Pillaring has killed Ark

AppIeJaxx

Pillaring has killed Ark

I left Ark right after Extinction released. All my friends quit and moved on to other games. I just recently attempted to get back into Ark and the current status of Ark is sad. All Official PVE Servers are pillared to the extreme. All rivers and beaches, all ruins, and all good spots "near" resources all claimed by pillars. I joined empty PVE servers there were pillared like crazy. 

If I were a new player., wanting to try out Ark (this is basically the only way they will ever make more money), I would give up. This is unbelievable. Also noticing that people are closing in Obelisks now. 

They need admins on official servers and need to make rules regarding land claiming. This is ridiculous. The moment a similar survival game releases will be the nail in the coffin.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, AppIeJaxx said:

Pillaring has killed Ark

I left Ark right after Extinction released. All my friends quit and moved on to other games. I just recently attempted to get back into Ark and the current status of Ark is sad. All Official PVE Servers are pillared to the extreme. All rivers and beaches, all ruins, and all good spots "near" resources all claimed by pillars. I joined empty PVE servers there were pillared like crazy. 

If I were a new player., wanting to try out Ark (this is basically the only way they will ever make more money), I would give up. This is unbelievable. Also noticing that people are closing in Obelisks now. 

They need admins on official servers and need to make rules regarding land claiming. This is ridiculous. The moment a similar survival game releases will be the nail in the coffin 

Well here's my opinion. It's first come first serve in pve if just returning  to the game ppl that have been on the server will of pillar they're lands it's a sandbox game ppl want to build giant castles \save land for meat run\block resources so ppl can't build on them \or so ppl can't build near to them if u travel deeper inland u will find a nice spot  ...not every server is pillared it may take a bit to find ur place but I'm sure u will.try the legacy cluster great community  ;)

35 minutes ago, AppIeJaxx said:

Pillaring has killed Ark

All rivers and beaches, all ruins, and all good spots "near" resources all claimed by pillars.

With good reason, so nobody blocks access or spawns with gates walls and bases. 

I joined "empty PVE" servers there were pillared like crazy. 

yes all map spawns and popular points of interest will be pillared which have not had bases built on them already. Would you rather spawn into a huge base you cannot get out of?

If I were a new player., wanting to try out Ark (this is basically the only way they will ever make more money), I would give up. This is unbelievable.

Most new players quit servers the first week of playing as their demands are not met.
They feel entitled to join a tribe and build exactly where they want, thinking the game just released or something.
Not to mention spam global chat wanting to join tribe, wanting a tribe that isn't even online to move pillars, etc etc after not even leaving the spawn area being online for 10 minutes.

Also noticing that people are closing in Obelisks now. 

This is definitely actionable as it is blocking access to an obelisk which is dumb and the offending tribe deserves to be wiped.

They need admins on official servers and need to make rules regarding land claiming. This is ridiculous.

Good luck hiring 100's more GM cross-platform. I highly doubt this is within WC budget. They can barely handle the support team they have now.

The moment a similar survival game releases will be the nail in the coffin.

This is one of the main reasons many people are still playing ARK in the first place as there is no other game that compares in scale and content.

um...i am a new player and only been playing for a little over a week. Gf just started playing a couple days ago. Were good. We got a great spot that isn't covered in pillars and for the most part it isn't that bad AND i'm on one of the official pve servers. I gotta say I don't know what server you were playing on by maybe try a different one and you'll have better luck. And I haven't spent to much time checking out all the areas around Valguero but the few Obelisks I've seen aren't closed off at all.

27 minutes ago, AppIeJaxx said:

They need admins on official servers and need to make rules regarding land claiming. This is ridiculous. The moment a similar survival game releases will be the nail in the coffin.

there have been several similar dino survival games along the way and both have sense gone away and can't even play them now.  I had been playing them as well, but just with ark, they had land grab issues as well.   Even other games like Rust and Conan have landgrab issues in pvp.   It doesn't really matter what building game you go into honestly, they all have problems, short of playing minecraft. 

36 minutes ago, AppIeJaxx said:

We've had many new players come to our server, and the ones that are willing to help themselves, many have helped find land to build on, given up land to build on, helped tame dinos, protected them against alphas.  Those that are willing to help themselves, everyone pretty much has been willing to help them.  However the ones who haven't who pop on going "im new, give me dinos" no one bothers to help, I'm guessing everyone else feels the same way as me, if they just want you to give them free stuff they are probably going to be toxic to the server.

7 minutes ago, Lycan187u said:

Well here's my opinion. It's first come first serve in pve if just returning  to the game ppl that have been on the server will of pillar they're lands it's a sandbox game ppl want to build giant castles \save land for meat run\block resources so ppl can't build on them \or so ppl can't build near to them if u travel deeper inland u will find a nice spot  ...not every server is pillared it may take a bit to find ur place but I'm sure u will.try the legacy cluster great community  ;)

on the island, i've pillared herbivore island and have my base built on the front of it.  that keeps all the resources safe which anyone can come and get, and keeps the dino's spawning all over the island so people can tame trikes, anky's, stego's, even a bronto if they are feeling brave.  Then i have a small section pillared over by the redwood forest that goes into the river, this is for meat runs, taming bears, sabers, argy's, even a troodon if your brave, and sometimes otter. Then of course my small outposts that have minimal pillars around them to keep people from pillaring them in so i can build.

2 hours ago, AppIeJaxx said:

Pillaring has killed Ark

This has probably been posted about 1000 times :)

I came back to ARK from being away for around two years. Haven't seen one pillar to reserve a spot on any of the servers I've played on. But guess what, I may be "new", but not dumb. I'm only playing on unofficial servers and would never try another official server. The official servers for this game almost made me quit playing ARK a few years ago. I switched to unofficial and never went back. It isn't just the pillaring. Something about when a player knows there are no consequences for their actions brings out the worst in people.

Now if the devs didn't have such a sick sense of humor and would stop adding stuff like Ichthyornis that steal your stuff and you have no way to get it back, I might just play this game for another year and not quit in disgust.

no matter what WC did in the past to solve this issue...it always leads to the same problem...some ppl just don't learn and think they own the official pve servers
most or at least some pff pve servers are like a big "tribe"-like community while some are total hostile...just gotta find the right one and BAM u good to go :)

None of you are getting it. You dont own the OFFICIAL SERVER. It's for everyone. You are pillarring everything. Not just at your base to avoid close neighbors. And pillarring rivers and beaches is stupid too. There is no reason for it. And when servers are empty most of the time because the people who play it barely play and those same servers are pillared out the ass, that is just stupid. The point of official servers is for the interaction with other people. It's fun playing with others. If you dont like new players and dont like other players, then YOU should go play unofficial or host your own server. Not the other way around. This IS the biggest issue on Official Ark and is completely unnecessary.

6 minutes ago, AppIeJaxx said:

None of you are getting it. You dont own the OFFICIAL SERVER. It's for everyone. You are pillarring everything. Not just at your base to avoid close neighbors. And pillarring rivers and beaches is stupid too. There is no reason for it. And when servers are empty most of the time because the people who play it barely play and those same servers are pillared out the ass, that is just stupid. The point of official servers is for the interaction with other people. It's fun playing with others. If you dont like new players and dont like other players, then YOU should go play unofficial or host your own server. Not the other way around. This IS the biggest issue on Official Ark and is completely unnecessary.

Trust me I get it ? 10k hours on offical....it's a necessary  evil bud...like extinction  for example  if u don't pillar far away from your base any player can place a offline protected  teleporter and teleport  wild corrupt  gigas into ur base...even on the island same issues  wild giga teleport ed to your base...

31 minutes ago, AppIeJaxx said:

Uhh.. the official servers arent dead. Try looking elsewhere besides the beach for a spot lol

15 minutes ago, MooseX said:

IMO Pillaring is against the code of conduct, under Structure Spamming.

Structure Spamming - placing structures down such as pipes or wires for the purpose of disrupting others gameplay is against our code of conduct.

Yes pipes and wires are against  the code of conduct  but pillars arnt unless intention  to block another players build

50 minutes ago, AppIeJaxx said:

None of you are getting it. You dont own the OFFICIAL SERVER. It's for everyone. You are pillarring everything. Not just at your base to avoid close neighbors. And pillarring rivers and beaches is stupid too. There is no reason for it.

I beg to differ, There IS a reason for it. Ever heard of Spino Sails? They are these great little things only dropped from killing spinos, which are used for summoning bosses. Guess where one of the only places these dinos spawn? DING DING DING! RIVERS!
Also, there are these great little things called rafts and motor boats. I'm sure you have heard of them.
Lots of players use them for a variety of different things, such as: Mobile taming platforms, farming boats, heavy transport, mobile bases etc. Which is why most rivers are pillared to avoid dino spawns and travel chokepoints being blocked by ignorant player bases and walls.
Pillars are not to blame here.

And when servers are empty most of the time because the people who play it barely play and those same servers are pillared out the ass, that is just stupid.

Its actually quite smart, in order to get the full benefit of the game, it is required to have a base on every map, since each different map offers benefits the other maps do not. Pillars are not to blame here.

The point of official servers is for the interaction with other people. It's fun playing with others. If you dont like new players and dont like other players, then YOU should go play unofficial or host your own server. Not the other way around. This IS the biggest issue on Official Ark and is completely unnecessary.

I would encourage you to do some research and ask around to hear some horror stories from some unsuspecting and naive players.
Most will tell you why recruiting strangers into your tribe (especially on PVE) is mostly a bad idea.
I know allies that have even been screwed over by real life friends, and/or tribe mates that have played together for years!
Quite simply the game requires too much time and effort to risk all that hard work being destroyed or stolen in 1 second. This is why most tribes have few members or are mostly just solo.

Not all pillars are a form of oppressing the weak and new. Sometimes, people want to protect the resources of the map that you may not be thinking about. Some dinosaurs for example, are tied to boss battles, and if they vanish from the map, you can't enter bosses on that entire map anymore because of new bases. Or just makes it silly hard to even get the resources because of the reduced number. I am just saying from playing the actual game, not all pillars are a form of bad play. Seems like this is a very grey area imo. The problem is, new players don't see the reason why something is done like it is, and thus complain about the land hogging. Not saying all pillars are put up for good reasons for the betterment of the entire map. Some people genuinely don't want a new base to appear right next to theirs for example. But, I have seen people pillar the beach where player spawns would appear, to protect against some new player building a huge base right where they first spawned, causing everybody else who spawns there to be trapped.

10 hours ago, AppIeJaxx said:

Pillaring has killed Ark

They are nowhere near completely pillared. The only places that are heavily pillared on the 5 servers i have bases on are the spawn zones. And thats because 1,000+ other people had the same idea as you and got there first.

My advice would be to take whatever you can find, no matter how crappy... and start looking away from spawn zones.  You're not going to get hidden lake on island, or the canyon on ragnarok, or any of the really cool ruins on the Center on day 1.

back when i played official i would just lead something down to destroy the pillars. i once led a giga down to a spot where i wanted to build. i asked the person who made the pillars why they placed them there and if they could move them. they said they were there to troll people and he would not move them. so i decided to fight back. i found a giga and slowly but surely led it back to the pillars and even his base. the thing cleared the pillars in a matter of bout an hour. now with all the newer creaturs that can brake stone people can just use the same tactic i did. or just eventually move to unofficial servers (possibly the better choice)

3 hours ago, Lycan187u said:

like this for example!!! this base was built on a spawn look at these poor souls trapped here forever!! like a body totem pole^^  fairly old pic lol my potatoe of a laptop I barely made it out of that spawn trap lol

491E5772B88C77B2978377B75A2589A1590F84C6

hehehe, i remember those times. spawning in someones base and trying to find a way out. it even happens on unofficial servers aswell.

Archived