Should I get back in?

smoshy314

Should I get back in?

I’ve been looking to get back into the game. I’m hoping to not have an as time consuming experience as I have had in the past but I’ve had a lot of fun. I have over 2000 hours of experience. What’s the best way I should come back? I would mostly be solo. Should I do officials? Small tribes? A Cluster? Any other suggestions? And what map? I haven’t played on valguero yet.

Try classic pvp servers, which are the best official server type at moment in my opinion. Classic does not have manas, titans, owls or any of the other broken Extinction DLC content. The megatribes on classic are far smaller and do not dominante the servers like they do on  main official. Most players on classic tend to be bobs The powergap between alphas and smaller tribes is far smaller because classic seem to wipe every 4-5 months. You eill not run into level 445 theriz on your fresh tamed rex. Anyone can start a classic tribe today and compete unlike officials where you cant do anyyhing without established tribes adopting you as a beta and giving you lines and gear to get started. For solos classic is amazing because you can hide easily and find plenty of pvp raiding the abundant number of bobs on classic. I am solo at moment, raid with a griffin or pt or on foot,and enjoying ark lot more than i did in officials.

On 10/22/2019 at 10:05 AM, smoshy314 said:

Should I get back in?

I’ve been looking to get back into the game. I’m hoping to not have an as time consuming experience as I have had in the past but I’ve had a lot of fun. I have over 2000 hours of experience. What’s the best way I should come back? I would mostly be solo. Should I do officials? Small tribes? A Cluster? Any other suggestions? And what map? I haven’t played on valguero yet.

I just started playing again after a break of a few years. I have 4000 hours, but anything over 1000, you probably know what you like and don't like. If you want specific recommendations, you would need to say what your preferences are.

For me, I know it is unofficial PvE with mods, although I'll occasionally play without mods just so I'll remember why I want them (since they are also a big headache at times).

I like to play with easier settings and mods that make progression faster. I like this for two reasons, I play mostly solo and sometimes my wife plays with me and that is her preference.

I tried Valguero a bit. I watched a few videos. This map seems to be designed to appeal to those that like a serious challenge. It has a large section of the map devoted to Aberration. It has some very large areas under the map (kind of like the Center map had). These only have one or two entrances, so could be played almost as a separate server. It seems to have only one easy spawn area. Even that area would probably be very discouraging to a new player. The map reminds me a lot of The Center map if that map had no water around the edges.

Currently my favorite is Ragnarok, which has been finished since I was last playing (I played it when it was a mod). It has a lot of variety. You can play easier areas, although they have that pesky Ichthyornis (seagull), that I hate, or you can play some very difficult areas. It has most of the biomes that existed when it was added, but not the newer ones like Valguero has.

I myself have taken many breaks and come back refreshed. On my most recent return, I also decided that I want to enjoy the game solo but with less time investment. I only play Official, so no mods or unofficial servers, and I decided I didn't want to to do PVE this time (I usually play both). The only decision left was to play hidden on PVP Official, and it has been a lot of fun. I mean hardcore hidden with no actual base, just storage caches scattered around. The cryopods were a huge boost to this style of play now that dino storage is no longer an issue and you can craft them easily. You can even breed! Small things, don't get greedy. If you haven't done it before I suggest you try it. With 2000 hours I feel like you definitely know enough of the game to successfully survive this way.

• 3 weeks later...

Hell no. Stay away form this game. It's broken AF with no plans to fix anything. Every new patch breaks something new. All they want you to do is shovel money their way with a new DLC they hyped only to announce it would be coming in another 6-12 months. Since then they have only released patches that break more than they fix, and then never to acknowledge any of the bugs they create.

Devs are deaf, dumb and blind. No one reads these forums. Forums are just the "Customer Support" way of dumping complaints.

On 10/23/2019 at 3:35 AM, smoshy314 said:

Should I get back in?

Official Small Tribes is the way to go if you want fast action without running into rogue admins.

Easy to raid, easy to get raided, but also easy to rebuild.

40 minutes ago, JustAnotherBeachNoob said:

Single player is really nice. You can turn up the harvest/taming/XP rates and get things done quicker. The best part is, when you log off, the game stops no more worrying about coming back to a destroyed based.

You can also get the same stuff you mention here about single player if you just play PvE on an unofficial server with decent admins that prevent griefing. The advantage over single player is that your crops will grow while you are offline. Single player is essentially PvE playing solo with no griefing. You can't do mostly solo like the OP mentions in single player, you can only do solo.

2 hours ago, wildbill said:

You can also get the same stuff you mention here about single player if you just play PvE on an unofficial server with decent admins that prevent griefing. The advantage over single player is that your crops will grow while you are offline. Single player is essentially PvE playing solo with no griefing. You can't do mostly solo like the OP mentions in single player, you can only do solo.

Very true. I just counter this by speeding up the growth rate. It’s nice being my own admin. 

9 hours ago, JustAnotherBeachNoob said:

Single player is really nice. You can turn up the harvest/taming/XP rates and get things done quicker. The best part is, when you log off, the game stops no more worrying about coming back to a destroyed based.

I'd estimate the value of the stuff I've been given by other players vs. the stuff I've had destroyed is about 100 to 1. Everyone loves to gripe about the "toxic community", but most players I've encountered are actually pretty generous with advice and stuff.

1 hour ago, SMP said:

I'd estimate the value of the stuff I've been given by other players vs. the stuff I've had destroyed is about 100 to 1. Everyone loves to gripe about the "toxic community", but most players I've encountered are actually pretty generous with advice and stuff.

Exactly toxic players are fairly rare in PVP as its quite hard to survive long as a toxic player. It is far easier to be nice to everyone and build alliances then it is to take on the world.

I ain't played "real" online for a good while (like a year), but I like the comment by  ForzaProiettile

Been running my own cluster of maps for mates  and family.

Small Tribes is cool - there is a way forward withouth the bad old  grind of making progress. And whilst it is a much more competative environment than the official open servers with mega this and alpha that(where you just get stomped - no questions asked), its a bunch of fun. Also there are happy people on Small Tribes that will help a new starter despite all the posts around "Toxic"

Depends on what you want - to mess around a bit after work and get some joy, or to build a magalopolis to beat all on the server ............ My answer, Small Tribes.

(actually, I may even join up with you if you decide to go there - pm me)

22 hours ago, JustAnotherBeachNoob said:

True, but then you don't get to interact with other peeps - good or bad ........... Yeah the bad is bad, but the good is pretty fine!

On 10/22/2019 at 7:05 PM, smoshy314 said:

Should I get back in?

PS Valguero is OK and fun because of a lot of new bits to explore, but Rag is still probably a better map to kick off from

13 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Exactly toxic players are fairly rare in PVP as its quite hard to survive long as a toxic player. It is far easier to be nice to everyone and build alliances then it is to take on the world.

It is said that ARK pvp community is toxic. And yet ARK official scene has some of most tightly neat social communities i seen in online gaming. I made more close friends playing official pvp than other games like Warframme with their supposedly friendly, welcoming communities. In most other games you are just playing against faceless screen names who might as well be bots. Playing in an official tribe togather, trying to survive and raiding togather build a bond unlike any other. I prefer the "toxic" 123s that answer my call for help on discord, arrive on my server at 4 AM and heroically spend 12 hours defending my base, because of the friendship and trust we share, over fake niceness faceless mobs in other games.

Archived