When did Ark cease to be "the dino game" and become "the werewolf game"?

trevorjd

When did Ark cease to be "the dino game" and become "the werewolf game"?

More importantly, why? There remains a wealth of dinosaurs and other prehistoric weird and wonderful creatures yet to be introduced, yet weird poop like Gachas and Reapers got introduced and now we're getting hexapodal werewolves and mini great world turtles? Talk about jumping the shark...

The ATLAS team are a bunch of incompetent hacks making a magical pirate-fantasy. Please don't take from their copybook. It's poope. Ark had a great vision that is sadly being lost.

Ark was never "just a dinosaur game". Since beta you got mythic creatures such as unicorns, wyverns and golems. You wake up on a beach because you were mysteriously manufactured and placed on ark with other species. Its a big high-tech scientific experiment thats supposed to save the earth.

Genesis is a simulation, it wont be anything like the "real ark". It is supposed to train and prepare you for whatever comes after landing the arks on earth (guess it will be pissed off Rockwell).

You are supposed to evolve. From basic natural materials, metal to tek. Being able to adapt to changes has always been a key to survival.

On the other hand, I hear ya. I googled a lot of dinos we still miss in the game, even made sketches of how would they look in game (like dossiers). But still, Im not trading my fancy unicorns and tek boots (saved me so many times when ark crashed mid-air) for any dino.

32 minutes ago, trevorjd said:

Ark had a great vision that is sadly being lost.

Considering the depth of the story (plus obs from the onset) Ark has always been a sci fi game not just a dinosaur game. 

Most of the remaining prehistoric dinos are redundant and coming as a guy who was focused on being a paleontoligist for 12 years of his life, I think they made the right call with what they chose, even if their are some inaccuracies. 

Really, I feel like maybe adding the Brachi but more giving TLC to existing glaring holes (Megalodon and Anky size being main gripes for me) would be better than adding more Theropods and what have you. 

I appreciate the story arc and many of the sci fi creatures and maps and I'm personally really looking forward to the fat jerboa gremlin werewolf.

14 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

I'm personally really looking forward to the fat jerboa gremlin werewolf.

haha what a description heh, yeah im looking forward to him too. 
If you follow the story, you have corruption of creatures from the meteor that came from another world, and how it cause data corruption across the arks, that in itself could end up giving different genetically altered creatures popping into the ark.    Knowing the story behind it is half the understanding of what's going on in it, and why its not just another dino game, but something more.

4 minutes ago, Plum28 said:

I really don't understand why people complain about this this game is not called Accurate Dinosaur evolved. This is ark that is a si-fi game that has dinos in it if it was supposed to be just about dinos, then the Tek we all enjoy should be taken away oh the guns too..   

wouldn't that be primitive plus?

It would be nice if they at the very least considered fazing in community created Dinos like the Acrocanthosaurus from the Ark Additions mod into the vanilla game.  That Dino is literally a million times better looking and better programmed than anything wildcard has ever put out.

i mean, it’s cool we got another Dino in the deinonychus recently, but another raptor is just kinda boring.  I want some Rex alternatives for boss fights damn it.

You're all putting words in my mouth. I never complained about the scifi or survival aspects. As someone else observed, in the first few seconds of the game, you wake up scratching some piece of technology embedded in your forearm. It's pretty obvious that it's not a simple dino combat game.

Games need a niche, otherwise they become just bland clones of each other. Ark started out as "the dino sci-fi survival game" which was (at least IMO) a genuinely original and fascinating concept. Unicorns, wyverns and dragons were acceptable to me because they're at least based on Earthly myth and legend.  What I'm disliking is how we've ventured progressively away from that defining flavour into "making poop up" territory.

On 10/11/2019 at 1:42 AM, trevorjd said:

Ark had a great vision that is sadly being lost.

No, they had, and still have, a great vision that has taken time to develop and come to light, it has been long-form story telling.

You're playing a game in which humans and dinosaurs exist side by side, but this game has never been as simple as being a copy of Journey to the Center of the Earth. You woke up on a beach with a mysterious implant in your arm which clearly hints at a sci-fi game, the Explorers' Notes have been telling you for a long time that this is more than just a dinosaur game, there have always been animals from a bunch of different time periods on earth, and there have been fantastic, non-historical animals in the game for a long time now.

If you've been thinking this was just "the dino game" then you were not seeing the many, many clues that were put in front of you.

The mythical side to it with golems and wyverns is great, but the tek and element stage of Ark has kind of ruined it. Peak ark was like 2 or 3 years ago, without all of this mega spam outside of bases with 10000 turret walls and people running around in giant meks. Obviously everyone is still going to aim towards this stuff, but it wasn't an addition that I enjoyed

3 hours ago, bradwoodinho said:

The mythical side to it with golems and wyverns is great, but the tek and element stage of Ark has kind of ruined it. Peak ark was like 2 or 3 years ago, without all of this mega spam outside of bases with 10000 turret walls and people running around in giant meks. Obviously everyone is still going to aim towards this stuff, but it wasn't an addition that I enjoyed

ARK is not even a survival game anymore, the threat from environment and PVE, or struggles for survival and resources is non existent. Official PVP servers are basically same as boosted unofficial now with people having godlike dino lines and farming mountains of resources in minutes. And the PVP has gone from brontos and rexes brawling on beaches and jungles to be about managarms, owls and meks.

Lol this thread amuses me. Not sure if the frustration here is about whether the new stuff fits into lore or whether the OP is frustrated about the shifting META. This game has always been a sci fi game. New content always changes things but you can't call the devs incompetent if their creations don't fit your idea of a perfect game. Fact is Ark is one of the most unique games out there and is def not perfect but is a hell of a lot more interesting than a generic dinosaur game could ever be.

Archived