What exactly IS getting timed out?

Cowgirl

What exactly IS getting timed out?

So last night I was playing ark and I was just hunting on my giga but suddenly she stopped responding and then for about 2 mins nothing would happen. Of course after about 30 seconds of this I figured this was not an ordinary lag and thought maybe the server had crashed, but it was right there when I refreshed the list and I was able to get back in right away. So it got me wondering exactly what timing out is, what causes it? Thanks for any input!

From hosting, I know that the servers use TCP and UDP packets. The TCP packets are usually guaranteed to arrive at their destination, but UDP is fast and forget. The UDP packets are like being on a Skype call. Any loss of data will be visible. They are designed to be that way. However, very likely if a loss of enough packets happens and the game is expecting them to arrive, it may hang on the game logic.

?

2 hours ago, Sphere said:

From hosting, I know that the servers use TCP and UDP packets. The TCP packets are usually guaranteed to arrive at their destination, but UDP is fast and forget. The UDP packets are like being on a Skype call. Any loss of data will be visible. They are designed to be that way. However, very likely if a loss of enough packets happens and the game is expecting them to arrive, it may hang on the game logic.

?

So the game info didn't transfer correctly?

Archived