JSON Error

Hazathal

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Lizardfish said:

Been playing for 5 years and have encountered many bugs, none that have stopped me playing though, it's called having patience and understanding that making something like Ark isn't easy.

Earth. And yes it was quick, isolating and repairing a problem in a system as complicated as this takes time. If you can do better then feel free to run your own international web hosting and security company...

You think that was a fast response lmfao tell that to all the people who has lost pets they were raising.

38 minutes ago, digitlghost said:

CloudFlare has solved their issues. Validate your game files and try again. May still take some time to get back in.

What would corrupt game files have to do with CloudFlare? Stop throwing darts at a problem board, grow up, do some work, and at LEAST give people an honest answer of what the problem is or your inability to find one.

That's 19 years of tech support, application development, and network engineering talking.

Validating game files does nothing to fix a network outage. I am still in the field. How do I know my files are not corrupt to begin with? BTRFS. Beyond that, the issue was receiving some kind of JSON token from a CDN, in this case Cloudflare. Once Cloudflare came up, everything worked again. This had absolutely nothing to do with screen resolution, configuration, corrupted files, or even BattlEye. This was literally the game being unable to retrieve a token it needed and being unable to do so. This is also why when setting up a VPN to an area that is not down, people got valid tokens and got on.

10 minutes ago, ItWasntMe said:

You think that was a fast response lmfao tell that to all the people who has lost pets they were raising.

Indeed, it sucks, lost 100's of dino's over the years. It happens. And yes, it was relatively fast. If you can do better, get a job with them and show them how it's done.

If you can't, then you are not speaking from a place of knowledge or authority.

Run it on yours and let it finish. I should note that I own everything Ark. Season pass and all. If you do NOT have the 2 files, then you are literally in the 1%. Google this.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/1457328927842138509/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/1639793203761104456/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/1692669912384765136/

Tons and tons more. It is VERY common.

4 hours ago, zero064 said:

It was a new thread, but a mod placed it here. I'm assuming it's related to this year-old issue.

Sadly it was merged into a thread from ages ago...its too bad it took so long to get the message out for all the people.  I dont blame you, just wish there was better communication for everyone so you and I wouldn't need to be attached to posts like these

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Xenithar said:

Joe, it is the same on every PC I have ever messed with Ark on. Laptops, desktops, custom-built rigs, pre-built systems, SSD, HDD, and M.2 even. NTFS, BTRFS, ReFS, and exFAT. Nothing matters, always two files.

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that's not the case for a lot of people.

2 minutes ago, Lizardfish said:

In what way? I thought verifying integrity of local files was checking it? Everybody that says they've checked local files says that 2 files needed to be replaced, seems like a common thing.

Joke, tongue in cheek. Doesn't translate well across the internet or across all geographical locations.

2 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Sip. Así es como sabes que estas cosas se han resuelto.

Estos hilos se oscurecen de repente. Todos jugando.

Es mentira, conoci a otra persona con el mismo error, y horas despues del comunicado seguimos teniendo el problema. LLegue al punto de restaurar mi sistema operativo a 10 dias anterior de que me surja el odioso "Json Error" y nada, todo sigue igual de lamentable. Mi discord es Flacucho#6941, contactame si podrias ayudarme porfavor, gracias.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Xenithar said:

Beyond that, the issue was receiving some kind of JSON token from a CDN, in this case Cloudflare. Once Cloudflare came up, everything worked again. This had absolutely nothing to do with screen resolution, configuration, corrupted files, or even BattlEye. This was literally the game being unable to retrieve a token it needed and being unable to do so. This is also why when setting up a VPN to an area that is not down, people got valid tokens and got on.

Well, this is a generic error that can apply to anything. If the json reader is unable to determine the type of the current token, then it will produce that error. The game wasn't expecting any token from Cloudflare, but rather failed to parse the response it received. Basically, if the response is invalid or empty it will produce this error because the first character of the first line wasn't an opening bracket as the json parser expected. It can be caused by a request to the game's web API, a thirdparty (such BE, Vivox, etc.), or anything else manipulating json streams. In this particular case, I guess the request simply timed out which passed a NULL response to their callback and they don't have the necessary checks to avoid parsing invalid responses and just proceed anyways resulting in the reader parsing an empty string or something along these lines. Anyways, I'm sure they will take the necessary steps so it doesn't happens again in the future.

3 hours ago, Xenithar said:

Run it on yours and let it finish. I should note that I own everything Ark. Season pass and all. If you do NOT have the 2 files, then you are literally in the 1%. Google this.

If you validate the files right after installing it then it won't have any validated files. However, if you launch it before, it will overwrite the officialservers.ini and officialserverstatus.ini files with the content of http://arkdedicated.com/officialservers.ini and http://arkdedicated.com/officialserverstatus.ini respectively causing Steam to assume they are no longer valid because they do not match the original ones they have on their side. So yeah, having 2 files is totally normal and was just a coincidence for all the people in here claiming it fixed their issues.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, invincibleqc said:

they don't have the necessary checks to avoid parsing invalid responses and just proceed anyways resulting in the reader parsing an empty string or something along these lines.

If I had a dollar for how many times a particular large application in my organization didn't gracefully handle not getting the data it expected from our 3rd party vendors... Didn't get the JSON (XML, CVS, HTTP Pull) whatever you were expecting), wait... till you exhaust the resources of the application until it crashed.

4 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

You might want to get that checked.

I've had this too.  As near as I can tell, it's false flagging the settings .ini files because they're not default.  The only time I've *not* had Verify Files report that two didn't match... was after patches like the launch of Genesis 1 and Extinction, where the update wiped my settings.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, EmberStar said:

I've had this too.  As near as I can tell, it's false flagging the settings .ini files because they're not default.  The only time I've *not* had Verify Files report that two didn't match... was after patches like the launch of Genesis 1 and Extinction, where the update wiped my settings.

So you saw where I said it was a joke.

Archived