resources respawning on map restoration.

Kaprosuchus

So on more than a few occasions i have had to restore a map that has been closed for quite sometime, this usually involves dropping the entire "SavedArks" into a new installation of the dedicated server software and of course the script needed to launch and update the server being put in the folder with the executable. 

every time this has happened the map loads up fine but all resources that should have been prevented from spawning by player structures are back, sometimes catastrophically deleting dinosaurs in people's yards etc.  Is there any way to prevent this?

• Volunteer Moderator
5 hours ago, Kaprosuchus said:

So on more than a few occasions i have had to restore a map that has been closed for quite sometime, this usually involves dropping the entire "SavedArks" into a new installation of the dedicated server software and of course the script needed to launch and update the server being put in the folder with the executable. 

every time this has happened the map loads up fine but all resources that should have been prevented from spawning by player structures are back, sometimes catastrophically deleting dinosaurs in people's yards etc.  Is there any way to prevent this?

I believe this is just a client-side rendering issue and they are not actually there server-side. Are they harvestable, or you can walk through them?

1 hour ago, Larkfields said:

Just a thought, but when you restore the SavedArk files, do you restore their ini files as well?

I frequently restore save files that are a week or two old, but I've always restored them in a way that kept them with their original ini files.
I've never had a problem with resource spawns in doing this.

Yes I do and if i do a roll back it's never an issue. it's when i transplant the entire Saved folder with configuration and all onto a new install of the server software.

21 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

I believe this is just a client-side rendering issue and they are not actually there server-side. Are they harvestable, or you can walk through them?

they are harvestable and they have deleted dinosaurs before. albeit it's been about a year since i have had to do this, but it's coming up soon where i am going to have to migrate to different hardware and i am just trying to cross my I's and dot my T's :D  I recently tried the migration on a older map and this occured. i was wondering if i was missing something outside of shootergame/saved

I've migrated hardware three times (by copying save folders), but never experienced this problem.
I usually put the "old" drive into the new system as a secondary drive, then copy files over.  Once the new server has been tested, the "old" drive is returned to its original system.

Random thoughts because you've got me curious about the problem:-
When you copy the directories, are the original timestamps on the files kept, or do the files end up with the current date and time?
I wonder: if the files keep their last updated timestamp (i.e. some date in the past), then maybe Ark is seeing that as a signal to respawn resources?  I dunno.

Is your server on Linux or Windows?

If I were you, I would do a test migration and document all the steps you take.  Let us know your process and results.

7 hours ago, Larkfields said:

I've migrated hardware three times (by copying save folders), but never experienced this problem.
I usually put the "old" drive into the new system as a secondary drive, then copy files over.  Once the new server has been tested, the "old" drive is returned to its original system.

Random thoughts because you've got me curious about the problem:-
When you copy the directories, are the original timestamps on the files kept, or do the files end up with the current date and time?
I wonder: if the files keep their last updated timestamp (i.e. some date in the past), then maybe Ark is seeing that as a signal to respawn resources?  I dunno.

Is your server on Linux or Windows?

If I were you, I would do a test migration and document all the steps you take.  Let us know your process and results.

they have the original timestamps

I run it on a debian linux box

I use 7zip to make periodic copies of the entire "Saved" folder and the current script i launch the server with. when i need to migrate I use steamcmd to download the server software onto the new machine i have tried starting up a new island map first, shutting it down then copying in saved folder i backed up, i have also tried copying it straight in right after install and trying to launch it.  When it launches the map loads up but all resources have respawned even those that should be blocked by player structures.

I use 7-zip to create daily backups, and have frequently copied these back into the Saved directory without problems under a temporary name so I can launch them as part of the main cluster and recover characters or dinos that have been lost to in-game bugs.

If there was some "secure" way for you to get your save directory to me, I could launch it on my server and test.
I can try launching an old save in a newly created/downloaded server directory if you like.  I might have time to do this after work tonight.

I'm struggling to understand how the problem can manifest itself, but let me know if there's anything I can do to help test.

I've gone through the process of creating a new installation of the Ark server and copying an archived save over. 
Search for "Kapro Test Island" in the list of unofficial servers.  Password is Kapro.

I can leave it running this evening to see if anything spawns over structures.

Another thought - you didn't accidentally change the range that resources can spawn near structures did you?

Archived