what is a good pc that can run ark

Kodking194

On 10/22/2019 at 11:24 PM, Kodking194 said:

what is a good pc that can run ark

so i recently got a decent job where i can begin saving for a decent pc to run ark. thing is i dont know of a good pc to run ark on. i have been told alien ware PCs are good but i figured asking people who play ark on pc would be better. i would like to know the price of the pc and its statistics, so like ram and memory and all that. also how well it runs ark.

I have an older i5 4670, 16gb of RAM, 500gb SSD and a GTX 1060. It's about the minimum you'd want to play Ark on, and it plays it just fine at mostly Epic settings (Textures on High, shadows and clutter distance on Low). Even pushes Aberration blue-zone at smoothly playable FPS, although you can def see that it's having to try pretty hard.

Anything you get above that, especially for the graphics card, is only going to do better.

10 minutes ago, Milsurp said:

I have an older i5 4670, 16gb of RAM, 500gb SSD and a GTX 1060. It's about the minimum you'd want to play Ark on, and it plays it just fine at mostly Epic settings (Textures on High, shadows and clutter distance on Low). Even pushes Aberration blue-zone at smoothly playable FPS, although you can def see that it's having to try pretty hard.

Anything you get above that, especially for the graphics card, is only going to do better.

is that the 6gb card or the 3gb card? looking at a 6gb one for my older system.

On 10/24/2019 at 3:04 PM, AccOnlyCreatedForThisThrea said:

Funny how you call Ryzen 5 3600 dated when it is in fact the best cpu for the buck today(for gaming) and at the same time promote the 3 year old GPU 1060. (Which for the record is less powerful than a 980(which is not sold anymore)). I don't even think many stores are selling GTX 1000-series cards anymore, guess 1660 is still a thing tho.

To the thread creator: I'm running ARK on a i7 2600k(we are talking stone age here) and a GTX 970, 16gb ddr3, ssd, (27" 144hz monitor) bla bla bla. For me it is still the GPU that is bottle neck even tho the cpu will make some angry noises.

That said, ARK uses the Unreal graphics engine that needs more GPU than CPU power and are only using 3 CPU cores(sure there are games that utilize more cores and more will come but most today only use 1-3).

I myself is in the market to buy a new PC for we can say... umm... my girlfriend.. totally not a second one for myself and I'm thinking about the following specs:

Motherbord: MSI X570-A PRO

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (Ryzen 7 3700, cost 150eur more and you get 2 more cores and 4 more threads. clock frequency is the same so if you dont use the extra cores you pay for nothing.)

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 (or maybe RTX 2060 Super, cost 120eur less)

RAM: 2x 8GB 3200hz

Inkluding PSU and chassi but excluding monitor this will land on somewhere around 1500 Euros.

I had virtually the same machine with a GTX 780 and running -SM4 (DirectX 10) made it play pretty well. But upgrading to a 1060 really lit Ark's performance up, even without -SM4 on it beats the older card. 

1 hour ago, Milsurp said:

I had virtually the same machine with a GTX 780 and running -SM4 (DirectX 10) made it play pretty well. But upgrading to a 1060 really lit Ark's performance up, even without -SM4 on it beats the older card. 

-SM4 can make virtually any graphics card work for ark, Had a gtx 560 2gb card in one system that ran ark amazingly well with that startup flag,  only real issue was extinction and a light bug that happens when you have that enabled, to where the entire screen ends up getting whitewashed.

Screenshots of your guys Ark Settings would be helpful as well to someone looking to build a system to play ark on, showing them how you have all the settings set to get the performance your getting.

2 hours ago, Milsurp said:

3gb lol. The weakest :| But you can get a used 1070 these days for cheap. I'd go with that instead, WAY more power for not much more dollars. I am seeing them down around 250 on Craigslist around here.

yeah I saw the 1070's too, im a old broke bloke right now ;) so im going the more affordable route right now.

4 hours ago, caleb68 said:

-SM4 can make virtually any graphics card work for ark, Had a gtx 560 2gb card in one system that ran ark amazingly well with that startup flag,  only real issue was extinction and a light bug that happens when you have that enabled, to where the entire screen ends up getting whitewashed.

Screenshots of your guys Ark Settings would be helpful as well to someone looking to build a system to play ark on, showing them how you have all the settings set to get the performance your getting.

yeah I saw the 1070's too, im a old broke bloke right now ;) so im going the more affordable route right now.

I'd be happy to provide screenshots - oh wait they have a teeny little file size limit here lol. But I wasn't kidding, I run epic everything except for the settings I mentioned (although I do tend to run post-processing and anti-aliasing at medium, cuts down the flicker of the trees). So just change those and you have my full settings. 

Archived