Ice Deathworm cave advice

LordHotPockets

Ice Deathworm cave advice

I know this is not anything new and has been around for awhile but I've always wanted to attempt this with my tribe and they are finally considering doing it. I'm on official PvE and when I look up videos on how to attempt this they're rather dated (before cryos and such) or are never on an official server and it's like a level 11 queen so I don't even know if official servers are at higher level or the same. So I figured I'd ask on here if anybody has up to date information on it.

I know that high armor cold weather gear and the assortment of brews/potions would be necessary. From what I've seen a high damage shotgun and high armor shield for shooting and tanking when you have to go on foot and the smaller deathworms attack seems to be recommended. My real question is whether you can use cryopods to bring tames into this cave because none of the videos I found even addressed if you could do that or not. I love megatherium and I see that some of the passages are wide enough to accommodate one so my plan would be to throw it out when the passage is wide enough and then cryo it back up when the passage gets too small, rinse and repeat. Also if tames are allowed what's to stop me from bringing a giga and throwing that out at the queen because the final area looks freaking huge.

I'm just looking for some current day suggestions on how my tribe could best do this cave as a group on official, if there's a better strategy than what I've said I'd greatly appreciate any advice or pointers. Thanks.

Heya you're correct in believeing those videos are outdated. I two man'ed this recently, and now my tribemate regularly solo's it with a Baryonyx (I think.) 

We originally took Megatherium with us, so you just need a few stacks of the food buffs to keep you warm enough, and maybe a parachute for the exit after the boss, though you can actually jump down into the water safely. Only problem is I couldn't fit my Megatherium threw the exit to jump down so i had to ditch some stuff it was holding that I couldn't carry (mostly horns.) Whereas smaller cave mounts can fit through but might have more difficulty against the boss.

Megatheriums can squeeze throughout most of the cave and handle the deathworms just fine (they don't get any buff though.) The only thing ive noticed is if you jump off the waterfall on your mount (just before the Ice Queen) then the encounter can bug. Since that bug, I usually cryo my Megatherium or whatever dinosaur I take, jump down into the pool, swim to the land, head forward a little (because there can be an invisible wall that stops dino's moving close enough) and throw my dino back down. You have to be quick though, if it says calculating at the top of the screen then you only have a few more seconds to get mounted up and ready to fight. 

Ps: My Megatherium is just a regular old 140 tame, with HP pumped into it. Probably loses about half HP tanking during a 2 man encounter.

16 minutes ago, SadieSaurus said:

Heya you're correct in believeing those videos are outdated. I two man'ed this recently, and now my tribemate regularly solo's it with a Baryonyx (I think.) 

We originally took Megatherium with us, so you just need a few stacks of the food buffs to keep you warm enough, and maybe a parachute for the exit after the boss, though you can actually jump down into the water safely. Only problem is I couldn't fit my Megatherium threw the exit to jump down so i had to ditch some stuff it was holding that I couldn't carry (mostly horns.) Whereas smaller cave mounts can fit through but might have more difficulty against the boss.

Megatheriums can squeeze throughout most of the cave and handle the deathworms just fine (they don't get any buff though.) The only thing ive noticed is if you jump off the waterfall on your mount (just before the Ice Queen) then the encounter can bug. Since that bug, I usually cryo my Megatherium or whatever dinosaur I take, jump down into the pool, swim to the land, head forward a little (because there can be an invisible wall that stops dino's moving close enough) and throw my dino back down. You have to be quick though, if it says calculating at the top of the screen then you only have a few more seconds to get mounted up and ready to fight. 

Ps: My Megatherium is just a regular old 140 tame, with HP pumped into it. Probably loses about half HP tanking during a 2 man encounter.

Thanks so much for that! I appreciate the full details of your experiences that will help quite a bit, especially the part about the invisible wall that would have really pissed me off it that happened to us and we didn't know what was going on. My megatheriums pop with like 380 melee and 7k health before imprint so after imprinting and with a good saddle I feel much better about that strategy, it's great to know that it can be done that way.

Thanks again and happy hunting to you and your tribe ?

5min max for whole cave

First part fly, collect drop and go inside, u will hit first wall, cryo flyer go on foot. When u jump down, thro dino out ( i use thyla)

Just run thru cave if u dont want to fight worms, u need to fight if he blocks u. For thyla easy task.

When u hit last part, before jumping down cryo dino, check timer. After u jump go out fast, u will find in middle enough room to thro a giga out. JUst dont thro dino when u leave water, u need to go a bit deeper because of wall.

I just cryo in a Thyla or if I want to farm hide, a Theri. 

Thyla can hit every passage without needing to cryo again. Theri you need to cryo a couple times.

Works in queens chamber too.

Easy to run the drops now.

Also use Velo's in Lava Golem arena. Makes short work of him. Couple vids on that.

I use a thyla, and a rex for the queen, also take a spare cryo and freeze my wyvern then throw it out through the waterfall, it usually lands on the bridge so you can run out and mount it without falling into the spino infested water below

Thylas can run the whole cave, make sure it's on lowest follow, drop down the first waterfall, wait for cryo cooldown if it's still active, whistle thyla to follow and drop down the 2nd waterfall into queens chamber (this might have changed? first time I did it I dropped down mounted on thyla and queen didn't spawn so always done it like this since with no issues) go to the edge and throw the rex out in the area the queen spawns then mount thyla and drop down to kill it

Archived