So what happened here?

Piffguru

So what happened here?

The other night I was incubating 5 rex eggs and 8 spino eggs, all were going to hatch in about 3 hours and it was getting late so I logged out, set an alarm for 4am to go cryo them when they hatch. I forgot I have my phone set to automatically restart itself on Friday nights and of course my alarm didnt go off cause of my phones restart. Now at about 6:30 I woke up and realized my alarm didnt go off and assumed my babies were dead but I rushed to log on and find out. To my surprise all the dinos were alive and fine. I claimed them and quickly cryoed them but I noticed they all still had like 1100 food out of the 1300 or so that they would max out at at that baby stage. All were at about 3.5% maturation by the time I got to them.

How did they survive? This is on official xbox pve server, I am assuming something to do with stasis and no one rendering the area in all that time somehow but im shocked cause I assumed the food debt would of killed them the second I logged on. Also although this was very fortunate for me that they didnt die, They also werent claimed for all that time so their imprints are not able to get to 100% now cause the imprint timer started when I claimed them and not when they hatched(which is not horrible cause some of them are breeders and werent gonna get imprinted anyway).

Side question, When I logged on the rexes and spinos were glitched through the floor into my ac's below them. This didnt used to happen to me on the island as I would log on to babies walking all around my incubation area but on valguero they ALWAYS glitch through the floor if Im not there to render them when they hatch. I tried doubling up on the floors, tried using standard ceilings instead of triangles, but nothing has worked so far. I resorted to keeping that floor as glass triangles as there is a glitch that lets you pick them back up whenever you want. Just wondering if anyone knows of a solution to stop that from happening and why it didnt happen on the island for me.

Just now, ello788 said:

I think the reason they survived is because the  official servers is laggy so you almost always have to add more time cause of the lag so you have to always take into account of the lag so if it says 3 hours it could be 1 or 2 hours more depending how much lag the server has.

Server doesnt lag much tbh. When I set timers for imprints and I come back 7-8 hours later the timer is usualy off by around 5-10 minutes at most.

Regarding the eggs and stasis you are pretty much correct. I play on a private server that doesn't have many people and I have forgotten about creatures that should of hatched/ been birthed hours before I get to them but when I fast travel to them I can hear them hatching or just being born from the mother. So if you leave render for long enough it appears that when the timer reaches zero nothing happens until that area re-renders or gets pulled out of stasis. 

As for your side question I have noticed that same thing as well on Valguero. The only way around that I can think of is to hatch them on the terrain or on a ceiling so they might fall under the ceiling onto the floor. 

2 minutes ago, jsteel said:

Regarding the eggs and stasis you are pretty much correct. I play on a private server that doesn't have many people and I have forgotten about creatures that should of hatched/ been birthed hours before I get to them but when I fast travel to them I can hear them hatching or just being born from the mother. So if you leave render for long enough it appears that when the timer reaches zero nothing happens until that area re-renders or gets pulled out of stasis. 

As for your side question I have noticed that same thing as well on Valguero. The only way around that I can think of is to hatch them on the terrain or on a ceiling so they might fall under the ceiling onto the floor. 

Thx for the confirmations, I guess I got lucky no one flew by my base in that time. I was wondering if this was something that was exploitable(or some less devious word).

For the incubation room I have it setup on triangle foundations with ac's across the entire floor then triangle ceilings just above the ac's so I can just drop the eggs anywhere in that room and they hatch. So when they glitch through they end up half in the bottom foundations, some are half in an ac. Sometimes I can cryo it out of there but other times I have to demolish an ac to get to it. Last time It happened when I forgot about 15 or so rexes hatching and I ended up having to demolish like 8 ac's, Very annoying so I think Ill be more vigilent with being around when they hatch.

1 hour ago, Piffguru said:

For the incubation room I have it setup on triangle foundations with ac's across the entire floor then triangle ceilings just above the ac's

I am not sure what the range is for the ac's but it might be worth inverting your setup if you can, drop the eggs on the foundations and have the ac's on the ceilings. You may need to have the ceilings a bit higher hence the need to check the range. You could also put Dimetrodons (melee levelled) against the walls of the incubation area if you have the space.

9 minutes ago, WarpSpasm said:

I am not sure what the range is for the ac's but it might be worth inverting your setup if you can, drop the eggs on the foundations and have the ac's on the ceilings. You may need to have the ceilings a bit higher hence the need to check the range. You could also put Dimetrodons (melee levelled) against the walls of the incubation area if you have the space.

Interesting suggestion, Wiki says that the range is 2 foundations decreasing from 100 insulation when right next to them and 0 at 2 foundations away so I guess it could work. I put a bit of effort into lowering the ceilings to match up as close to the top of the ac's as I could while also still being able to line up with these ramps around the edges above everything so I dont think im going to redo this incubation room but maybe the next one I make I will give that a try.

My incubation area on Valguero is  3×3 foundations with ac's grouped on the middle foundation and spilling slightly to either side and the front. I have walls around the edges with a doorframe on two of edges (generator is in the back corner), ceilings are placed at one wall high with fridges along the back wall. I haven't had a problem yet but i have only hatched 2 Deinos so far. I have 3 fridges of eggs, mostly deino and wyvern as I grab all levels for making so I can kibble the low ones.

4 hours ago, Piffguru said:

Side question, When I logged on the rexes and spinos were glitched through the floor into my ac's below them. This didnt used to happen to me on the island as I would log on to babies walking all around my incubation area but on valguero they ALWAYS glitch through the floor if Im not there to render them when they hatch. I tried doubling up on the floors, tried using standard ceilings instead of triangles, but nothing has worked so far. I resorted to keeping that floor as glass triangles as there is a glitch that lets you pick them back up whenever you want. Just wondering if anyone knows of a solution to stop that from happening and why it didnt happen on the island for me.

4 hours ago, jsteel said:

This is caused by the load order, if the floors load in after the babies have loaded in, they will most likely be under that floor or inside a foundation.  Placing them on a ceiling 2 high can help resolve it, dropping them to the foundation below, or you could do like we did at our main base.   the hatchery is on pillars, with ceilings as floors, and stone walls around the outside of it to make it 'appear' to be connected to the ground.  we have one side that has a door access to it, so we can get under the floor if needed.  If any babies fall through the building pieces, they end up on the ground contained in a small room where they can't wander off. 

This saved a lot of problems as when they get stuck under the floor most the times you end up breaking a foundation to get them out, or risk breaking something else because they wandered abit before the pieces loaded in.  (i.e. under a foundation that's supporting a ac)

Re-read this a few times trying to think how they lived. Ive had this happen on unofficials with standard food rates but only 3 or 4 concurrent players...

My only thought is you got super lucky and: 

- Noone rendered your base from the time they were about to hatch until you logged in (obvious we came to this conclusion earlier) 

Also! 

- I bet as you logged in, as the game was calculating food debt they quickly munched a lot of food. Throwing the debt calculations off / out healed it. Did you happen to look at troughs? 

As to floor issue... Yeah. Ive gotten around it before by using large crop plots as the floor. Lower the birthing platform by 1 and the large crop plots will be flush :) The most practical way though is to simply always hatch on the ground. I can confirm Valguero has some weird load issues for building pieces / sinking. I also play on Xbox.

13 hours ago, d1nk said:

Re-read this a few times trying to think how they lived. Ive had this happen on unofficials with standard food rates but only 3 or 4 concurrent players...

My only thought is you got super lucky and: 

- Noone rendered your base from the time they were about to hatch until you logged in (obvious we came to this conclusion earlier) 

Also! 

- I bet as you logged in, as the game was calculating food debt they quickly munched a lot of food. Throwing the debt calculations off / out healed it. Did you happen to look at troughs? 

As to floor issue... Yeah. Ive gotten around it before by using large crop plots as the floor. Lower the birthing platform by 1 and the large crop plots will be flush :) The most practical way though is to simply always hatch on the ground. I can confirm Valguero has some weird load issues for building pieces / sinking. I also play on Xbox.

So the only issue with the food debt calculations part is that they were all freshly hatched with zero meat in their inventories. None of them were even close to being out of food and were never fed in those few hours after birth. I just immediately went to claim and cryo them(which was not so immediate cause I had to break a few floors and ac's to get to them in the first place). Also even if the troughs had food in them(Which they didnt), these were all baby babies so troughs shouldnt of been a factor anyway.

Also, I tried picking up a baby rex last night with an argy and you are all correct it defintely works.. I guess I should of thought of that before since I knew the drag weights change through the maturation cycle based on how dinos fall out of kangaroo pouches at a certain point.

3 hours ago, Piffguru said:

So the only issue with the food debt calculations part is that they were all freshly hatched with zero meat in their inventories. None of them were even close to being out of food and were never fed in those few hours after birth. I just immediately went to claim and cryo them(which was not so immediate cause I had to break a few floors and ac's to get to them in the first place). Also even if the troughs had food in them(Which they didnt), these were all baby babies so troughs shouldnt of been a factor anyway.

Also, I tried picking up a baby rex last night with an argy and you are all correct it defintely works.. I guess I should of thought of that before since I knew the drag weights change through the maturation cycle based on how dinos fall out of kangaroo pouches at a certain point.

Derp my bad. I didnt even think about baby phase lol. poop well there goes my theory

This actually happens alot, if noone ever loads the area when they are born , they will stay there frozen, not eating and maturing until claimed.  I remember someone setting up a super remote room to do live births this way, they'd be born and stay in place until someone teleported in and they coudl pick them up when they got back from work.

On keeping eggs from falling through, you could try crop plots on the floor and put the eggs on top.  They will keep the eggs from falling through for sure.

Archived