Linux/Mac update v299

gled

Linux/Mac update v299

As usual when an update gets out, we have to wait and we get locked out of official servers... Let's pray this one won't take a week to be released. 

I just asked Ced on Twitter here 

let's see if he answers !

Seems like they are working on getting the win10 out but hopefully they release the Linux/Mac client after that...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not the only one who thinks it’s unprofessional of them to release the update for one system at a time am I? Such a bummer too, just came back to this game yesterday and have to quit again already. Controls still don’t work with my joystick mouse anyway though, playing mouseless is a real struggle. 

No you're not the only one.  Maybe they get kickbacks from MS.  I can't think of any other reason for making such a grindy, time intensive game with consequences for not logging in on a regular basis, unavailable to a portion of your user base for days/weeks at a time.  Of course we've been abandoned in a number of other areas such as graphics as well.  If it's sold on a platform it should be supported on that platform imho.

Yeah, why don't they just wait to release the patch when it's done on all platforms? Certainly from a "fairness" standpoint, it's obvious that this isn't cool. But also, this seems to indicate that they have bifurcated codebases to the extent that patches require a lot of manual work. I can imagine the headaches with Mac stuff, but Windows and Linux shouldn't have that many issues unless the patches are really low-level.

23 hours ago, aguazang said:

Waiting for Linux update

Since 12 hours ago Linux users cannot join official servers (updated to 299.26), so if my base gets raided where i can ask for a restore to the state at the moment of update, also my cryopods will expire and generators will be without gasoline in few days.

They will not do that, cryopods take 30 days to expire unless you have been leaving them out. 

10 minutes ago, OldDude said:

Yeah, why don't they just wait to release the patch when it's done on all platforms? Certainly from a "fairness" standpoint, it's obvious that this isn't cool. But also, this seems to indicate that they have bifurcated codebases to the extent that patches require a lot of manual work. I can imagine the headaches with Mac stuff, but Windows and Linux shouldn't have that many issues unless the patches are really low-level.

It's a case of them doing it wrong in the beginning and now it's less work for them to continue doing it the wrong way than redo it the right way.

feels like I'm screaming into the void there though.
at the same time, I understand that this question is pointless, imagine this is what's going on in WC:

WC is split into two categories of people: people who give zero fuсks and/or don't even know about the existence of the "other supported platforms" (the majority).

There's also a few people who have a build (or several in a row, each probably taking several hours) on fire,  because it was patched in a hurry a few days before the announced release without a hint of regards and/or acknowledgement of the fact that "the other supported platforms" need time planned for testing and patching due to terrible state of the client's code and the general lack of fuсks given for platforms that aren't bringing 80% of the revenue.

As it would be anywhere in the industry. Maybe except Valve.

I get there’s not much we can do about it, but if they’re going to do this couldn’t they at least have some official servers dedicated to the mac/linux versions? They have however many / hundreds of servers, and not one supports the current mac/linux version. ? I don’t think it’d hurt them. 

Mise à jour sur mac

Bonjour à tous, je suis un joueur PC et je joue avec 3 amis qui sont sur Mac, j'ai fais ma mise à jour il y a une semaine pour la version 299.29 mais mes 3 amis eux n'ont pas accès à cette mise à jour et du coup ils ne trouvent plus aucun serveur officiel. Des solutions pour les joueurs de Mac ? On a tout essayé pour installer le nouveau patch mais impossible de trouver chez eux sur steam. Doit on simplement attendre que la patch soit disponible sur Mac, ou y a t il d'autres solutions ? Je vous avoues que si les joueurs Mac doivent attendre 9 jours pour jouer après une maj ils vont tous se barrer :/. 

No Linux Client update to 299.x

Linux clients are still running 298.x Code. They didn't get the patch to 299.x and are now locked out of all servers that have been updated. I had to force Proton with Steam Play to get on my own servers.

Client version 298.38. Non pending updates.

23 hours ago, Emixamo said:

Mise à jour sur mac

Bonjour à tous, je suis un joueur PC et je joue avec 3 amis qui sont sur Mac, j'ai fais ma mise à jour il y a une semaine pour la version 299.29 mais mes 3 amis eux n'ont pas accès à cette mise à jour et du coup ils ne trouvent plus aucun serveur officiel. Des solutions pour les joueurs de Mac ? On a tout essayé pour installer le nouveau patch mais impossible de trouver chez eux sur steam. Doit on simplement attendre que la patch soit disponible sur Mac, ou y a t il d'autres solutions ? Je vous avoues que si les joueurs Mac doivent attendre 9 jours pour jouer après une maj ils vont tous se barrer :/. 

Excuse-moi si ça ne se passe pas bien. La seule solution est d'attendre. J'utilise Linux mais double démarrage sous Windows lorsque des mises à jour sont effectuées, mais tout le monde n'a pas ce luxe. J'espère que cela ne prend pas 9 jours.

On 10/15/2019 at 10:59 PM, AwesomeOne said:

Anyhow, maybe this is what they are hoping for... Kill off the Mac/Linux user base so they no longer have to support the game client ?

I can see this working.  Not only giving Windows users a free pass to raid while we've been locked out of the servers on PvP but also locking us out for so long that dinos die, power runs out and structures decay resulting in many wasted hours.  It is very frustrating for us and irresponsible of Wildcard.  This also happens over at least one weekend so we miss events.  The last one was totally poop with Mac and Linux users completely missing out on a 4x event.  I'm don't think I'm being unreasonable by demanding fairness across platforms and a level playing field.  Wildcard are selling for multiple platforms but only giving proper support on one.  Poor ethics, careless and irresponsible.  I won't be buying any more Wildcard products and I won't be recommending them to others.

56 minutes ago, TechZero said:

I'm don't think I'm being unreasonable by demanding fairness across platforms and a level playing field.

That's basically it... I stopped playing Official like a year ago because of the same problems and it's literally only gotten worse.

Then you get smart remarks by their community lead like:

I mean hello? Has said literally nothing about Mac/Linux client issues then wines about legit complaints being made vs the "reality" of things at Wilccard.

Here's another gem:

So basically, Mac/Linux game client is unimportant hence the lack of communication about it? Or what we're supposed to take from this I'm not sure.

Then there's a notification at the top of this page saying PS4 Prim+ servers are offline (because PS4 is important I guess) and then for Mac/Linux client there's literally people every day spending hours trying to get the update to work because WC has said nothing officially about the issues that we're having.

Anyways, this is the pits for me, just left a negative review and moving on to other games... Good luck!

Well if you built out of wood or thatch, it's gone.  If you used stone it's not far off either.  If you put anything on a wooden foundations, that's gone too.   If you put anything important on a thatch foundation... why would you do that?

I wonder if WC get a bunch of tickets to set things like this right after an update.  This is a bug in the business practices which needs to be fixed.   Every update it must cause a mass of game breaking problems that are out of the players control and fully within WC's capabilities to avoid. 

Archived