The Weigh In article got me thinking

Narzala

The Weigh In article got me thinking

This is for standard PVE server types, as I haven't played regularly on a PVP server type in years and can not comment on how those run and whether or not changes like these would hurt or help those server types.

Here's a couple of quality of life thoughts for you guys:

1. I think that the 2X Harvesting Rates, Taming Rates and XP Rates that happen during the Evolution Event Weekends should be base level now and have the Evolution Event rates on the Weekends 2X those rates; except on any new map servers types for the beginning few months (Like is done now). The reason why I say this is because since ARK has now been out for more then 4 years and I believe that majority of the player base (PVE) that is still playing the game regularly has majority of their bases completed, majority of their characters to max levels or close to it, and are more into breeding/trading for better dinos then taming new ones, thus IMO making those multipliers more beneficial for newer players to try the game out and maybe stay and help to boost low active population servers. Plus, these increased rates will also be a benefit to the current active veteran players as they would be able to spend less time grinding their materials and this, in my opinion, could potentially assist with burn out.

2. I would also like to see the timer that your character gets after you use a Cryopod to summon a dino that was previously stored within it reduced, if not completely removed. Since a lot of player these days store their dinos in cryopods to help with server caps, I personally find it annoying when I want to pull out a few dinos for some reason or another and have to sit and wait on the timer each and every time or wait till they all wake from cryosleep; plus in some situations you cant let the dinos sit in cryosleep safely. 

Example. you find a vein on Extinction and you want to pull out your 3 Rexs to do this vein, you definitely do not want them laying on the ground sleeping during the fight. I think this would be a nice quality of life change and would help with server Caps more if you could just pull out your dinos when needed and not worry about having to wait for a timer each time.

3. Give back the ability for the Tek Transmitter to teleport your Boss fighting dinos to the Boss fights or give the Tek Teleporter the ability to access the Boss fights. Saves me having to lug my dinos all over to the Obys every time I want to do a Boss fight.  This could clear up the areas surrounding the Obys that are scattered with dino holding pens and pillar place holders. Also, saves the server players from bringing their dinos over to an Oby just to find that someone has left half a dozen dinos sitting on the Oby Teleporter for days.

4. Increase egg laying rates for Dinos. That way egg farms would not require as many dinos; could help with the server caps and player burn out looking after so many dinos.

5. Decrease the length of time it takes to breed dinos or create items that players can farm mats for and create(recipe) or dropped by the smaller Bosses (see smaller boss fights) that decrease the breeding time/ imprint timers. We are 4 years into ARK and 15 days for a Giga is getting a bit old IMO.

6. More Boss fights with dino and weapon restrictions: No regular Boss fighting dinos such as Rex, Spinos, Carnos, Velos, etc.

Medium Boss fights. These would be Boss fights that can only be done by medium dinos. These Bosses would only be for 1-4 players and you could only take in say max 10 dinos and those dinos could only be only small - medium sized dinos such as raptors, thylos, trikes, etc

1-2 player Boss fight: These would be max 2 players and max say 5 dinos and could only be done by the smaller dinos such as Dilos, Dodos, Parasaurs, Shinehorns etc. With players not being allowed any modern weapons, that way players just don't go in with their Asc. shot guns or rocket launchers and blow up the Solo Boss.

This gives players more stuff to do and new dinos lines to breed that were previously not seriously bred. Bring on the 25k HP and 1500 melee damage Boss Dodos.

Those are just a couple of my thoughts that I think would benefit the game play at  this time in the games life, maybe I am wrong... Let hear what you guys think.

I have played boosted unofficials plus my boosted single player. There is of course some enjoyment out of those rates but I find myself getting much more bored and wiping and resetting often plus I feel no sense of real accomplishment. Not sure boosting rates and breeding on a regular basis would have the effect you envision.

On QoL forefront the team is actually looking into removing cryo timers for PvE and allowing fights from Transmitters again.

Egg rates are negligible since you only need one type of kibble for both taming and imprint now. That has the effect of reducing the dino cap already. 

I have no feelings on specialized boss fights.

1 hour ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Stop. ?? Anything that happened in EA can't still be applied 2 years after official release. These were the rates they decided on for official release so these are the 1x rates. 

Well you only played when it released correct? Ps4 yeah? I cant remember if you guys got the game on release or slightly before but those were the ideal rates for ARK.  Yes, breeding sucked but the harvest rates were prime.

2 hours ago, d1nk said:

Well you only played when it released correct? Ps4 yeah? I cant remember if you guys got the game on release or slightly before but those were the ideal rates for ARK.  Yes, breeding sucked but the harvest rates were prime.

I've been playing since PS4 EA. Yes what we have now is what they decided was the ideal rates for official release so calling it 2x is disingenuous. The EA rates don't count. Only the rates that were present at official release so this is 1x. 

Other than that, I agree with what you said. I don't think rates should be increased, I just don't like when people call these rates 2x. They aren't because EA doesn't matter anymore.

Boosted rates would make the game boring a lot faster because while taming certain dinos takes a long time it is still a long time of entertainment and you don't need to sit at the computer you can watch youtube, play other games in the background, (for me I normally edit videos while i'm waiting for babies to raise) or just get work done. As well as the harder to obtain things are the more rewarding it will be once you have finally done it, for example the ascendant tek armour from Extinction, it is incredibly expensive but it is tek armour with the stats of riot armour which is very convenient. Tames such as Titanosaurs, Gigas and Titans and extremely difficult especially for new players but if you can manage to tame one then it will largely pay off even if it is a temporary tame.

1. I think that the 2X Harvesting Rates, Taming Rates and XP Rates that happen during the Evolution Event Weekends should be base level

That would just probably make high lvl players to eat a mindwipe during the weekends.

2. I would also like to see the timer that your character gets after you use a Cryopod to summon a dino that was previously stored within it reduced, if not completely removed.

You cannot apply that on pvp, a good suggestion would be to separate pvp from pve and set different ways that items  work. I play solo on official and yeah, it would be nice to be able to drop 3 gigas at the same time when doing a vein or a osd, but i take 1 out and after the first or second wave im able to take the 2nd one (i only use 2) and its ok, i dont need 2 for the first waves.

3. Give back the ability for the Tek Transmitter to teleport your Boss fighting dinos to the Boss fights or give the Tek Teleporter the ability to access the Boss fights.

I support this, theres normally little/almost no space at the obelisk with multiple tribes having their boss dinos there, but again, players on pvp tend to wait for tribes after a boss fight to kill their dinos and steal the element.. 

4. Increase egg laying rates for Dinos. That way egg farms would not require as many dinos; could help with the server caps and player burn out looking after so many dinos.

With the kibble change i dont think its necessary since you can use the highest tier to tame every dino or do imprints, so now its easier than before, you just need 1 type of dino laying eggs

5. Decrease the length of time it takes to breed dinos

This breaks your previous suggestion, you can already experience this during breeding events, almost every server gets capped

6. More Boss fights with dino and weapon restriction

This also breaks it. You want more lines to breed which means more dinos. When a tribe reaches alpha could get rid of those dinos but still, you are forcing players to have 15+ of multiple type of dinos when a new server/map is released. At the end of the day no matter if u set dino restrictions, players will always use whats easiest/best, so you'll see the same type of dinos on every tribe, like currently with rexs. Its an interesting idea but its just make the game easier and imo the game its easy enough

I guess ill be the one to say I agree with much of what OP is suggesting here for PVE. I think a lot of you are thinking this suggestion is intended for PVP which then yes a lot of this would be a bad idea. But from my experience in PVE I would say this.

1. I personally dont like to do any taming or harvesting when its not the weekend currently. I do it when I am forced to but more often than not Im just gonna do a big metal/obsidian run on the weekend and hope its enough for my en devours throughout the week. Your reasoning of making it easier for new players is a miss for me as I dont see that as a good thing personally, but for chores like doing meat runs daily to keep troughs fills for babies is a big unfun part of the game for me so slightly increased harvest rates for that alone sounds great to me. But personally I would settle for 2x as standard and 3x(same as small tribes) for the evolution events, 4x is pushing it for me.

2. Cryopod timers are completely and utterly useless for PVE and should be removed. They have no bearing in PVE and just cause aggravation and dragging out simple tasks.

3. Tek transmitters should allow boss fight teleports on PVE. It was removed for a PVP purpose and it just hinders PVE unnecessarily and allows trolls to leave a single jerboa on an obelisk to mess with everyone trying to use that obelisk. Again its another "feature" that just causes aggravation and dragging out gameplay for no reason as until you are deep enough into a map to get teleporters setup, you have to either walk your army to the obelisk(which depending on where your base is could not be a feasible option)/wait for cryosickness of rexes or w/e your using to go away before doing a boss fight which is just unnecessary standing around and waiting.

4. Egg laying rates are fine IMO. As others said the kibble rework has eliminated the need for massive egg farms.

5. When you say decrease the amount of time it takes to breed dinos, then reference 15 day giga raise timers, it sounds more like you mean decrease the time to "raise" dinos actually which I dont agree with so much, Im fine waiting the time to raise most things although those giga/tuso timers are a pain, I feel its well worth it and makes you feel like you accomplished something. What I would like is actual decrease of the breed timers so I dont have to wait 1-2 days to breed for another egg, just a small addition that would speed up early breeding lines but not a huge necessity. OR what would be maybe a better idea would be to add these increased breed rates to the evolution events or even if not every weekend have them be a bit more common cause 1 breeding event a year is just not enough IMO.

6. More boss fights always sounds fun to me. More restrictions on them would be cool as well so I cant just take my rex army and steamroll new content.

All in all some good PVE QoL suggestions here IMO but some of them are not necessary but would still be nice.

15 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

I've been playing since PS4 EA. Yes what we have now is what they decided was the ideal rates for official release so calling it 2x is disingenuous. The EA rates don't count. Only the rates that were present at official release so this is 1x. 

Other than that, I agree with what you said. I don't think rates should be increased, I just don't like when people call these rates 2x. They aren't because EA doesn't matter anymore.

Well, to you they might not count but we could sit here all day going back and forth on our opinions on the matter :P

The real discussion is the OP and im glad we both agree on that minus a small quibble with terminology 

Archived