Dedicated Hardwired Server - can't connect via Wifi same network

TheBurliest

Dedicated Hardwired Server - can't connect via Wifi same network

So I've looked all over, and just can't seem to find anyone with exactly the same issue. However I have tried absolutely every fix that helped people in similar situations. So as it stands, I have a dedicated server running off a Windows computer. The computer used to be connected to my 2.4ghz network. When that was the case, I could see the server on my laptop only if I was connected to the 2.4ghz network and could connect without issue. Not from the 5ghz network. But anyone using a different Wifi network could connect regardless of THEIR network type. So due to connection and interference issues, I've hardwired the computer directly to my router. Only problem is now my computer can't see the server in ARK unless my laptop is hardwired. I can see the server in the list of Steam Servers, however when I try to connect, I get the error, "Network Failure Message unable to query server for invite". However I can see and connect to a ton of other unofficial servers without any issues at all.

Now it's really irritating because the server shows up in the Unofficial server list for anyone NOT using my wifi network. Friends can connect in their own home with their own wifi, but I just can't seem to connect. My network has no isolation enabled, no Guest Networks enabled. No network security enabled at this time. Ports are forwarded. Tried with and without mods. I just can't seem to figure out what is causing this issue and could really use some help. I've posted elsewhere, however have yet to have anyone either understand the issue, or be able to help at all. So any help would be really appreciated.

20191017011833_1.jpg

Capture.PNG

Have you ever been able to connect to the server on your own LAN (from any PC in your house to the server in your house) - regardless of wired or wifi connection?

ATM, I suspect your router isn't setup for NAT-Loopback which Ark seems to need in order to allow clients and servers to connect when they're on the same LAN.

[edit]  Is your server hardwired (It should be for best network performance)?  and does it have a static IP?  Don't use DHCP for the server.
Do you get different subnet addresses between the wired LAN and the wifi LAN?  e.g. 192.168.0.10  and 192.168.10.10  If so, what is your subnet mask?

Thank you for the reply. Currently, any device in the house that is hardwired can connect to the network. As an example, I have the hardwired computer doing nothing but hosting the server, and another hardwired computer right next to it that can see the server and connect with no issues at all. Additionally, when the server was connected to the 2.4ghz network, any device on the 2.4ghz network was able to connect without issue, but not from the 5ghz network. Currently, no differences in subnet addresses. All start with 192.168.1. If it helps, the router is a Nighthawk(R) X4S R7800. Firmware is up to date as well. The router does indeed support NAT-Loopback, with no ability to disable it as far as I can tell. And currently no static IP addresses, however there are also currently no IP address conflicts that I can find either. Each device on the network is assigned a unique IP Address.

HOWEVER!!!! Reading over your reply did give me an idea, which DID help me resolve the issue. Although it's definitely one I did not think of.

So I ended up checking the Remote Management section of my router, and somehow my computer got assigned a really random port that I ended up having to add to the already fairly long list of ports to forward, which ended up showing the server on my computer and appears to have resolved the issue. Thanks so much for your input!

• 5 months later...

And now the issue has returned. In addition, I can see two of the three servers that are hosted under LAN, but not connect to the third, no matter what the third map may be. Can connect to The Island and Scorched Earth, but the third map always shows as not responding when checking server info in Steam, but others can connect just fine.

Sounds like you probably have a port issue again. Did you assign the server PC a static IP address? You should do this if you haven't. Then you'll need to verify the forwards are configured properly.

If you're running multiple machines, setting the forwarding in groups can help reduce the clutter. 

My servers use the range 7777-7790, and 27015 – 27025. So I just set the ranges to be forwarded in the router.

Thanks for the response. Ports are definitely forwarded properly but I did find an issue. The two servers I *can* connect to are showing as internal IP addresses in Steam Server, 192.168.x.x where as the third server, the one I cannot connect to, shows an external IP Address. Not quite sure how to fix that, or at least leave it as is but allow myself to connect via wifi. Would assigning a static IP work for that? because it seems like a steam specific issue at this point, not recognizing the server as active, even though it shows in the steam Server List, but showing as not responding.

Edit* Just to clarify things, there are a total of 3 servers being hosted by this computer. Two show up with internal IP Addresses, which I *CAN* connect to. One shows an external IP Address which I cannot connect  to on the same network, though others can.

12 hours ago, TheBurliest said:

Edit* Just to clarify things, there are a total of 3 servers being hosted by this computer. Two show up with internal IP Addresses, which I *CAN* connect to. One shows an external IP Address which I cannot connect  to on the same network, though others can.

If you post your command lines, someone might be able to help.

I had a similar issue where i could see the servers in steam but not ingame. i figured out it was my modem/router(sagemcom) before my actual own homerouter(Nighthawk R7000) that still used the old port forwarding rules and hijacked the connections even though it was in bridgemode. i set it to normal deleted the rules in my sagemcom modem/router and set it back to bridgemode, it fixed it, however seeing that you have clients that can connect i guess this wont help you. so you are saying you can see 2 servers on LAN ip but no servers if you use your external ip? i mean do you connect via LAN option in ARK of Unofficial? i cant see my genesis server in LAN but it shows up in unofficial for some reason.

When you host servers you should always assign a static ip to the server on the lan side so you are certain the ports are being directed to the right ip/server. It can change if you switch the router off or even the server so it is a must.  if you are certain the port forwarding is correct remember to check windows firewall on the server and make sure that the server you cant connect to is added. When you change connection from wifi to LAN windows might consider the "new" LAN network a public network and u wanna change that back to private so the windows firewall rules apply otherwise you have to allow it through public connections as well, so just change it to private if that is the case 

It sounds like a really weird problem, hope you figure it out buddy.

Archived