Should I get back in?

smoshy314

10 hours ago, covenantgrunt said:

It is said that ARK pvp community is toxic. And yet ARK official scene has some of most tightly neat social communities i seen in online gaming. I made more close friends playing official pvp than other games like Warframme with their supposedly friendly, welcoming communities. In most other games you are just playing against faceless screen names who might as well be bots. Playing in an official tribe togather, trying to survive and raiding togather build a bond unlike any other. I prefer the "toxic" 123s that answer my call for help on discord, arrive on my server at 4 AM and heroically spend 12 hours defending my base, because of the friendship and trust we share, over fake niceness faceless mobs in other games.

A lot of folks in this game when they get beaten quickly resort to calling their conqueror by a number of epithets as some kind of excuse for they why they lost. I guess they feel better about themselves to fire off some word missiles in global chat.

I've personally been called just about everything under the sun - "toxic", "griefer", "troll", "noob basher" , "a fu**ing ass****", you name it. I was given the last moniker again just last week when I interrupted someone taming a 150 Therizino. He sure wasn't happy and he let me know about it.

That said overall ARK is contrary to what some people on this forum like to claim, it is actually pretty community orientated. Even on PVP servers there are strong communities that have been forged over the users taking the form of large tribes or a cluster of allied tribes.

Personally I don't like this whole community stuff, I'd much prefer the game if it was a free for all with no alliances and with tribes regularly fighting each other but it is what it is.

12 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Personally I don't like this whole community stuff, I'd much prefer the game if it was a free for all with no alliances and with tribes regularly fighting each other but it is what it is.

WC has made several attempts to create a server that didn't have mega tribes. The problem is the basic game mechanics benefit those who create the biggest tribe. If you limit tribes to 10 players, people just create mutltiple 10 player tribes and use an external device to organize such that they still act as one large tribe. Players will always find the advantage and exploit it, that is just what a good PvP player does (or at least one that wants to win).

There are games where large tribes are not an advantage, but they need to design that in from the very beginning, not try and force that on to players when they realize this is ruining the game for many players.

On 10/23/2019 at 4:05 AM, smoshy314 said:

Should I get back in?

I’ve been looking to get back into the game. I’m hoping to not have an as time consuming experience as I have had in the past but I’ve had a lot of fun. I have over 2000 hours of experience.

Probably forget official.

First, the Ark that you have over 2K hours on no longer exists, as we highlighted in this thread.

Second, as made very clear here, current Ark Official PVP is mega-tribe only. You can survive solo or as small tribe only under the committed protection of a mega (like a sub-tribe, each mega has their own rules for this check with the sever alpha)

Third, official will never let players control their time commitment. That's simply the nature of full-time OR servers.

8 hours ago, singalty said:

Probably forget official.

First, the Ark that you have over 2K hours on no longer exists, as we highlighted in this thread.

Second, as made very clear here, current Ark Official PVP is mega-tribe only. You can survive solo or as small tribe only under the committed protection of a mega (like a sub-tribe, each mega has their own rules for this check with the sever alpha)

Third, official will never let players control their time commitment. That's simply the nature of full-time OR servers.

I wouldn't say its completely mega tribe only but rather that it is quite hard for unaligned medium and smaller tribes to survive unless they really know the game backwards.

I run a tribe of 5 and we play and raid on servers quite well. That said the "noobiest" out of us has 3k hours and combined we have almost 30k hours,  so that probably helps. However even then we have to make comprises in order to survive, we don't have a small main base and we raid with no tames except for the occasional Stego. 

I don't believe there is really much room though for tribes inbetween full fledged guerrillas and the mega tribes unless you want to be their slaves.

2 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

I run a tribe of 5 and we play and raid on servers quite well. That said the "noobiest" out of us has 3k hours and combined we have almost 30k hours,  so that probably helps. However even then we have to make comprises in order to survive, we don't have a small main base and we raid with no tames except for the occasional Stego. 

The trolls are recruiting haha. Pro Hit-and-run cases ("trolls") don't count and most likely don't help the OP. TBH it's kind of a weird two-dimensional way of playing the game that I wouldn't recommend. But it is possible to survive this way. But hell, maybe he doesn't care about breeding,  building up, boss fights or being connected with other tribes :) That being said, I never knew an alpha that had a problem with trolls that were based on their own server... either yours are nitwits or you keep moving server. Either way, probably doesn't relate to the OP's question unless you are offering him a job hehe.

On 11/17/2019 at 7:43 PM, JustAnotherBeachNoob said:

Single player is really nice. You can turn up the harvest/taming/XP rates and get things done quicker. The best part is, when you log off, the game stops no more worrying about coming back to a destroyed based.

I used to play single player years ago until i built a huge base full of glass and the map just wouldnt load after that and would just crash my game :D maybe its better now but i just pay 8 quid a month for my own server :D 

15 hours ago, singalty said:

The trolls are recruiting haha. Pro Hit-and-run cases ("trolls") don't count and most likely don't help the OP. TBH it's kind of a weird two-dimensional way of playing the game that I wouldn't recommend. But it is possible to survive this way. But hell, maybe he doesn't care about breeding,  building up, boss fights or being connected with other tribes :) That being said, I never knew an alpha that had a problem with trolls that were based on their own server... either yours are nitwits or you keep moving server. Either way, probably doesn't relate to the OP's question unless you are offering him a job hehe.

Well we aren't afraid to attack anyone alphas/megas included. In fact some of the most profitable raiding can be had from raiding megas. They tend to overbuild and many of the members in those tribes love to be independent and do their own thing. I've been in several and I know what its like.

As a result you can often come across plenty of poorly designed and defended bases with decent loot in them that only remain standing because of who owns it. Most folks when they see the alpha is the owner will avoid attacking it. For security reasons we change servers quite a bit but we always use the same name at least for our raiding tribe. It's important to leave your mark.

Archived