boss dossiers Major Issue with Boss Dossiers (Has existed for months)

NeddyTheNoodle

Major Issue with Boss Dossiers (Has existed for months)

Hello there.

Let me make this brief,

The bug involves an inability for survivors to unlock the boss dossier / notes. If you kill a boss on any official server, unofficial server, or singleplayer world, that is at least a week old, you will not get the dossier. This is a pretty serious bug for those of us who are completionists such as myself.

If you'd like more people to hear about this, please up vote it, and if you don't believe me, feel free to try it yourself. The strange thing is that it works fine if you beat the boss right at the beginning of a server, for example if you admin cheat into a boss arena right at the start of a world and kill the boss. This bug ONLY affects servers that are atleast a week old, which includes all official servers of course.

Here is the evidence of my character not having the dossiers.

Seeing as bug reports never work, I really hope this gets addressed.

All you have to do to reproduce the bug is to go on any official server, kill a boss, and realize that you do not receive the dossier.

Keep in mind, if you already have the dossiers from beating bosses before, it's likely that you did it before the bug came about. This bug only made it so players who attempt bosses from here on out cannot get the dossiers. It hasn't been around forever.

2.JPG

EDIT: July 23 / 2020

Being an admin doesn't matter anymore. It appears that they broke it one step further because even if you have enablecheats on, killing a boss does not give you the dossier anymore. It's pretty laughable that they haven't fixed this in, what almost two years now?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 hours ago, caleb68 said:

I'm on PC myself and haven't had this issue, both with new characters and old.

Hey Caleb, I'd like to ask you a few questions.

How old is your server that you got the boss dossiers on?

How many days after it started did you get the dossiers?

Are you sure you have the dossiers fully unlocked? or is the locked icon still on them, but you can click on them.

1 hour ago, Larkfields said:

Steam version of Ark or Windows 10 store version ?

Did you kill the boss with cheat commands, or did you actually kill it?

Create a video of your gameplay and post it to youtube.  Then post a bug report.

I have the steam version, and no I haven't killed the bosses with commands on my servers.

Okay, so I've experienced this bug for multiple months now. I originally thought it was an issue that only afflicted my own non-dedicated servers. Recently I found out a lot of other people are experiencing this, even on official servers. I went to tons of twitch streams and checked with people that had beaten bosses and sure enough they did not have the notes either.

After lots of testing, I've realized that it allows you to get the dossiers if you kill the bosses extremely early on in a server life time, like right away. Whether using commands or not, you'll get the dossier no problem. The problem is that servers that exist for a decent amount of time, atleast a few weeks, break the characters or something to where they can no longer get the dossier. I've seen this over and over again, and it would explain why people arent getting them on official, and I am not able to get them on my servers since it usually takes me a few weeks to get up to doing the bosses.

• Volunteer Moderator
3 hours ago, RipRavage said:

This happened to me when I killed the King Titan, I got the implant but for some reason I didn’t get the skins or the dossier.  Kinda a major bummer for all the work I had to put in to pull that off by myself.

Go into singleplayer, and use the following command:

cheat DefeatBoss 0 "King Titan" 2

It will not update your implant on officials, or any other multiplayer session but you will unlock the dossier and the skins since these are unlocked in your local profile.

8 hours ago, NeddyTheNoodle said:

Hey Caleb, I'd like to ask you a few questions.

How old is your server that you got the boss dossiers on?

How many days after it started did you get the dossiers?

Are you sure you have the dossiers fully unlocked? or is the locked icon still on them, but you can click on them.

got the achievement so they should be unlocked on my main ;)

main server (island) is over 7k days, other servers I've played on are over 5k days

let me check my newest character, its done the bosses on valguero, but I donno if valguero is setup to do dossiers, think you can only get them when you do the regular bosses from the expansions.

4 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Go into singleplayer, and use the following command:

cheat DefeatBoss 0 "King Titan" 2

It will not update your implant on officials, or any other multiplayer session but you will unlock the dossier and the skins since these are unlocked in your local profile.

Actually, it doesn't unlock the dossier on other multiplayer sessions. Sure you can click on it and view it, but it still shows that it's locked. Instead of telling people how to do a workaround that doesn't actually fix the root problem, the bug itself should be fixed.

Also, that command doesn't do anything regarding the dossier when I type in SP. Even after suiciding, it does not unlock the dossier so that's just a lie.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, NeddyTheNoodle said:

Actually, it doesn't unlock the dossier on other multiplayer sessions. Sure you can click on it and view it, but it still shows that it's locked. Instead of telling people how to do a workaround that doesn't actually fix the root problem, the bug itself should be fixed.

You realize I'm a regular player just like you and I cannot fix game bugs, right? The only thing I can do is try to help by offering workarounds.

2 hours ago, NeddyTheNoodle said:

Also, that command doesn't do anything regarding the dossier when I type in SP. Even after suiciding, it does not unlock the dossier so that's just a lie.

Well, it did works for me. Perhaps because I already had them unlocked legitimately in the past, I don't know. But call me a liar if you want, no worries. Others claiming they didn't have your issues must be lying too, right? Either way, I would have gladly tested this further, but I'm too busy reading my notes and painting my skins at the moment, sorry. :)

1 hour ago, invincibleqc said:

You realize I'm a regular player just like you and I cannot fix game bugs, right? The only thing I can do is try to help by offering workarounds.

Well, it did works for me. Perhaps because I already had them unlocked legitimately in the past, I don't know. But call me a liar if you want, no worries. Others claiming they didn't have your issues must be lying too, right? Either way, I would have gladly tested this further, but I'm too busy reading my notes and painting my skins at the moment, sorry. :)

Sorry if I came off passive aggressive, I've just be frustrated by the bug for the past few months.

I've had multiple twitch streamers show me their explorer notes after doing the bosses on official and they didn't have them unlocked, so I know for sure it's not just a niche issue with me. I'm still slightly confused by the bug because it seems like it has some variations, idk.

5 hours ago, NeddyTheNoodle said:

Sorry if I came off passive aggressive, I've just be frustrated by the bug for the past few months.

I've had multiple twitch streamers show me their explorer notes after doing the bosses on official and they didn't have them unlocked, so I know for sure it's not just a niche issue with me. I'm still slightly confused by the bug because it seems like it has some variations, idk.

I just checked my boss dossiers and I only have 3 unlocked and I have done every boss on this cluster, this Dedicated Server is more than a week old, like 4 years now.

• Volunteer Moderator
19 hours ago, NeddyTheNoodle said:

So I suppose you're experiencing it too then if you only have three unlocked despite doing all of them. Please if you can, fill out a bug report like I did so we can hopefully get this fixed. I appreciate you giving feedback

The fact you said that it seems to only affect long running servers got me thinking and the only logical answer I could think of is that the time of the server is irrelevant, but that perhaps only characters that are not native to that specific server (that were not created there but transferred in) are affected and unable to unlock the dossiers. This is the only scenario where this would makes sense to me. ?

1 hour ago, invincibleqc said:

The fact you said that it seems to only affect long running servers got me thinking and the only logical answer I could think of is that the time of the server is irrelevant, but that perhaps only characters that are not native to that specific server (that were not created there but transferred in) are affected and unable to unlock the dossiers. This is the only scenario where this would makes sense to me. ?

His words where servers at least a week old.

And in my case, I have not transferred in to this cluster and been there for a good 2 years and the 3 that are showing as unlocked are still showing with a pad lock. The only difference between those 3 and the others, is that I can at least view the dossier for these 3.

3 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

To answer your question, the multiple times I have experienced this, none of them were on characters that had been transferred at that point. Transferring didn't seem to fix it either :L

• Volunteer Moderator
18 hours ago, CyberAngel67 said:

His words where servers at least a week old.

Yes, that was indeed his words. Not sure what you are trying to tell me though?

18 hours ago, NeddyTheNoodle said:

To answer your question, the multiple times I have experienced this, none of them were on characters that had been transferred at that point. Transferring didn't seem to fix it either :L

Hmm.. does it stops working after the world has been loaded from disk? Like it works on a fresh save, but stops working after the very first reboot? There must be something triggering the issue giving the impression it only happens on long running servers... finding that trigger might gives hints as to why it doesn't affect everyone as well..

4 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Yes, that was indeed his words. Not sure what you are trying to tell me though?

Hmm.. does it stops working after the world has been loaded from disk? Like it works on a fresh save, but stops working after the very first reboot? There must be something triggering the issue giving the impression it only happens on long running servers... finding that trigger might gives hints as to why it doesn't affect everyone as well..

Yeah, what's weird is that I've restarted servers before, but it still worked even after restarting it once or twice. It's only after multiple days that it breaks it, and I have no idea why. Considering this is a bug that affects official servers, I don't think there is anything we players can do to fix it aside from spreading awareness of it.

I've noticed another issue that may be related in game.  When I was chain farming the desert titan with a tamed Ice Titan I noticed that half of the time the Desert Titan wasn't dropping any loot and I would have to manually fly up to its body on a wyvern and loot it.  The only thing I could consistently do to get the loot to appear in my inventory was to be fairly close to the Titan when it died.  I then remembered that when the King Titan died and I didn't get the dossier I was fairly far away from him on the other side of the arena.  So my suggestion is this, try ensuring that you are fairly close to the bosses next time they actually die and see if it makes a difference for you.

2 hours ago, RipRavage said:

I've noticed another issue that may be related in game.  When I was chain farming the desert titan with a tamed Ice Titan I noticed that half of the time the Desert Titan wasn't dropping any loot and I would have to manually fly up to its body on a wyvern and loot it.  The only thing I could consistently do to get the loot to appear in my inventory was to be fairly close to the Titan when it died.  I then remembered that when the King Titan died and I didn't get the dossier I was fairly far away from him on the other side of the arena.  So my suggestion is this, try ensuring that you are fairly close to the bosses next time they actually die and see if it makes a difference for you.

I appreciate the feedback, unfortunately I have already done this multiple times, I've killed the bosses from a given distance, gotten the dossier on singleplayer, then when I killed a boss from an even closer distance on multiplayer, I didn't get it. I've tried many variations of this and multiple distances, and I've concluded that distance does not help in fixing the problem.

3 minutes ago, NeddyTheNoodle said:

I appreciate the feedback, unfortunately I have already done this multiple times, I've killed the bosses from a given distance, gotten the dossier on singleplayer, then when I killed a boss from an even closer distance on multiplayer, I didn't get it. I've tried many variations of this and multiple distances, and I've concluded that distance does not help in fixing the problem.

Sorry I couldn’t help, perhaps dossiers all together are bugged in multiplayer.  Quite a few people couldn’t get the new genesis skin recently because the game refused to register the dossiers in multiplayer.  The only solution I found to help people with that was to try to grab them in single player. These issues are probably linked and both caused by the map age issue you guys are talking about since most servers are older than the time frame you guys listed.

1 hour ago, RipRavage said:

Sorry I couldn’t help, perhaps dossiers all together are bugged in multiplayer.  Quite a few people couldn’t get the new genesis skin recently because the game refused to register the dossiers in multiplayer.  The only solution I found to help people with that was to try to grab them in single player. These issues are probably linked and both caused by the map age issue you guys are talking about since most servers are older than the time frame you guys listed.

Yep, it seems as if the developers have brought in more content that is literally broken day one, as in it cant even be used at the time that it's brought in. I was honestly kindof surprised that the HLNA notes are broken, considering all the other explorer notes besides the boss ones work just fine in multiplayer.

Archived