slejo

lost character Lost character - HOW IT HAPPEN

Lost character - HOW IT HAPPEN

I was travelling from Aberration (from 223) to Extinction (NA 500). When you travel between servers your data is saved into destination server (NA 500) and deleted in source server (Abe 223).

AND

I have been thrown into NA 500.. after one ot two minutes there was server crash and rollback so.. data of NA 500 was loaded from last backup save... from the time when my character wasnt there yet...

Finally after restart server from backup, there wasn't my character at NA 500 and Abe 223... no character, no gears, no equipped 2 rock drakes..

And the question is.....

Why traveled character data is not written in another file independent from server backup copy? So that character that will arrive into time between server backup and server crash will  not be erased?

Edited by slejo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

That's a good question that's been asked for years. Transfering on the official network is risky.

to be frank about it, transferring to any map except single player is risky.  Single player the file exists in one location.  

the character data is saved separate from the map data on the server, both official and unofficial, the same method is used for saving the character.  If you transfer on to a different unofficial server and the server crashes right after you get there before the map saves, guess what? you've lost you character as well.

Its not where they saves it but WHEN they save it.

Character data, as well as items transferred from Ark data, should be saved the second its done, rather then waiting for a server save.  This would literally cut back the loss of characters and items lost due to server crashes well over 80%. 

Its because nothing gets saved when you do transfer both items and characters, they just get stored in the servers Ram till the server does a map save, and the servers are already having issues with ram because too much data is getting stored and frankly not enough memory is dedicated to each instance they are running on the servers.  I'm guessing the Official instances on the servers have 1gig of ram assigned to them by the way the servers themselves act vs.  structures / number of players actively loaded.

You see it less on Undedicated because frankly, there's a lot less people on those servers and a lot less transferring characters between servers as many don't allow uploads.

12 hours ago, slejo said:

Lost character - HOW IT HAPPEN

I was travelling from Aberration (from 223) to Extinction (NA 500). When you travel between servers your data is saved into destination server (NA 500) and deleted in source server (Abe 223).

AND

I have been thrown into NA 500.. after one ot two minutes there was server crash and rollback so.. data of NA 500 was loaded from last backup save... from the time when my character wasnt there yet...

Finally after restart server from backup, there wasn't my character at NA 500 and Abe 223... no character, no gears, no equipped 2 rock drakes..

Happened to me too recently Traveing from Ab to Center. Strange thing is the server I was transferring to didnt rollback, I had friends playing on it uninterrupted.

Granted stuff like this doesnt happen as much as before, but still, given the fact that DLC's are still coming out and more and more people are transferring characters to them, I would have hoped Wildcard would have nailed this issue down by now. Especially when people can have a single character transferring over to 6 different ARK maps and can only unlock certain boss engrams over certain ones.

Lets not get started on imprinted dinos for boss fights though.... thats a whole other can of worms...

I dont know what the legalities for Alt-Accounts are, but I can certainly see the appeal of them if stuff gets lost in transit.

In short, it shouldnt happen, but it does happen. If Wildcard want people to continue to spend money on DLC's to keep the game going, they are going to have to get safeguards in place. Its not before time.

8 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

Back when I ran an unofficial community, I kept backups of character save files. I would assume that good unofficial admins do this as well.

Official servers do have character backup files but the problem is that they would need to shut down the server for restoring the character to previous data. And that would cause a loot of disruption on services. One way could be to do that once a week but would need manpower to do it depending on how many characters were lost.

just lost my main 2 days ago transferring from ext EU 992 to ext OC 1011. I was moving off server because tribe owner had quit. I had just finished crafting a bunch of building items (most of it tek) and grabbed my last 2 cryofridges of dinos to move to the new base i had started building a couple days before. i hit the join session button and as i was loading in Ext, up pops a nasty lil error 007 200 message. There went my main and dinos poof up in smoke. Dino and items easy enough can be replaced. My character with lvls and boss fight completed is a lil more time consuming. Especially with my imprinted dinos up in ark heaven...lol. With the event coming up this week, i cant see any GMs sorting me out in time. I get it, thats ark. Losing dinos and characters is nothing new, but it really does suck when it does happen. It shouldnt have to be like that.

Edited by KIAMAIA
grammer correction

2 hours ago, Luewen said:

Official servers do have character backup files but the problem is that they would need to shut down the server for restoring the character to previous data. And that would cause a loot of disruption on services. One way could be to do that once a week but would need manpower to do it depending on how many characters were lost.

actually your incorrect on this, character data can be reinstalled on the server while its running as long as the player isn't active on that server.  The character data isn't accessed until the player is actually on the server.

21 hours ago, caleb68 said:

actually your incorrect on this, character data can be reinstalled on the server while its running as long as the player isn't active on that server.  The character data isn't accessed until the player is actually on the server.

Sure if you are running private server. You sure it can be done on official cluster? 

16 minutes ago, Luewen said:

Sure if you are running private server. You sure it can be done on official cluster? 

yes they could do it on official clusters as well, the only time that your character is in a place that would require a restart would be when its uploaded to the actual obelisk data.  However if the character is lost from the obelisk transfer, that would mean they would be restoring the previous character file on the server you transferred from, as there was no backup data from when you arrived at the obelisk, sense character data isn't saved till the map is saved.  Cluster servers only work different for the data that is stored inside the obelisk.