Pillaring has killed Ark

AppIeJaxx

i tried an official pve server for a couple hours. Pillars everywhere, unable to build anywhere, looked around for a bit and I had enough, left and will never be back. Now i play on unofficial servers with clear rules against pillaring. pillars everything is just greedy and unacceptable, good luck getting new players lol

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think anyone who has played ark for a while has felt both ways about this subject.  I was once anti-pillaring, then my friends and I began to see more of the endgame.  As more people move in around you, you have to venture farther and farther for wood and stone, thatch and flint.  Meat runs take longer and longer, which is time out of your day.  After a certain point the PVE game is all about a scheduled grind.  Oh, then that guy, you know, THAT guy, set up a shack right outside my dino gate, I couldnt even get out.  Eventually you discover the magic that is the Rex, and how few spawn areas there actually are for this guy when you are digging for a 150 to breed with your other 150, and some dirty little nub has his hump shack on top of one of those few.  But you get yourself a rex line going, start wanting to do boss fights, and its caving time....you need guns, finally, on pve.  So you probably want a mammoth or a beaver to mass harvest wood for charcoal for bullets.  Well everyone built on the beaver spawns, and the north is dominated by alpha tribe, looking more like a labyrinth than a biome, but they will sell you a mammoth if you'll farm spino sails!  great!  those spinos have killed me so many times, I got this.  But wait, why, who builds a base here, of all places, here.  So no spino sails, no mammoth, no beaver, guess crossbow it is, doable, but some pew pew would be better.

You get the idea.  I would love to say that people shouldn't pillar, but I can't.  Now maybe a better way to pillar would be nice.

I played PVE back in the days of not even being able to place a campfire in the Ragnarok Highlands, but I also pillared those great metal plateaus in the canyon for all to use. So I am anti-spam but pro-resource protection. I think a good alternative to consider would be the claim flag system they used in Atlas. There were plenty of bugs and flaws in Atlas PVE, but it is a good starting concept.

1. Two types of flags: base claims and resource claims. I'm sure the radius could be adjusted to have different sizes of each.

2. All flags are tracked and could be limited to a certain number per tribe.

3. There could be an upkeep cost of resources over time, so you have to do more than login to preserve your claims.

People will use multi-tribe loopholes to get around limits, but it's better than what we have now as far as structure spam is concerned. Large areas of land would be much less of an eyesore if one flag could cover the area of say 20 or 30 pillars.

1 hour ago, Fisherman said:

I played PVE back in the days of not even being able to place a campfire in the Ragnarok Highlands, but I also pillared those great metal plateaus in the canyon for all to use. So I am anti-spam but pro-resource protection. I think a good alternative to consider would be the claim flag system they used in Atlas. There were plenty of bugs and flaws in Atlas PVE, but it is a good starting concept.

1. Two types of flags: base claims and resource claims. I'm sure the radius could be adjusted to have different sizes of each.

2. All flags are tracked and could be limited to a certain number per tribe.

3. There could be an upkeep cost of resources over time, so you have to do more than login to preserve your claims.

People will use multi-tribe loopholes to get around limits, but it's better than what we have now as far as structure spam is concerned. Large areas of land would be much less of an eyesore if one flag could cover the area of say 20 or 30 pillars.

Even the land claim flags in Atlas failed horribly,  I remember before the great wipe I sailed from D11 all the way up to the top right corern of the map, and across to the left, hitting multiple grids as I went, and couldn't find one piece of land that wasn't taken,  I eventually ended up on a small island another tribe freed a small spot for me to build a house, which was nice of them as it was right on the beach and allowed me to make a ship dock, but still, it failed horribly, and people were still having aweful times finding a place to build, that and the amount of time it takes to sail anywhere when your first going,  tried the game recently, and even with the wind full at my back it took me a hour to travel across 2 grids to a island that looked like it was free on the map, but even it had structures all over it.

Thing is with any survival game, land claiming is always going to be a issue.   The only times you don't see this issue is when its pvp, and you can destroy their structures.

common practices people use for claiming land that I've seen so far:

• Pillar and ladder (most common) 
  • Fence foundation and pillar
  • Foundation and pillar
  • 2 foundations
  • pillar and ceiling

Even if they kill those methods people will start using different ones, like sticking little pill boxes everywhere (single foundation buildings).   to be honest, its a problem that's not a simple fix.  Even with Atlas and their claim flags they had upkeep costs, just like the ships do, and you had to make sure to maintain the flags to keep them up.   But even with that, there were tribes that had claim flags all over the world that weren't going away.

Everytime I see people mention land claim flags it just make me think "here's another method of pillaring".   Your idea of x per tribe in theory sounds good, but just makes it simpler for the mega tribes to take over the maps using the multi-tribe aspect.

to be perfectly honest, there is no real simple fix for it, else every survival game would do it that allows building.

How to solve pillaring in PvEPvP weekend.  Problem raptoring solved.  Also just have a decent admin on your server.  And by decent I mean someone who has EXPERIENCE using all of the console commands.  I swear, the last server I was on before I bought my own had a lead admin who "had been an admin since Ark launched" but then when someone joined the server and started griefing people with pipe-spam he tried to fix it by deleting the pipes one at a time instead of just using the destroytribestructures command.

Ive played the game since the get go, quit, came back, quit, came back again fairly recently. Pillaring will never go away. Its on a grand scale. People will toss out the same tried and true excuses they have been since day one:

"Im protecting areas"

"There are plenty of other great spots if you look around"

"I didnt have any issues when I started"

"Play on a different server"

"Play on an unofficial server"

"wah, go play a differernt game!"

When you actually get into the game and look: its not truly about protecting resources, its about not wanting people to build right up your ass which people often do. Its like when you park in a parking lot and park WAY at the end of the lot where no one is and come out of the store to find a car parked on either side of you. People tend to gravitate towards a spot someone built already.

Pillaring is also a way people try to force others out of an area. There are literally entire eco systems pillared off on officials. That goes beyond just not wanting people to build near you or protecting resources. Its just being a d*** period. There is literally no justification for it.

What amazes me is the free time people have to build elaborate bases and refresh their pillars on a weekly basis. Whats even more frustrating are the folks who pillared to hell and dont even play the map or play the game much anymore really but will log in just to refresh all the junk.

The game absolutely does not cater to new players who want to try out PVE on an official server. No getting around it. But then again if you look at Dev interviews, they never expected Ark to continue on to the point it has now so the long term was probably never really thought out.

Further, if you search posts going back 2 or 3 years ago, you will see countless suggestions for the pillar problem; some good ideas, some bad, none of them at all ever implemented. Given how long its been an issue and how it continues to plague the game, assume it to be part of Ark overall and just the "gaming experience".

• 4 months later...

Yep me and my grp of 10 friends all quit because we stopped playing for alittle after we became alphas on a server and it got boring but we came back and wanted to try maybe a different map..but its literally impossible to start a new base theres literally no place not pillared off by someone 

On 10/15/2019 at 2:51 PM, Aylana314159 said:

The fact that people still play official PvE implies that it isn't dead.

You realize that its maybe 2-3 people PER PVE SERVER that play right? Those are the original people that prob transferred their high lvl character, made pillars the instant the spawned in, and spammed the living f*ck out of the map with pillars

1 hour ago, Luciferstwin said:

You realize that its maybe 2-3 people PER PVE SERVER that play right? Those are the original people that prob transferred their high lvl character, made pillars the instant the spawned in, and spammed the living f*ck out of the map with pillars

Which in turn suggests that Ark isn't dead and that people have just woken up to the fact that private servers beat the hell out of official servers.  Like so many things, 'pillaring' is pretty much an official servers problem. ARK is truly an awesome game when experienced on a private server. 

1 hour ago, Luciferstwin said:

lol

PVE has  more players than PVP....

And there is 10 times more PVP server for no reason...

Look, pillars are good and bad... 
I for example always pillar around my base.. why ? because I dont wan't to render other peoples bases :) ... I dont have a high end pc and I can't afford one. 

Do they need to adress the pillaring system, ofc! They must and I dont even mind a 1 week delay of geneses to adress pillaring and how it works. 
instead of pillars....
Good way is to place a structure in an area " Like the leach structure " and that allows you to claim the land around it.  

On 2/25/2020 at 11:29 AM, Luciferstwin said:

There is always the better alternative for PvE of single player mode and private communities with ENFORCED rules against pillaring, land hoarding, actual base claiming and required buffer zones.

16 hours ago, Beerwithzombies said:

Our PVE Genesis server has the entire snow biome pillared by one tribe. Not a section of it, but literally the entire biome.... 

The tribes that started building there were pillared in by the tribe to drive them out of the snow. 

Report with screenshots and a dev will come and remove ALL of their pillars, within a day or 2 - same happened on Rag and they move fast if they are pillaring around people to restrict their building.

Archived