Customizing list of mods on each server in a cluster

Pipinghot

Customizing list of mods on each server in a cluster

I run a cluster of dedicated servers, and I'm thinking of making a change to the method I use to load mods on each server/map, with the goal being to have different mods on different maps.

My current method uses the gameusersettings.ini file to list the mods that I have in use.

[ServerSettings]
ActiveMods=111111111,222222222,333333333,444444444,555555555

...but this means that the all of the mods are available on every server/map, which i don't like. If we add a new mod on an experimental basis I can't add it just to one map to see if we like it, we end up with the new mod on every server regardless of whether we want it there.

What I want to do is remove the mod list from the GUS.ini file and instead add the list to the start up files for each server, so I can have a customized list of mods load for each map. Like so:

ExecStart=/path/Linux/ShooterGameServer Island?listen?SessionName=TheIsland?GameModIds=11111111,22222222,44444444 -server -log

ExecStart=/path/Linux/ShooterGameServer Center?listen?SessionName=Center?GameModIds=11111111,33333333,55555555 -server -log

ExecStart=/path/Linux/ShooterGameServer Center?listen?SessionName=Ragnarok?GameModIds=11111111,66666666,77777777 -server -log

Obviously it would not be too hard for me to experiment with this and see if it works as intended, but I prefer not to experiment on a production cluster where I might cause problems if I do something wrong. I want to at least see if I can get some confirmation before starting to make changes.

So my question is - have any of you done this, and am I going down the right path?

Which in turn leads to a secondary question - do I actually need to remove the mods from the GUS.ini file, or will the custom startup commands take precedence and allow me to customize future servers/maps without having to make changes to the existing servers/maps that we have been playing for quite a while?

Something to consider and test:-

Let's say you have a mod with unique items like the Auto Feeding Trough on one map and a player makes one to transfer to another map.  What happens to that player and item if you don't have the same mod on the destination map?

Likewise with dinos.  Let's say someone cyropods or uploads a Corrosion Wyvern, but that mod isn't on another map.  Does the dino survive?  Can it be released again on its original map?

What happens to player and creature stats?  If you have a mod that allows changes to the speed of flyers - what happens if one is transferred back and forth?  Are the stats lost?

Let us know how you get on ?

8 hours ago, Larkfields said:

Let's say you have a mod with unique items like the Auto Feeding Trough on one map and a player makes one to transfer to another map.  What happens to that player and item if you don't have the same mod on the destination map?

These are all good questions, if I can get things to work the way I want them to I'll try to remember to come back here and give confirmed answers.

In the meanwhile, your first question is also the first question I'm hoping to answer. As far as I know (based on previous testing with local/host games) if you enter/load a map with an object in your inventory that is not supported by the active mods) any unsupported objects simply disappear.

I had this happen a while back (like 8-10 months ago), I was using a spyglass mod but decided I wanted to use a different spyglass mod instead. So I subscribed/installed the new mod, removed the old mod from my mod list, and then when I launched my local/host game the spyglass from the old mod was simply gone. I had one in my inventory, a couple in boxes and on dino's, and they just all disappeared *poof*. I have a strong suspicion that this is what would happen if you tried to transfer between maps with objects in your possession that are not supported on the map you are transferring too.

And, I'm guessing something similar happens if you try to transfer objects via the Obelisks. Obviously you could upload them from the source server, but when you arrive at the target server the items simply won't be visible in the Obelisk inventory, or they'll somehow be visible but can't be downloaded, won't work or will disappear if you do download them.

I'll definitely test transferring a player with stuff in their inventory, and uploading/downloading via obelisks.

8 hours ago, Larkfields said:

Likewise with dinos.  Let's say someone cyropods or uploads a Corrosion Wyvern, but that mod isn't on another map.  Does the dino survive?  Can it be released again on its original map?

What happens to player and creature stats?  If you have a mod that allows changes to the speed of flyers - what happens if one is transferred back and forth?  Are the stats lost?

We don't have any mods that have custom dino's, or that affect regular creatures like the flyer speed mod. Everything we run adds inanimate objects to the game (stuff like S+, Super Spyglass, Castles Keeps & Forts) so I won't be able to answer any custom-dino related questions.

Archived