Pillaring has killed Ark

AppIeJaxx

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, SMP said:

If they fix pillar spam, the tribes will just start building small structures to claim land.  You can't beat them with a rule change, they will simply adapt.

Prime example: Rag release. Big anti pillar patch.. first iteration ruins peoples pre existing builds then the second one the big change is ... add a ladder! 

Within hours all the rag servers were re-pillared.

14 hours ago, AppIeJaxx said:

Pillaring has killed Ark

I left Ark right after Extinction released. All my friends quit and moved on to other games. I just recently attempted to get back into Ark and the current status of Ark is sad. All Official PVE Servers are pillared to the extreme. All rivers and beaches, all ruins, and all good spots "near" resources all claimed by pillars. I joined empty PVE servers there were pillared like crazy. 

If I were a new player., wanting to try out Ark (this is basically the only way they will ever make more money), I would give up. This is unbelievable. Also noticing that people are closing in Obelisks now. 

They need admins on official servers and need to make rules regarding land claiming. This is ridiculous. The moment a similar survival game releases will be the nail in the coffin.

10 hours ago, AppIeJaxx said:

None of you are getting it. You dont own the OFFICIAL SERVER. It's for everyone. You are pillarring everything. Not just at your base to avoid close neighbors. And pillarring rivers and beaches is stupid too. There is no reason for it. And when servers are empty most of the time because the people who play it barely play and those same servers are pillared out the ass, that is just stupid. The point of official servers is for the interaction with other people. It's fun playing with others. If you dont like new players and dont like other players, then YOU should go play unofficial or host your own server. Not the other way around. This IS the biggest issue on Official Ark and is completely unnecessary.

I really get it.  I feel like Official PvE should be like that too, but the issue is that there is no personality exam to get on Official PvE ARK servers.  Because anyone can join, people who would rather NOT build a community and who would rather cause chaos inevitably join.  They find out where the line is and walk as close to crossing into griefing as they can.  The sense of community is as reliable as the game itself, and I personally have seen a lot of unsavory conduct on Official PvE.  Insiding is a thing, PvE raiding is a thing, structure-spam-griefing is a thing, and many more.  I know it seems like I'm drifting from the point, but the truth is, pillaring is the most minor of concerns here.  When you want crystal and some jagoff tribe has foundation'ed all spots or walled off the Crystal Caves, or want to repair your ramp and you can't because someone built the sheerest part of the edge in, you'll wish you had pillared a bigger piece of land.

It is something we can actually use to armor ourselves against being griefed.  Is it still used excessively?  You bet.  But as mentioned by others, a good deal of pillaring is to protect resource spawns and give a render-distance buffer to a base.  I'm sorry you are having a bad shake of things though.  I hope you find a great spot to build!

I have been playing on the same legacy island since beta. Me and one more guy are all who remains, and we decided we will serve as an unofficial guardians for our legacy. We help those who get stucked or cant find their bodies or dinos (I have been searching lost basilos in the ocean TOO MANY times), we provide advice and guidance and if someone lost their dino for a random bug (not for their stupidity or lack of knowledge) we give him a new one or provide kibble for it. Lastly we play a support role for bossfights and tek caves if anyone asks us for help. Thats about all we can do on a server with no official support.

Why am I telling all this? Because we dont do this for free - the only thing in return we want is pillar-free server. As long as you dont pillar (not even beaches or resources, NOTHING), you get the helping hand.

So far I havent seen pillared places in a looong time. And well, its legacy, if you pillar, you get 50 brontos set to wandering on your base for free.

15 hours ago, AppIeJaxx said:

None of you are getting it. You dont own the OFFICIAL SERVER. It's for everyone. You are pillarring everything. Not just at your base to avoid close neighbors. And pillarring rivers and beaches is stupid too. There is no reason for it. And when servers are empty most of the time because the people who play it barely play and those same servers are pillared out the ass, that is just stupid. The point of official servers is for the interaction with other people. It's fun playing with others. If you dont like new players and dont like other players, then YOU should go play unofficial or host your own server. Not the other way around. This IS the biggest issue on Official Ark and is completely unnecessary.

There is legitimate reasons for pillaring. The devs cannot eliminate pillaring without destroying players ability to protect servers.

Pillaring is necessary.

Want to be able to finish building your base? Better pillar a buffer zone

Want to feed your dinos? Better pillar a meat run

Want to ever see wild beavers again? Better pillar 

Resources like metal? Better pillar

Now WC could make large regions of each map designated high resource areas and therefore no build. But this takes away from the open world nature of Ark.

14 hours ago, MooseX said:

IMO Pillaring is against the code of conduct, under Structure Spamming.

Structure Spamming - placing structures down such as pipes or wires for the purpose of disrupting others gameplay is against our code of conduct.

As stated, to break this rule you have to be motivated by disrupting other players. What about pillaring for protection?

Pretty much every pillar spammer we reported on official PvE has been pillar-wiped within 5 hours by the enforcement team. And I am not talking about "I protect my base from neighbours" but "I claim whole chalk hills without building there" or "I claim whole sanctuary on extinction for my 5x5 base in the middle"  

The servers are not actively monitored by the enforcement team. But if you don't report stuff you see its disruptive, it can't be fixed. 

Bro listen, I play this game since it came out in every gamemode and I can tell you Official PVE is now x100 times better than it used to be. 

Before the kibble rework and cryopods not only there was pillars, but if you went close to any base you would get 3 fps because of the insane amount of dinos rendering in one base that you needed for the kibbles.

And this is the good part, the worst part is that since everyone needed to have all these dinos, tribes started competing for slots and every server got tame capped, meaning that if you wanted to start from scratch, you'd have to play without tames which kinda kills the whole purpose of the game. 

Dont like pillers roll on a pvp server, you can also rent your own custom server and have a no pillers rule, I bought a ps4 pro for ark and a digi version of the game and I set up the og ps4 and disk version to run my own private server.

I mostly play on official tho and I learned long ago to piller or be pillered.

On 10/17/2019 at 4:53 AM, Destrian said:

Bro listen, I play this game since it came out in every gamemode and I can tell you Official PVE is now x100 times better than it used to be. 

Before the kibble rework and cryopods not only there was pillars, but if you went close to any base you would get 3 fps because of the insane amount of dinos rendering in one base that you needed for the kibbles.

And this is the good part, the worst part is that since everyone needed to have all these dinos, tribes started competing for slots and every server got tame capped, meaning that if you wanted to start from scratch, you'd have to play without tames which kinda kills the whole purpose of the game. 

if you played official ark at the very start you would know they were the golden days of ark, back then trolling was rare and if it happened there were easy ways to counter it and stop them for good. it is at its worst RN and i promise you it will get worse. 

When I started playing ARK, I had the same problem. Therefore I played on a raft base. But I kept an eye on players who didn't logged in anymore and grabbed their land whenever I could. 3 months later I was one of those who have way too much land. So I became a part of the problem.

My suggestion for a solution: Anchor stones.
Each player should have a limited number of anchor stones, maybe five. And all structures which are not connected to an anchor stone, direct or indirect, should decay after 12 hours.

1 hour ago, MooseX said:

IMO with the implementation of crypods, they should no longer be any valid reason to pillar like crazy.

What exactly does cryopods have to do with pillaring? I don't see a connection.

If you want to breed creatures you have to have a base big enough to accommodate the dinos even if you keep most in cryopods.

14 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

What exactly does cryopods have to do with pillaring? I don't see a connection.

If you want to breed creatures you have to have a base big enough to accommodate the dinos even if you keep most in cryopods.

I agree, I don't see the connection either. I played on officials for about a year, but don't anymore. Pillaring when people agreed on it and it was not about griefing was all about access to your base and to resources. If I failed to pillar an important resource, there would eventually be a new player that would place a few foundations too near it and block that resource from spawning.

A possible partial solution you would think could be added to the game would to just build in a no build area around all critical and rare resources. There is probably a technical reason this has never been done, because it does seem like the best solution I've ever heard.

1 hour ago, wildbill said:

A possible partial solution you would think could be added to the game would to just build in a no build area around all critical and rare resources. There is probably a technical reason this has never been done, because it does seem like the best solution I've ever heard.

Think of all the people who would have to move or have their bases explode.

I have suggested nature reserves before, but it goes against the open world concept. It would need to include both resources and dino spawns.

I don't have problem if someone pillars he's base, render range, metal spawns, Beaver and things like that. What's killing me is when I see 1 guy pillars whole ext snow biom, 1 guy made wyvern trap and have pillared whole Highlands and yes he lock his trap so no one can use it. Owner of our tribe have put pillars whole way from herbi Island to green obi, our base was in herbi and whole island was ours. I warned him few time but with some people u can't argue so I leaved tribe. 

I personally hate doing that, I play now on ext and ragna, in both maps I have like 20 pillars only

8 hours ago, MooseX said:

IMO with the implementation of crypods, they should no longer be any valid reason to pillar like crazy.

Indeed, but cryotec should be available at level 10 or so, not at level 88. I built a large stable for my dinos when I was low level, but after I unlocked cryofridge at level 88 the stable became useless.

Wildcard, if you want to prevent people building crazy large bases, make pod and fridge accessible at level 10.

7 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

Think of all the people who would have to move or have their bases explode.

I have suggested nature reserves before, but it goes against the open world concept. It would need to include both resources and dino spawns.

Well, only those people who build on resource spawns or rare resources would have their bases explode. Me personally, I would never do either of those two things on purpose (possibly by accident). Really, if you are a considerate PvE player, you don't build on resources or block access to them. 

I played on an official Scorched Earth server shortly after those became available. There is (or was) a cave with a lot of fairly rare resources inside. The cave itself was a no build zone, so one example of where ARK actually has no build zones (caves). Someone built gates and walls at one of the two entrances to this cave. At the other entrance they built a base. Then in global claimed the cave as theirs, but would allow access if you asked for their permission first. The most accessible entrance was blocked except to small flyers, the other end sort of "guarded" by their base (you had to go through their base).

If people with this sort of attitude about what can be "claimed" by building a base had their base exploded, then in my opinion that would be a good thing.

This idea that a public server can be claimed because your were there first and built on it is the height of arrogance in my opinion.

That dinos only spawn at a specific location in my opinion is a really odd design choice. This may be built into the game engine, but is not the way all games work. I wrote several mods for Minecraft. In that game, creatures could spawn just about anywhere. You could limit the spawn locations by biome, but you coded in other factors for where stuff would spawn. Things like in water or not in water. On the surface or in a cave, etc. The current method of spawning at a spawner is just asking for a griefer to have fun blocking all spawns of a specific creature.

On 10/18/2019 at 6:37 AM, Kodking194 said:

if you played official ark at the very start you would know they were the golden days of ark, back then trolling was rare and if it happened there were easy ways to counter it and stop them for good. it is at its worst RN and i promise you it will get worse. 

55477b920e1f03fce5c6ac22e98ad97b.png

At the VERY start were the golden days of ark, because nobody knew the game and everyone was having fun learning.

But the fact that you say that PVE it's at its worst right now? Makes me really think you didn't LIVE the tame cap experience. Maybe you heard about it, but I can guarantee that ANYONE who had to deal with that poop will agree that PVE is nowadays WAY better. 

Pillaring is not a major problem, just build somewhere else and place your own pillars. You can play the whole game.

Archived