TEK Armor

BobManSvK

Suggestion

10 replies to this server topic

Personally, I do not use tek armor all that often, even though I have the levels to do so and suits to wear - so this issue hasn't affected me too often. 

However, speaking up on behalf of the others on the cluster I play on, I would have to agree. This is something that needs to be addressed. 

If the issue is with the "tells" tek gear may give off in comparison to regular gear with the flashy lights and such - then fine, those servers with PVP settings turned on may want to keep it as is where skins cannot be added to tek. 

For those with PVE settings powered however, skins should be allowed. I have had many ask my why they cannot and quite honestly I cannot think of a reason why it would matter. It is one of the few times where I have had to say "Because Wildcard says so". Most of the time - there is a reason. It may not be one we can agree with, but it does have some sort of foundation - if even a shaky one.

This is one of the points however, where there really isn't a reason I have have been able to find. In all honesty - the PVP reasoning of having lights on the suit is the first I have read that I may be able to use - though I doubt it they will agree with the statement as it again, wouldn't apply to our PVE settings. 

As a last result, to compromise, it would be nice that if they,

• A) add a checkbox in server set up that would allow for the ability to use normal skins on tek suites to be turned on or off during game play for unofficial, dedicated, hosted, and single player games, or
  • B) add some tek suit specific skins that could be applied to tek suits to give the users a variety of styles to choose from. And if they can't think of any- all they would have to do is reach out to some modders. I would imagine there are plenty of "tek level" designs out there that people would like to see as skins for their suits in game. Not only that, I am pretty sure some of them would be thrilled to have their creations added to the main game. 

1 hour ago, TinyHippo said:

Why, WHY can't we put hln-a on a tek shield?
What kind of ridiculousness is this?
HLN-A doesn't even override the normal shield's appearance, and if anything makes you stand out more because of its own light, so there is absolutely no reason to not be able to put it onto a tek shield

Honestly, I am not sure. 

My best guess is that tek item are coded not to accept skins, rather than coding skins to skip over tek items when it comes to placement. 

If that is the case, then when the HLN-A was coded as a skin, they simply didn't adjust the Tek Shield to allow skins. It would have required a new code with an exception to the rule of the other tek items and may have been seen as more effort that it is worth. 

I am not saying that is 100% the case, but it was the one of the only reasons I could come up with. But I am not an experience coder - So I could be off the ball on that one. ?

But I do agree, from the standpoint of what the HLN-A does and its visual representation, if anything it would seem more suited to tek, being that it is a tek device of sorts. And the PVP reasoning wouldn't apply as it makes you stick out like a sore thumb regardless of the items you are wearing. 

4 hours ago, TinyHippo said:

Nice guess, but that's not correct actually, I thought the same at first too though.

Tek gear can all accept skins, but the skin has to be able to go onto Tek gear for it to work, and no skin is set to do that. 

Shield skins are set to be able to go onto the base shield (all shields besides the Tek shield are child's of that) so that's why the Tek shield cant be skinned.

I know this for a fact because I made a mod allowing this stuff (not perfect since not all skins are in the devkit for me to fix, so a bit is left out, and obviously only steam users benefit.

Well, you learn something new every day. 

I am sure WC has their own reasons then - whatever they may be. 

I still agree that the HLN-A should be added to the tek set - it visually fits better and seems to be appropriate, but for whatever reason they decided against doing do. 

I support the topic using skins on Tek Armor. Skins are designed to be applied to armor, and the Tek Suite is a type of armor, so there's logically no reason why they aren't applicable.

What's the deal about having the best armor in game without the abilitiy of skinning? Please tell me somebody from Wildcard Studios.

Anyway, I've got favorite skins from a mod and like my character to look like this. As long as ARK is a game with many customiziations, there's no good reason to have it cut in some things. That's absolutely not intuitive.

PvP doesn't interest me at all. There're a lot of mods out there like the most favorite, S+, which are made best for PvE, so if that should ever be a reason then apply the not-skin-a-bility of Tek Armor to the PvP switch in server config; or create a different one.

On 10/14/2019 at 11:02 AM, SapphireSam7 said:

• A) add a checkbox in server set up that would allow for the ability to use normal skins on tek suites to be turned on or off during game play for unofficial, dedicated, hosted, and single player games, or
  • B) add some tek suit specific skins that could be applied to tek suits to give the users a variety of styles to choose from. And if they can't think of any- all they would have to do is reach out to some modders. I would imagine there are plenty of "tek level" designs out there that people would like to see as skins for their suits in game. Not only that, I am pretty sure some of them would be thrilled to have their creations added to the main game. 

I like that
A for pve and B for both pvp and pve so pvp players aren't forced into one design
I'd love to see both of those added

And while I'm here, I have a very specific issue:
Why, WHY can't we put hln-a on a tek shield?
What kind of ridiculousness is this?
HLN-A doesn't even override the normal shield's appearance, and if anything makes you stand out more because of its own light, so there is absolutely no reason to not be able to put it onto a tek shield

1 hour ago, SapphireSam7 said:

Well, you learn something new every day. 

I am sure WC has their own reasons then - whatever they may be. 

I still agree that the HLN-A should be added to the tek set - it visually fits better and seems to be appropriate, but for whatever reason they decided against doing do. 

I'm pretty sure their reason is simply that they hadn't thought about it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say they're doing a bad job; something like that would be easy to overlook I think.

I just hope they come back and do something here

I agree completely

I understand that it could make sense for balancing purposes on pvp (tek has glowing lights, making you easier to spot as a tradeoff for its abilities and protetction,) but an option at least would be great.

It makes no sense that they have us do so much for some skins (chronicle skins required scouring the whole map, manticore skins require killing a boss, deus skins require killing the king titan) but then they don't let us put those skins on our best armor.
It was seriously annoying on Extinction too. They gave us quality tek armor and lots of element which lets us actually seriously use tek armor frequently, even if the repair cost is (reasonably and fairly) high. But then they don't let us use our favorite cosmetics on it. Then they add in new skins after as well (deus skins, new corrupted avatar skin) which of course further make us choose between cosmetics or tek.
Honestly I've forgone tek armor before just so I could use my skins.

Basically it's a feature which could only ever make sense in pvp, as it's just a (subjectively) severe nuisance in pve. I'd highly appreciate it if they went and added an option to enable skins on tek armor.

12 hours ago, SapphireSam7 said:

Honestly, I am not sure. 

My best guess is that tek item are coded not to accept skins, rather than coding skins to skip over tek items when it comes to placement. 

If that is the case, then when the HLN-A was coded as a skin, they simply didn't adjust the Tek Shield to allow skins. It would have required a new code with an exception to the rule of the other tek items and may have been seen as more effort that it is worth. 

I am not saying that is 100% the case, but it was the one of the only reasons I could come up with. But I am not an experience coder - So I could be off the ball on that one. ?

But I do agree, from the standpoint of what the HLN-A does and its visual representation, if anything it would seem more suited to tek, being that it is a tek device of sorts. And the PVP reasoning wouldn't apply as it makes you stick out like a sore thumb regardless of the items you are wearing. 

Nice guess, but that's not correct actually, I thought the same at first too though.

Tek gear can all accept skins, but the skin has to be able to go onto Tek gear for it to work, and no skin is set to do that. 

Shield skins are set to be able to go onto the base shield (all shields besides the Tek shield are child's of that) so that's why the Tek shield cant be skinned.

I know this for a fact because I made a mod allowing this stuff (not perfect since not all skins are in the devkit for me to fix, so a bit is left out, and obviously only steam users benefit.

Archived