view isn't too bad since you have the snow biome nearby and there is a waterfall close as well.  Also, if you are on your own server, you can foundation block all but the two underwater loot spawns just west of this spot and continually loot these two for great drops!

5 minutes ago, McRon said:

I like the northwest corner of the island, just south of the snow biome.  Its right on the ocean for your water pen and has a huge, flat area for building.  It is also a pretty quick flight up to the volcano for all the metal you could want.  The view isn't too bad since you have the snow biome nearby and there is a waterfall close as well.

This sounds perfect! Can you help me out with a co-ordinates maybe?

Also, if you are on your own server, you can foundation block all but the two underwater loot spawns just west of this spot and continually loot these two for great drops

Can you elaborate on this? I am not sure what you mean? :(

I'm not in game right now, so I'm not 100%, but I think it is right around 45/20.  You'll see a waterfall that dumps directly into a bay in the ocean around here and we built just north of that. 

As for the part you'd like elaboration on, do you mean the underwater loot drop foundation blocking?  If so, you can find a map of all the underwater loot crate drop locations.  You can place a foundation (we used stone) on each of these and it'll block the drops from spawning in these places.  Since only two drops can be on the map at any one time, we left just the two nearest our base and every hour we can go grab them real quick.  Also note, there are a couple that spawn on top of underwater caves and you can't place the foundations on top, but if you place it in the underwater cave at the same coordinate, it'll still block the spawn.  Hope that clarifies what I was trying to say!

10 minutes ago, McRon said:

I'm not in game right now, so I'm not 100%, but I think it is right around 45/20.  You'll see a waterfall that dumps directly into a bay in the ocean around here and we built just north of that. 

As for the part you'd like elaboration on, do you mean the underwater loot drop foundation blocking?  If so, you can find a map of all the underwater loot crate drop locations.  You can place a foundation (we used stone) on each of these and it'll block the drops from spawning in these places.  Since only two drops can be on the map at any one time, we left just the two nearest our base and every hour we can go grab them real quick.  Also note, there are a couple that spawn on top of underwater caves and you can't place the foundations on top, but if you place it in the underwater cave at the same coordinate, it'll still block the spawn.  Hope that clarifies what I was trying to say!

Thank you very much. I am very limited knowledge of underwater stuff so had no idea about the loot crate.

I will scout the location today when I get back!

4 minutes ago, McRon said:

No problem.  The underwater crates are only lootable if you are level 80 or higher, but contain some of the best gear in the game.  Good luck!

Thank you! I just turned 80 yesterday so this information came at the very right time.

Now I am debating if its a sausage move to block the foundations for others on my own server.

Well, the drops would still be accessible by them at the two locations you leave open.  If its a private server and you tell people which ones are left open it'll only help everyone find them.  Its tedious and challenging finding any drops when they can spawn anywhere around the map.  If everyone knows where they are people will all get many more total as you can certainly still share.  Another little hint we used is to mark the two spots where they spawn with a raft at the surface above the spawn.  That won't block it and makes it very fast to find the location.

1 hour ago, Flanar said:

Can you be more specific? I have seen a lot of waterfalls so I am not sure which one you are referring to. Also can you tell me the co-ordinates if that is possible?

They're along the North East River. There's a decently sized flash area between the pillars, and the top of one of the pillars is completely flat. Just spawn at the north 2 river and run down it, it's impossible to miss. 

12 minutes ago, rpicardi1 said:

Here is a view of that location.

3YIO7n4.jpg

And, the danger zone to the North.

esxxxRG.jpg

Wow, both of those location look beautiful. Can you give me co-ordinates of them so I can check it out myself?

Also since the first one has waterfall I am assuming it will have beavers around it? Either way can you please give me some co-ordinates so I can check them out myself?

6 hours ago, McRon said:

You can place a foundation (we used stone) on each of these and it'll block the drops from spawning in these places.  Since only two drops can be on the map at any one time, we left just the two nearest our base and every hour we can go grab them real quick. 

I like this idea a lot.  Thanks!

17 hours ago, Plannb23 said:

I personally like the spot at 14, 44.  Its right near the snow yet still warm.

I have a collecting station (Place where I Fast Travel to when I have to collect something) somewhere around that to collect Pearls, Oil and Polymer from the snow biome. I like that spot but not as much as to settle down there.

4 hours ago, Flanar said:

I have a collecting station (Place where I Fast Travel to when I have to collect something) somewhere around that to collect Pearls, Oil and Polymer from the snow biome. I like that spot but not as much as to settle down there.

We have a "Northern Compound" there which houses several of our animals and has a rather large base associated with it.

Here is an image during our construction of the base:  LINK

Archived