Are Dimorphons good to tame?

Hey Guys,  I’m just wondering if Dimorphons are a good tame to get (You can discuss both PVE or PVP)

I think its good, as a pack, for PVP as an inside base defender because of the space being enclosed.

PVE might not be that useful because of it not having many uses in terms of resources.

Hope you guys have any other ideas :n

5 hours ago, RipRavage said:

What about the age old question, Dimorphons or Vultures?

Stats wise they're the same, vultures are easier to tame but you can't whistle them to attack your target, unless it's something that's already dead although they will attack anything that attacks you or them first, so dimorphs win for me, just

PvE perspective here, if you have enough of an interest to ask the question then you probably won't be disappointed if you started taming them. Fast and easy to breed and groups of them are like flying piranha, they really tear through anything that pisses them off. Since they target the rider and not the mount when attacking I'd assume they'd be useful for PvP as well but that's just conjecture.

A guy on our first island server had a swarm of at least 30 following a golem that he put on aggressive turret mode just for kicks. The dimorphs usually killed the dino before the golem could throw the second boulder. Saw a 150 rex just melt one time and he claimed alphas would meet the same fate but I never saw that personally.

2 hours ago, LordHotPockets said:

PvE perspective here, if you have enough of an interest to ask the question then you probably won't be disappointed if you started taming them. Fast and easy to breed and groups of them are like flying piranha, they really tear through anything that pisses them off. Since they target the rider and not the mount when attacking I'd assume they'd be useful for PvP as well but that's just conjecture.

A guy on our first island server had a swarm of at least 30 following a golem that he put on aggressive turret mode just for kicks. The dimorphs usually killed the dino before the golem could throw the second boulder. Saw a 150 rex just melt one time and he claimed alphas would meet the same fate but I never saw that personally.

Yeah I've had a few swarms, used to fly around on an argent whistling attack at anything that moved and they'd wreck it, only thing's they had problems with were pteras & tapejaras which were usually fast enough to get away if they weren't low level and could survive the initial attack, same for gallis, and griffins where they sometimes end up going around in a circle and can never hit it, never tried a wyvern but think they'd have the same problem and gigas which I think would wreck them with the aoe, everything else was easy game though

22 minutes ago, Thyme said:

Tame some high level and breed a swarm, they’ll melt any wild dino short of a giga. I use them in caves occasionally for fun, they dominate but get stuck sometimes in there, not an issue when you have hundreds to replace em

Breeding these must be interesting. They have to be extremely small and hard to find when they hatch ?

5 hours ago, wildbill said:

Breeding these must be interesting. They have to be extremely small and hard to find when they hatch ?

Yeah can be a pain to claim them once they start wandering, I usually pick all the eggs up with a few seconds left then hatch one at a time, plus have a crossbow or longneck equipped as it's a bit easier to aim at them especially on foundations/ceilings

On 10/21/2019 at 7:27 PM, LeLanders said:

Are Dimorphons good to tame?

Hey Guys,  I’m just wondering if Dimorphons are a good tame to get (You can discuss both PVE or PVP)

I think its good, as a pack, for PVP as an inside base defender because of the space being enclosed.

PVE might not be that useful because of it not having many uses in terms of resources.

The answer depends a little bit on whether you're playing on an Official server, or on a server that has improved times for breeding & raising animals.

Having a flock of dimo's is super fun when you're exploring, it's amazing how quickly 6-10 of them can destroy raptors and other animals that attack you, but they have to have enough HP to survive those fights and that usually means that you need to breed the better ones that you tame. If you tame a bunch of Lvl 20's and then get them up to Lvl 60-70 they're still useful, but not nearly as useful as a bunch that you have hatched from Lvl 130-150 parents.

The problem with breeding dimo's on Official servers is that they take soooo long to raise, because all carnivores in ark take a long time to breed & raise, even if they're only the size of a dimo.

So... yeah, dimo's are cool and fun, but I have never considered them worth the trouble on an Official server, only on a server with enhanced breeding & raising settings.

On PVP I (at low level) had a bunch of vultures on nueteral around my base. Some guy  landed next to the base riding a v high level rock drake. The drake cause "impact dammage" when it lands, and my home guard shredded him and his drake in the blink of an eye. Don't  play there no more cause he concieved a hate for me :)

Any mass of dinos that can manouvouer to the hit box will kill almost any thing that ark can offer. Exceptios:

Giga = as above area of effect will kill most Dimormps in a couple or three bites - and they cant take 80k hit points in 3 attacks.

Bosses = same as Giga, too much AOE dammage and too much health

Worms (Ice or Desert) = This is a close fight depending on the Dimorph HP. Low (like 300) will die, high (like 2500) will be OK

Wyverns = Wild will kill them, they cant touch it because of speed and the breath will get them (long fight though). Tamed I dunno, never been there yet.

Anything else  (including Griffens, Gallies, whatever) would get shredded before moving

27 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

On PVP I (at low level) had a bunch of vultures on nueteral around my base. Some guy  landed next to the base riding a v high level rock drake. The drake cause "impact dammage" when it lands, and my home guard shredded him and his drake in the blink of an eye. Don't  play there no more cause he concieved a hate for me :)

LOL. He kind of got what he deserved though. If something causes impact damage you probably shouldn't be landing at other player's bases ?

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, LeLanders said:

I think using Dimors and something big, like a stegosaurus. They not only look cool, but stego also acts like a tank while Dimors are the shredders

How about a paracer with a platform saddle? You could build a dino gate box on the platform and when the paracer is attacked open a door and unleash the dimorph horde. It may not be practical but I bet it would look cool.

Archived