Why do we fight? (PvP)

Logan96

Why do we fight? (PvP)

Not a rant, complaint anything in between. Just a philosophical question from one ark player to the next. I've taken multiple breaks from this game (as I'm sure all of you have) whether it's a significant other, a job/school we need to focus on or merely rage after being raided/wiped we all eventually come back.                                                                                 ---Now I'm sure that all of you PvE players have great reasons for sticking it out this long, but based off personal experience I have to assume that PvP players have a harder time achieving our goals simply due to the barriers that we place upon ourselves. Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't want it any other way, despite the rage inducing moments of being raided by a tribe that progression wise, outclasses me in every way possible way. It's these barriers that keep me coming back to the game.                                     --I still have dreams of taking over a server and defending it with my small tribe of 14 members. Defending it against impossible odds against the constant invasion of stronger tribes who may or may not have grander visions, and eventually succumbing to a force that is greater than my own.               -Fighting for that one moment of glory is what keeps me coming back to ark. Maybe after that moment happens I will finally set down this game for good, or maybe I will create a new unattainable goal. That's just my reason for continuing to come back to this game and enduring the unforgiving world that is ark. What is your reason to fight though? Revenge? Creating a empire such as bldx, SC etc..., or simply for the sake of PvP? This is the core component of ark for me and I would love to hear everyone's voice on why they continue to fight in the never ending war that is ark.                              -sorry for the odd format, this was done on an old phone as I am patiently waiting for Comcast to finish building the poles in my new neighborhood. 

Because in my honest opinion this game has some cool stuff going for it with the complexity and tames and such but its all pointless unless theres something to use it for. PvP is the ultimate challenge. Sure losing stuff is frustrating at times but i enjoy trying to do as much as i can by losing as little as i can. I love the mind games and diplomacy in the community. I love hiding my stuff and I love coming up with new ideas to do things solo (im a small tribes solo player). There has never been a game that challenges me to think outside the box and express my ingenuity quite like this one. That more than outweighs any frustration for me. Ofc i only play in winter cuz life happens but still lol.

It is an interesting question. In current meta on officials resources are aplenty, you can farm slotcap of metal in 15-20 mins, slotcap of poly in 2-3 mins. It almost feels like playing on a boosted unofficial. There is no need for conflict because life is easy and everyone is rich. Yet we fight.  The conflict is mainly borne of boredom. With no real PVE endgame the only thing left is to PVP.

PVP was more interesting in past in my opinion. There used to be stories behind why wars started. Lot of politics, drama and intrigue. Actions had consequences and hard decisions had to be made when you chose to attack or help someone. That element is still there but greatly diminished. Now its more like playing COD, go to a random server and pvp for sake of pvp instead of living in a sandbox world where tribes are competing for resources and base spots.

why do people fight in real life? honestly if you think about it, its pretty much the same thing coming from a philosophical look at it.   Some people just like to cause problems for others, others disagree over stupid stuff and rather then talk it out rationally, decide to go to war with each other.  then you have the racial side of things too, which has been a ongoing thing for years, which I never got, everyone is a mutt, there is no 'pure' races, but just because their skin is a different color they have to start fighting over that.   Your too tall, your too short, your too fat, your slim... people arguing with others trying to impose their moral value on the other individuals without looking at things from their side.

Humans, in short, fight over stupid stuff all the time.  It seems to be beyond their nature not to for the majority of the population.  So, when it comes to PvP games, just look at it like that, they fight because they can, not because there is any real 'valid' reason for it, but just because they can.

On October 19, 2019 at 7:07 AM, covenantgrunt said:

PVP was more interesting in past in my opinion. There used to be stories behind why wars started. Lot of politics, drama and intrigue. Actions had consequences and hard decisions had to be made when you chose to attack or help someone. That element is still there but greatly diminished.

I can agree with this. Sometimes I wonder if it's due to a failure on the communities part. Without a greater enemy to unite us we turn on each other. The interesting thing is that we have plenty of greater enemies in this game, but I see very few servers actually working together to defend themselves. Maybe 1/8 of the servers I've played on the last year have actually had a strong alliance. The rest are small tribes of 3-5 people trying to build up, completely ignoring the inevitable truth that a band of organized raiders WILL eventually find them. At least I hope that's the reason for what you say because if it is then there is hope that we can still get those interesting days back. I'm not quite ready to accept that PvP will never be the same. 

17 hours ago, johnm81 said:

I fight to survive. I fight to protect my family (irl family plays in my tribe). 

Pvp for me comes To my front door from raiders.

That is sort of how I played PvP too. A lot of players mistake it as playing PvE but I feel like waiting for a good reason to retaliate adds more depth to the game. 

Archived