boss dossiers Major Issue with Boss Dossiers (Has existed for months)

NeddyTheNoodle

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/4/2019 at 1:41 PM, CyberAngel67 said:

I have reported about 50+ bugs over the years of very simple bugs that could easily be fixed, not one of them has ever been fixed. No matter how much noise you make, WildCard just refuse to fix anything that is not considered critical.

How do you know they are simple bugs that can be easily fixed?

• 5 weeks later...

Can't unlock Boss Dossiers

Has anybody figured out how to unlock the boss dossiers? I've been unable to unlock them, although I've tried a lot:

• admincheat DefeatBoss [PlayerID copied from ARKon] "Uberspider" 2
  • showmyadminmanager and then clicking the user, copying the PlayerID and then using the DefeatBoss cheat typing in the box:
    • [Copied the PlayerID] Uberspider 2
    • DefeatBoss [Copied the PlayerID] Uberspider 2
  • cheat DefeatBoss 0 "Uberspider" 2 in a single player world
  • The above in a clean single player world

What I get is the tek engrams as if I defeated the boss, but I don't get the dossiers. Anything else I can try that I haven't tried?

This is also an issue on the unofficial cluster I play on (PC client). We have killed all except beta and alpha king titan and yet the dossier are not unlocked. I am having similar issues with the hln4 notes from at least the snow cave on IS. I have not checked the rest since they were released.

This is also bugging me as a completionist, but it is also keeping me from unlocking the hairstyle tied with the achievement for finding 100% notes on IS.

tl;dr:
My question is: Is there anybody out there who didn't get the boss dossier (any boss) on their first try/tries, but got it later? Do you know how much later you got it? Did you do something differently?

Ok. Tried something else:

We restarted the server with all vanilla settings (except the admin password and mods) and added single player settings. One in our tribe died and created a new survivor, admin-cheated him to lvl 30+, did the gamma spider.

I got the dossier, but noone else. The new survivor got the tekgrams but not the dossier. The only thing I did differently was that I was admin and I started the boss fight. Seems super random that it worked for one player and not for the others. It would've made more sense if that one player was the new survivor: I've read the thread by @NeddyTheNoodle with the theory that on a server older than a week or two, the survivors are borked and can't recieve the dossier anymore. But our server is on day 1000+ (so over 1000h old?) and my survivor has been on it for almost all that time (I turn the server off when I'm not playing). So my survivor is about 1000h old on that server and recieved the dossier...

We're now in the process of grinding the boss since one of my mates still want it, to see if we can get it for him. I'll update if I find anything new.

So now I'm wondering - are there any others out there who didn't get the boss dossier at first, but then they got it at a later try? Do you have any idea what you did to make it happen?

I appreciate the callout. Not going to lie, after trying to get this bug fixed for about 5 months to no avail, I've simply given up. There not enough people that care about an issue this small for it to get fixed. It takes too much willpower of mine to continue to try and isolate what the issue is exactly. I guess it's good to know there are at least a few other people out there that care enough to also speak up about it. ?

Update: We found a workaround that seems to work! Entering the boss arena as an admin seems to give you the dossiers. This won't work on official servers, unfortunately, but for anyone on their own servers or where an admin is willing to give admin for a short time (although I wouldn't blame anyone not wanting to give that out willy nilly), it's a workaround that can fix it. 

We've tried this with three people so far:

• First time we tried a lot of other things as well (described in my previous post), Gamma Broodmother.
  • Second time we tried with the person being admin and starting the boss fight, Gamma Broodmother.
  • Third time we tried with just the person being admin, Beta Broodmother.

All three times the person being admin got the dossier after the successful boss fight, so that seems to be the key. We'll try this when we get to doing Gamma Megapithecus but I'm very hopeful we found a workaround that works for us (small server just for irl friends so giving admin is not an issue in our case). Can this work for you @NeddyTheNoodle?

12 hours ago, Zahlea said:

Update: We found a workaround that seems to work! Entering the boss arena as an admin seems to give you the dossiers. This won't work on official servers, unfortunately, but for anyone on their own servers or where an admin is willing to give admin for a short time (although I wouldn't blame anyone not wanting to give that out willy nilly), it's a workaround that can fix it. 

We've tried this with three people so far:

• First time we tried a lot of other things as well (described in my previous post), Gamma Broodmother.
  • Second time we tried with the person being admin and starting the boss fight, Gamma Broodmother.
  • Third time we tried with just the person being admin, Beta Broodmother.

All three times the person being admin got the dossier after the successful boss fight, so that seems to be the key. We'll try this when we get to doing Gamma Megapithecus but I'm very hopeful we found a workaround that works for us (small server just for irl friends so giving admin is not an issue in our case). Can this work for you @NeddyTheNoodle?

Well, if you were able to reproduce it multiple times and get the dossiers each time, then yeah I assume that's definitely a workaround for it. I always play on my own mostly private servers, but I choose to refrain from setting an admin password. I believe theres also a command that just gives someone the person that issues it every single explorer note in the game, but that also requires admin cheats.

I'll probably do that whenever I get around to killing a boss.

on a side note, I suppose being an admin while killing the boss and getting the dossiers would be consistent with singleplayer, since you get them regardless on there where admin mode is always on.

Unfortunately, this fact doesn't fix the bug itself and all the people who play on official are still screwed. Although...  it's not as if any of them care anyways since most players are on pvp I think.

3 minutes ago, NeddyTheNoodle said:

Well, if you were able to reproduce it multiple times and get the dossiers each time, then yeah I assume that's definitely a workaround for it. I always play on my own mostly private servers, but I choose to refrain from setting an admin password. I believe theres also a command that just gives someone the person that issues it every single explorer note in the game, but that also requires admin cheats.

I'll probably do that whenever I get around to killing a boss.

on a side note, I suppose being an admin while killing the boss and getting the dossiers would be consistent with singleplayer, since you get them regardless on there where admin mode is always on.

I get that. About the cheat to get all explorer notes: I haven't tried it, but there is also a cheat to trigger defeating of the boss which didn't work. But maybe the give all explorer notes triggers different code and thus works. I haven't dared try it because I don't want to cheat my progress.

Yes, that's what I figured as well - and that the people who didn't get it when in single player either weren't admins or were running their server with the single player setting. The latter is what we tried first and that didn't work.

13 hours ago, Zahlea said:

I get that. About the cheat to get all explorer notes: I haven't tried it, but there is also a cheat to trigger defeating of the boss which didn't work. But maybe the give all explorer notes triggers different code and thus works. I haven't dared try it because I don't want to cheat my progress.

Yes, that's what I figured as well - and that the people who didn't get it when in single player either weren't admins or were running their server with the single player setting. The latter is what we tried first and that didn't work.

Yeah, what I meant was that I'll probably try your solution, not the admin command. The admin command would feel pretty horrible since it would give me every single note. apologies for my confusing post.

11 hours ago, NeddyTheNoodle said:

Yeah, what I meant was that I'll probably try your solution, not the admin command. The admin command would feel pretty horrible since it would give me every single note. apologies for my confusing post.

Ah, right! Yeah, when trying different things, I accidentally triggered having beaten Gamma Dragon on my character (still didn't get the dossier though, just the engrams). Really annoying to have progress that I didn't earn! Now I can't wait til we get to Gamma Dragon so that I'm not ahead anymore.

I am wondering if this is an issue of getting credit for the kill in the same way that leveling chibi is. I can kill an alpha by sending in dinos and get no chibi xp. I can kill an alpha using tek rifle and get no credit for it. I only get credit if the dino I am riding gets the killing blow.

Perhaps the issue is not getting credit unless you are riding a dino that gets the killing blow?

6 hours ago, PsychoWo said:

I am wondering if this is an issue of getting credit for the kill in the same way that leveling chibi is. I can kill an alpha by sending in dinos and get no chibi xp. I can kill an alpha using tek rifle and get no credit for it. I only get credit if the dino I am riding gets the killing blow.

Perhaps the issue is not getting credit unless you are riding a dino that gets the killing blow?

When I got the dossier while being logged in as admin, I was sitting on a Daeodon away from the fight. The dino I sat on didn't even get one blow on Broodmother and I still got the dossier. We also had people getting the killing blow with the dino they were on without getting the dossier (but getting it later when we did the boss again with them logged in as admins). So I think the key here is only whether you're logged in as admin.

Reading through the rest of the comments in this post, I've yet to see someone say they got the dossier in a situation where they weren't admin: i .e. people seem to only be able to unlock it in single player, but not always. My assumption is that the ones that are admin in their single player (i.e. true single player) get it, but people that just enable the single player setting are not admins and then they don't get it.

Archived