Solo players gathering on official PVE ??

Thomas180990

Solo players gathering on official PVE ??

Hey guys , I've played the game solo for over 3k hours now , around 1k on pvp and 2k on pve . Just recently joined ark on pc after most my time on the Xbox one x and it's great . 

I just wanted to share some of the ways I gather certain materials and wanted to know if anyone has ways that will help my efficiency as it's really important for a solo player :D

wood - Theri around 500m 2000weight

stone - karkinos with high weight , melee doedi

thatch - grinder

fiber - theri along the edge of the swamp

metal - karkinos with an anky maxed in melee 1.2k+

obsidian - karkinos with high level doed to auto gather

crystal , leave an anky and argent inside the volcano with sleeping bags , once argent full fly to base .

any better ways to speed up my solo experience ? Much appreciated .

during the weekend -

• thatch - buck
  • wood - mammoth
  • stone - karkinos & 2 doedic
  • Metal, Crystal, Obsidian - Argy & Anky - moving obsidian and crystal to argy.  high weight on both. 700 melee on anky.
  • fiber - theri
  • berries - Valgero weight kangaroo in swamp getting small brown bushes, other maps theri / mammoth.
  • meat - giga

during the week - if i need more pretty much the same thing, but the weekend gathering usually covers my metal/crystal/obsidian, and stone and wood are easy enough to get. last weekend i gathered 50k wood, 140k stone, 20k ingots, 4k crystal, just a little obsidan (but didnt need any). So for me it works pretty good.  my mates are more about raising babies, taming, and cave looting, and usually only on during the weekends.

when using argy and anky on island, i don't just go to volcano, I hit the mountain top in the redwood, then volcano, and the nthe two mountains to the east of volcano to maximize my time vs. harvesting. but the path puts me closer to getting home when the bird is full as there are public teleporters both on the east side of island and in the redwood so i can just zip back home.

I too solo tribe and you are correct time management is very important. Here are a couple things I do a bit differently than you.

Wood - Beaver with argy (I don't fly around gathering, I run the beaver for a max haul the argy is just easier and quicker than using a wyvern) 

Metal/OB - Anky with a wyvern to carry to the metal/OB nodes

Thatch - Wyvern (not as great at gathering as the megaloceros but much easier for lazy ppl like me)

CP - beaver dams with a wyvern ( the wyvern is so tall the beavers cant reach/attack you so it is EZ)

Crystal - EX is my main base so Doed with a Argy gets crystal,ele. on AB I use a gasbag with a cryo anky to get crystal.

heavy weights (best creatures for weight)

Island - Quetz is best due to the long flight over the island (that thing needs cruise control)

Scorched Earth - Basilisk is very fast for moving over mostly flat ground.

Aberration - Gasbag can get up and down the shifting terrain with easy. 

Extinction - has balloon crates you can use but quetz/gasbag for the normal stuff. 

Theri is great at harvesting the wood, if only it reduced the weight like others do and it would be perfect. I used to do the theri/mammoth combo but dismounting every 5 trees got annoying so we got some solid roll rats from some ab buddies and that's the only thing I use anymore. I take a mate boosted pair out, one spec'd in melee and the other in weight and I can clear whole mountainsides with minimal interruption. Sure I get less wood per hit than the theri but the uninterrupted flow of harvesting is much better.

Love your idea with the volcano for the crystal but you might check out the first tall mountain that is across from Carno island in the north eastern part of the map. On the 2 island servers I've been on it's way less traveled than the volcano and has loads of crystal and some decent metal to justify the trip. In the old days we made a huge base on pillars but if I were to do it current day I would slap a transporter pad down and just zip back and forth with a crab and anky. If not that then at the very least a small spot to store the anky and a transmitter. If no tek then just the anky and a few vaults, come by with argents when it gets filled up.

Everything else you listed seems spot on to me, except that doeds no longer harvest obsidian, an anky would be your best bet there but to combo it with the crab is smart. Happy hunting to you man

berries - kangaroo on any map, faster to get back home than any other animal and u can pump them to over 3300 weight on a good imprinted one.

farm metal - kark and anky - on aberration

farm crystal - argy doed - on extinction hitting all the lamp posts, tables, and benches.

Farm wood, therizino and a raft - go through a swamp and let it do it's thing, no need to worry about weight, just dump onto storage on the raft and keep going.

farm thatch, wyvern - easy to get while doing other things , and get home the fastest.

Farming obsidian - dunk - u can do that right there on the island , dunk and a mosa on follow to dump the weight onto.

Wood- 5k wt Argy and a chainsaw. Takes like 5 minutes.

Crystal- same Argy and a high damage pick. Cuts down time on mounting Anky and picking and carrying node to node. 230 damage pick and you hit the biggest crystal nodes, you'll get like 10k

Stone- Karkinos with mate boosted 1600 wt Doedics. Each will auto harvest to 800 wt of stone. 

Rest seem good though I always hand harvested my obsidian too once Argy reduced weight. I mostly just used organic poly down the line.

For crystal and obsi, I would suggest gacha. Gachas will give you 30 obsi and 60 crystal per one boosted gacha crystal, its much faster and easier. Also got metal gacha, but my anky with 1k melee on x2 gets 500 metal per tail swing while gacha is capped at 60 metal per gacha crystal. Also putting the colored items from gacha crystals in grinder will bring you tons of resources too.

For stone I use doedi, you can leave them out on dino leash in a rocky area too.

For wood, its definitely mammoth. Tamed two 150s, imprinted a baby, leveled in full weight. Only annoying thing is that you have to throw out berries all the time.

For thatch I used megaloceros, but now when I farm berries with bronto I keep the thatch it gets from tail swipe. And ofc theri for fiber.

For metal runs I use 2 ankys on a quetzal platform. I dont land, I just dismount, mount the anky and smash metal under me through the platform. Also got a ravager with me leveled in weight which has insane weight reduction for obsi and crystal.

For wood - I always use a chainsaw and an argy. The wood per tree is ridiculous and it's just simpler. Takes out the "middle man" and just as effective. Good BPs are easy to find and much easier to replace than taming or breeding another dino.

For thatch - I also use the grinder but I always have a megaloceros on hand for some reason. Maybe because of the reindeer skin I guess.

For fiber - I use megatheriums for Broodmother, so I use them for fiber. Bear is easier to tame. I just don't enjoy using Theri's for anything.

Everything else is pretty standard quetz/crab/argy + anky/doedic. I can't emphasize enough how great the chainsaw is for solo play though. Wood, hide, fur, chitin, keratin, mutton, regular meat, and organic polymer amounts are really good. 

27 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

I can't emphasize enough how great the chainsaw is for solo play though. Wood, hide, fur, chitin, keratin, mutton, regular meat, and organic polymer amounts are really good. 

It really is. 

Use a chainsaw on a Titanosaur and it's an insane amount of hide. Paracers too. 

If they created a sledgehammer for stone gathering and a jackhammer for metal that harvested about the same efficiency, I'd only use those tools and an Argy or Quetz to farm too.

I don't have the pic anymore but I had a ramp trap in murder snow to kite Yuty's and one day I just shot one Mammoth and one Rhino. Like 25 of them came after me. I got them stuck in the trap, shotgunned them all, and filled 3/4 of a vault with fur after using a 230 dmg chainsaw on them. Top 5 addition to Ark in my opinion.

On 10/22/2019 at 9:03 AM, Thomas180990 said:

Interesting that 2 of you said mammoth for wood , I'll have to look into trying to get a high level one soon :D

thanks for your input does make it easier for a solo :)

Mammoths are great for wood because of tehir weight decrease, 1 stack of wood on them is 12.5 lbs vs 50 on other dinos, even if you just had it following you while you were using a chainsaw on the trees, you can fit alot more on a mammoth then most dinos. be sure to level its weight so that you can add even more, lowering your need to gather it.

Also a wyvern (using C) can be great as well for gathering thatch.

3 hours ago, Fisherman said:

I can't emphasize enough how great the chainsaw is for solo play though. Wood, hide, fur, chitin, keratin, mutton, regular meat, and organic polymer amounts are really good. 

funny thing, i was getting more mutton with my apprentice pike from sheep then i was getting with the chainsaw, the chainsaw however did get me tons of pelt.

i'd like to add the rollrat for wood since he gathers like a champ and has a whopping 80% wood weight reduction, outstripping the mammoth you can put a few rollrats on a quetzal platform for further weight reduction, or just carry it home with a quetzal, or a weight wyvern.  or you could just roll it home like a freight train.

ankylosauruses on a quetzal platform, or a flock of weight argents for hauling.

3 minutes ago, Kaprosuchus said:

i'd like to add the rollrat for wood since he gathers like a champ and has a whopping 80% wood weight reduction, outstripping the mammoth you can put a few rollrats on a quetzal platform for further weight reduction, or just carry it home with a quetzal, or a weight wyvern.  or you could just roll it home like a freight train.

the only downside about the rollrat is its saddle, if it rolls into anything, the saddle takes damage, where the mammoth doesn't. I do have a roll rat on valguero, but have yet to use him there.

another chainsaw convert since i started on valg before transfers open.

picked one up from a drop and now use it all the time, on 2x weekends its so easy.  take a couple of argys in pods to red wood trees and keep fillign them up till they get to 80% full then slow flight back with more wood than i need

On 10/22/2019 at 10:10 AM, Thomas180990 said:

wood - Theri around 500m 2000weight

Add on follow = Roll Rat (best Wood Weight reduction) or Gasbag (highest Weight capacity) hit a few trees, dump, repeat. Mammoth will also work but you will always get stuck in it's tusks.

stone - karkinos with high weight , melee doedi

Add second doed and basilisk. lvl both doed in weight and dual wield them with crab. Constant swinging at stones. Burrow the basilisk nearby so its safe and dump when doeds stop swinging. Basilisk has best Stone Weight reduction. 

thatch - grinder

Add megatherium or Wyvern C attack. Both get good amounts of thatch from trees. Male Deer is also decent.

fiber - theri along the edge of the swamp

Megatherium or bear are also good.

metal - karkinos with an anky maxed in melee 1.2k+

Learn how to slot cap the anky

obsidian - karkinos with high level doed to auto gather

Depends on the map, on center Doed only gathers stone from Obsidian nodes. Otherwise, use a Anky.

crystal , leave an anky and argent inside the volcano with sleeping bags , once argent full fly to base .

this is fine. or go to EXT and farm lamps/benches with Doed plus the added benefit of Dust and Electronics.

On 10/22/2019 at 11:03 AM, yekrucifixion187 said:

Wood- 5k wt Argy and a chainsaw. Takes like 5 minutes.

Crystal- same Argy and a high damage pick. Cuts down time on mounting Anky and picking and carrying node to node. 230 damage pick and you hit the biggest crystal nodes, you'll get like 10k

Stone- Karkinos with mate boosted 1600 wt Doedics. Each will auto harvest to 800 wt of stone. 

Rest seem good though I always hand harvested my obsidian too once Argy reduced weight. I mostly just used organic poly down the line.

I was going to comment the chainsaw too. Good one. Another point to add - if you spec melee a bit youll gather more! Youll weightcap anyways so weight is irrelevant. Bonus points if you also wear tek pants to move while overcapped (incase dino gets pushed away or such)

Noone mentioned Hide! Hide is a huge barrier when solo. Ive used a few methods. Chainsaw is the best. 

You can go around chainsawing brontos and such or.. you can be a real farmer. Raise sheep. Have a good amount of sheep handy, raise them ahead of time and throw in cryo. Pull out a few days later and level ALL INTO HP. Kill sheep, chainsaw to death.

Misleading title, lol. I thought solo players gonna gather together at some server, sit around campfire and tell stories about metal farming at first.

This is definitely not the best method, but since some people mentioned wyvern's C atack... While farming berries with bronto I get nice amount of thatch. It doesn't weight too much so I just keep it in own inventory while dropping wood, seeds etc.

1 hour ago, d1nk said:

Noone mentioned Hide! Hide is a huge barrier when solo. Ive used a few methods. Chainsaw is the best. 

You can go around chainsawing brontos and such or.. you can be a real farmer. Raise sheep. Have a good amount of sheep handy, raise them ahead of time and throw in cryo. Pull out a few days later and level ALL INTO HP. Kill sheep, chainsaw to death.

Try leveling  melee ;)

Archived