What's the difference between a sabre tooth and a dire wolf

lilGhost

I'm not sure which would be best for chitin, they both have a difference in size, stats and the saber can hold a saddle while the wolf can not. I would recommend a direwolf over a saber because of the alpha buff and stat difference but if u have good saddles then sabers would be better and depends what your using it for, some caves can fit sabers but not wolves.

For collecting chitin you want a wolf, they ARE squishier though because they have no saddle. Also megatherium are AMAZING for chitin. If you get a good one and hit the artifact of the hunter cave on 2x you can get thousands and thousands of chitin. I have like 15 rexes and 4 vaults of chitin because of that tactic.

on SE, I just head out to the flat desert area on my rex and chomp all the bugs for chitin, gets me more then I know what to do with.

Wolves if more then 1, you can get the alpha buff, which helps make up for no saddle (making wolf howl) seems to work on up to 4 wolves at a time.

Sabers advantage as others said, the saddle and they can fit in some caves the wolves cant.

if your going single dino, and those were my two choices - saber with a good saddle.

couldn't say which would be better for chitin however, I've never used either for gathering, just killing.  I do like wolves when you can do the pack thing, but sabers can be equally as tough, even ravagers.  

Speaking of Ravagers - they get a pack buff & can wear saddles, plus have a good bleed effect.  With valgeuro out now, you can tame them there without going to aberration.

2 minutes ago, Oldster said:

Odd, I would have thought wolves were smaller.

Cant you just loot a dozen beaver dams instead of farm chitin?

some servers its really hard to get cp from beaver dams, people who don't know better or just don't care like to leave all the wood in the dam, and others build right on top of the dam spawns.  

Archived