Linux/Mac update v299

gled

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

glad i found this only problem is i have spent close to a week and last night 6 hours trying to fix my game and then i finally find this article right after, im ngl im pretty raptoring mad because it was near impossible to find an answer anywhere on why it was happening until i got a small idea and was right 

Has Linux been forgotten by Wildcard?

Because the Native Linux build hasn't been updated since AUGUST 15TH!! And there has been 1 or 2 patches since then..  (See here: The Native Linux Build https://steamdb.info/depot/346112/ )

Battle-Eye and Proton Do NOT Work together, Battle-Eye is required to play on Official servers, and most of POPULATED servers are not appearing whilst using only Proton. Ark alone doesn't work well, I really need help. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated, a link to a guide, a link to some information. ANYTHING.

. . . Seriously? Spent a good 2 hours troubleshooting this yesterday only to discover "Hey, no, they just like don't update the Mac clients."

NOT. COOL.

If you don't want to support the platform just say "Windows Only." It's cool. I wouldn't mind. 
Don't pretend you support multiple platforms and that they're compatible when they're not though: If one routinely gets updated ahead of the other then sell two separate versions and don't let them interact.

People who played solo have definitely lost everything by now. Especially if they are on PVP servers without offline raid protection. 

People who were in tribes have almost definitely been kicked out of their tribe due to inactivity, especially on 6 man servers. 

There's nothing much to come back to now, if you're a Linux/Mac user. If you buy the new DLC you are just supporting Wildcards unprofessional behaviour. It's time to move on. 

2 minutes ago, whoareyou said:

Really? Get the raptor out. They sell the game to Mac / Linux, so they should support it properly instead of just accepting the $$ and raptoring people over. 

They also sell it on the switch and mobile both of which are greatly under supported. But just like switch owners you chose to purchase the game on a lower platform so you accepted tge risks of it not getting full on steam support

Mac Version 2 month behind?

Hey guys,

I just installed ark on my mac, only to see that I cant find any official servers. After checking google, mostly the problem comes from different/old version. So I checked my Ark version on Windows, 299.27 and on my Mac, 298.16. This version was released like 2 month ago... Can this be true? That mac players cant play the game that long?

Or do I miss a way to forcefully update the version on my mac?

5 hours ago, FreelancerKnux said:

They also sell it on the switch and mobile both of which are greatly under supported. But just like switch owners you chose to purchase the game on a lower platform so you accepted tge risks of it not getting full on steam support

I agree with many of your point of views but come on. That is stupid. 

If a company sells a product and claims it is compatible and supported using "x" then that's what it needs to be. They are obligated once it sells. It's a defective product and dishonest to market it that way if it doesn't work due to their negligence. 

I'd consider filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau to be honest. 

Delays are expected, of course, but communication blackout on those delays plus the length of delay and the pattern of delays is not to be accepted. It's to be held accountable. 

well guys i think we have to do something more than only talking here cuz it doesn't work ...
come all to https://store.steampowered.com/app/346110/ARK_Survival_Evolved/ and post review that says they get our money and we cant play on official servers cuz they are lazy and dont give update for linux and mac users ;) 

16 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

I agree with many of your point of views but come on. That is stupid. 

If a company sells a product and claims it is compatible and supported using "x" then that's what it needs to be. They are obligated once it sells. It's a defective product and dishonest to market it that way if it doesn't work due to their negligence. 

I'd consider filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau to be honest. 

Delays are expected, of course, but communication blackout on those delays plus the length of delay and the pattern of delays is not to be accepted. It's to be held accountable. 

The game works though it just simply isnt at the same patch as the steam version.

Plus looking at the never ending trend linux and mac games usually start off life at same pace/patch rate but then eventually fall behind the issues of porting cause issues and then the lower number of general players usually means support ends for that version. So this isn't a new thing and honestly linux/mac should be on their own officals just like xbox/ps4 rather than with steam. 

I can see where the frustration comes from but at the end of the day its a different version because its being ported onto an inferior system.  

19 minutes ago, FreelancerKnux said:

I can see where the frustration comes from but at the end of the day its a different version because its being ported onto an inferior system.  

It is not even about the target platform. To be honest if I package my UE4 project for Windows and Linux the Linux build even takes shorter amount of time. This is just pure laziness or in this case incompetence on Wildcard side.

The codebase is the exact same(or should be the same..) so it is not like there needs to be a special patch to enable Linux running at the same time as Windows version. While the cross compile is not just one more click as most people imagine it is not that hard to automate the process. 

My best guess is that they do actually keep the Linux and Windows in a separate project for platform specific fixes and that would cause the delays, but then again, that is just plain wrong design and workflow for game dev company.

Sorry for the little rant :).

P.S.: Where is that Linux/Mac patch?:)

It's a good problem to have - people actually frustrated that they can't play the game. Much better than people being indifferent and just playing something else. 

But, I couldn't in good conscience recommend Ark to anybody who prefers to use Mac or Linux after this. Mac / Linux users have lost all their hard work from auto-decay, or been raided, or kicked from tribe due to inactivity. 

Archived