Well....thank you too, Wildcard

Stormie

Well....screw you too, Wildcard

So I've been back in game for about two weeks after a two year absence. Found a good, quiet PVE server with rates I like. Gotten myself up to level 78 or so, and decided to finally move from my small starting base in the southeast to a permanent spot at the western peninsula since I finally got the metal outer wall built after 3 days of smelting. Get all the gear and items I wanna take with me loaded up onto my dinos, build a stone raft extension big enough to transport them all, about 10ish tames total of varying sizes/types.

I start sailing, following the shoreline, and not five minutes into my journey I see a big fin right behind my raft. I think it's a Megalodon just poking his nose at me, until I see a giant head pop up and make a bite animation-ONE bite-and my raft explodes. I panic, since I've never seen or heard of this creature before, and prepare to lose literally everything-all my dinos, all my gear-since I also notice this creature has the red alpha glow. Miraculously, the giant thing just....swims away. Scope in on it, see it's something called a "Leedsichthys", note it for later, get my dinos on shore, and then while I ponder what to do I decide to google this mofo fish. And I find it's literally hellbent on destroying rafts, and nothing else.

Since I don't have the raft engram (the raft I had was a gift from another player) and don't have the points for it, and am a long ways away from a level up, I figure I have to bite the bullet and walk the distance. I know it's risky due to the number of alpha's on server that like to hang around the beach, but i also figure with the weapons I have on hand, the dinos I have and the level they're at, and the average level of alphas I've seen, I should be ok and lose one, maybe two, tames. Acceptable losses, I figure.

Ark, however, decides to royally screw me. 6 alpha raptor encounters, one of which was a lvl 104. I lost 80% of my tames, all to the 104, and a ridiculous amount of gear since the majority of lost tames were my heavy weight truck dinos and the rest couldn't carry much.

What should have been a 10-15 minute boat ride turned into a three hour nightmare trek. All because Wildcard decided, for some asinine reason, that between the Mosasaurs, Plesiosaurs, Megalodons, Piranhas, giant squids, Mantas, and whatever other aquatic horrors I'm forgetting, that the oceans weren't dangerous enough, and just haaaad to add a creature that goes after rafts like a horny teenage boy goes after girls, and make it so OP that it ignores any extension structures built and damages ONLY the base raft, and kills it in one hit. Supposedly they're supposed to only stick to the deep ocean, but I call bull**** because I was literally right on the line of the drop off where the shallows turns into deeper water.

So, thank you Studio WIldcard, and screw you too.

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to Well....thank you too, Wildcard
Just now, Stormie said:

Well....screw you too, Wildcard

So I've been back in game for about two weeks after a two year absence. Found a good, quiet PVE server with rates I like. Gotten myself up to level 78 or so, and decided to finally move from my small starting base in the southeast to a permanent spot at the western peninsula since I finally got the metal outer wall built after 3 days of smelting. Get all the gear and items I wanna take with me loaded up onto my dinos, build a stone raft extension big enough to transport them all, about 10ish tames total of varying sizes/types.

I start sailing, following the shoreline, and not five minutes into my journey I see a big fin right behind my raft. I think it's a Megalodon just poking his nose at me, until I see a giant head pop up and make a bite animation-ONE bite-and my raft explodes. I panic, since I've never seen or heard of this creature before, and prepare to lose literally everything-all my dinos, all my gear-since I also notice this creature has the red alpha glow. Miraculously, the giant thing just....swims away. Scope in on it, see it's something called a "Leedsichthys", note it for later, get my dinos on shore, and then while I ponder what to do I decide to google this mofo fish. And I find it's literally hellbent on destroying rafts, and nothing else.

Since I don't have the raft engram (the raft I had was a gift from another player) and don't have the points for it, and am a long ways away from a level up, I figure I have to bite the bullet and walk the distance. I know it's risky due to the number of alpha's on server that like to hang around the beach, but i also figure with the weapons I have on hand, the dinos I have and the level they're at, and the average level of alphas I've seen, I should be ok and lose one, maybe two, tames. Acceptable losses, I figure.

Ark, however, decides to royally screw me. 6 alpha raptor encounters, one of which was a lvl 104. I lost 80% of my tames, all to the 104, and a ridiculous amount of gear since the majority of lost tames were my heavy weight truck dinos and the rest couldn't carry much.

What should have been a 10-15 minute boat ride turned into a three hour nightmare trek. All because Wildcard decided, for some asinine reason, that between the Mosasaurs, Plesiosaurs, Megalodons, Piranhas, giant squids, Mantas, and whatever other aquatic horrors I'm forgetting, that the oceans weren't dangerous enough, and just haaaad to add a creature that goes after rafts like a horny teenage boy goes after girls, and make it so OP that it ignores any extension structures built and damages ONLY the base raft, and kills it in one hit. Supposedly they're supposed to only stick to the deep ocean, but I call bull**** because I was literally right on the line of the drop off where the shallows turns into deeper water.

So, thank you Studio WIldcard, and screw you too.

Leeds have been in the game for few years I believe... they love shallow   water  aswell...

How can you be level 78 and not have the raft engram or points for it? I mean I could maybe understand if they were all locked up in saddle engrams, but you said you only have 10 tames.

Also, the leeds are not as bad about going into shallows as they were when they first came out, you probably were not hugging the coast line close enough. For future reference, if you are on a raft, it is best to stay in the orbital camera (or whatever it is called, press K) view mode zoomed out, expect when you need to adjust course; so you can look around under your raft to keep track of depth and threats.

8 minutes ago, Uueerdo said:

How can you be level 78 and not have the raft engram or points for it? I mean I could maybe understand if they were all locked up in saddle engrams, but you said you only have 10 tames.

Also, the leeds are not as bad about going into shallows as they were when they first came out, you probably were not hugging the coast line close enough. For future reference, if you are on a raft, it is best to stay in the orbital camera (or whatever it is called, press K) view mode zoomed out, expect when you need to adjust course; so you can look around under your raft to keep track of depth and threats.

Yep. Day 1 of the Leeds update, my rafts that were parked right on the beach outside my base were both demolished by the Leeds. 

I never made another raft again until we started on the new servers. Lol

20 minutes ago, JohnnyWaffles said:

How did you get a raft as a gift?  I don't believe you can un-claim a raft can you?

someone tosses you a raft that hasn't been placed, but yes you can unclaim a raft as long as it hasn't been built on.

2 hours ago, Stormie said:

I see a giant head pop up and make a bite animation-ONE bite-and my raft explodes. I panic, since I've never seen or heard of this creature before

I feel your pain, these things like to terrorize my rafts too, but heres something you can do to stop it and still be able to travel safely.

on the back of your raft, the very back, put down 2-3 large crop plots, in those plots plant plant species X and wait for them to fully grow, rain water should keep them going for you on the raft. make sure to keep them fertilized.   now as your sailing along and that big ol' leed decides to come up behind you, the plant species X will shoot it, and slow it down so that you can get away far enough from it that it will stop chasing your raft, just keep sailing onward to your location.   It works for alphas as well.  

I don't know why your raft was destroyed in a single bite, it usually takes them 4-5 bites to destroy my wooden rafts, more for metal.

i remember losing a heavy pack animal i had weighed up just below where it could still move normally, so so much mc gear and mats it wasn't even funny, I totally understand your frustration there.  

43 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

someone tosses you a raft that hasn't been placed, but yes you can unclaim a raft as long as it hasn't been built on.

I feel your pain, these things like to terrorize my rafts too, but heres something you can do to stop it and still be able to travel safely.

on the back of your raft, the very back, put down 2-3 large crop plots, in those plots plant plant species X and wait for them to fully grow, rain water should keep them going for you on the raft. make sure to keep them fertilized.   now as your sailing along and that big ol' leed decides to come up behind you, the plant species X will shoot it, and slow it down so that you can get away far enough from it that it will stop chasing your raft, just keep sailing onward to your location.   It works for alphas as well.  

I don't know why your raft was destroyed in a single bite, it usually takes them 4-5 bites to destroy my wooden rafts, more for metal.

i remember losing a heavy pack animal i had weighed up just below where it could still move normally, so so much mc gear and mats it wasn't even funny, I totally understand your frustration there.  

It probably only took one bite because it was an alpha.

1 hour ago, Cowgirl said:

It probably only took one bite because it was an alpha.

I guess I was lucky with the alpha that attacked me, it took several bites to destroy the raft and luckly I got close to shore.  that's before I started sticking plant species X on my voyage boats.  Kinda glad Valguero doesn't have them, only have to deal with sharks most the time there.

Archived