Suggest: Introduction to Ark

dodoheroine

My better half has always just watched me play Ark so he sort of knows the game but not really. Now the golden day has arrived: he wants to play too. We'll get a second console so we can truly play together.

Any suggestions of how I shall introduce him to the merry world of Ark?

He is a very social and curious one unlike me so stuff may very well turn out funny on it's own but I'd still like to give him a rememberable start to all this.

Depends. What do you play? Official? Single player? Unofficial?

Get him to start with you on your chosen server type. Start new with him, teach him the ropes. Best to make him be his own tribe (for eg. Dont give him bloodlines yet if you are on official/unofficial) it will breed a better player if he struggles like we all did in the start!

More info and ill be able to help more. Do not I repeat, do not start on splitscreen.. the tether (even on 2 boxes hosted together) will turn him off / reduce freedom of ARK

3 hours ago, Truthgamer10055 said:

DO NOT SHOW HIM OFFICIAL NO MATTER WHAT

Meh, depends on that they want.  Personally i have no problem playing official, and prefer it more then unofficial as many unofficial servers are 'here today, gone tomorrow'.  It really depends on the player and what they want.

I agree, to make the game more enjoyable over the long run, try following the story as closely as possible while advancing your characters, building your base, and taming your dino's.  

4 hours ago, d1nk said:

Best to make him be his own tribe (for eg. Dont give him bloodlines yet if you are on official/unofficial) it will breed a better player if he struggles like we all did in the start!

if your a long term player, yeah that would probably be cool in the begining, but then when it comes to both of them needing to do a boss fight together, they are going to need abit tougher dino's.    Even though my tribe member already had his own dino's when I joined him on official, I started taming my own dino's and breeding them, then later on down the line started inner breeding both dino sets together, we both have enjoyed the outcome and strive to keep them all alive and healthy, even when going into a boss fight, no dino is a toss-away far as we are concerned.

Thank you all, different opinions is what I wanted.

d1nk, he suggested splitscreen but I was suspicious and told him I'd investigate that first... so I did and yeah that is no option whatsoever. We'll use different screens.

About the servers. PvP definitely and personally I prefer Primitive+ but I don't wanna force it on him so we'll see. Prolly gonna start with Vanilla. Honestly we wont have the time to play on Official in a way that would amount to anything. We both have jobs... I wish we had the time but we just don't - but he said we could try on a longer holiday and I'd really like to do that, and not just hand everything to him but to start with nothing and new characters and let him experience the pain himself for the first time. Like you said it would prolly make a better player out of him if he suffers first like everyone else. Also stuff comes at a slower phase so the learning curve of crafting for example is smoother as well as learning to appreciate stuff - and what other players can be like. That lesson I think he will need. He is waaay too happy go lucky about people atm.

On 10/9/2019 at 10:57 PM, Truthgamer10055 said:

DO NOT SHOW HIM OFFICIAL NO MATTER WHAT

and do not spoil the story take him through it

...hahaha and then I see this, yeah I get what you mean but personally, I kinda think he needs that maybe? All the grind and brutality I mean and not to think everyone on a server is our buddy.

The fear is what somehow in a masocistic way I've found enjoyable in Ark. Stuff matters. The fear is real on Official. The accomplishments greater even when small. The losses just grievious and horrible, but the excitement... I would like him to feel those things.

The story is importnant too. I wonder how this all fits together. Maybe we'll start with Official for the reasons mentioned but then move to Unofficial for a more dedicated playing and investigate the story that way. Idk... what do you think?

Getting somewhere on Official but then having to leave would be kinda sad but then again it's not like we could keep that up anyway... yet that raw experience is the fiber of this don't you think?

if your going the unoffical route you could always get your own server and only have it active when you guys want to play, that gives you the 'were really alone here' feeling while exploring everything for the story, and keep your dinos alive while your gone for a week or longer if you shut down the server. problem with many unofficial servers is they are 'here today, gone tomorrow',  you may find one you like, start building, get comfortable with where you are and then... poof... server is gone, never to be seen again.

On 10/9/2019 at 1:57 AM, dodoheroine said:

Any suggestions of how I shall introduce him to the merry world of Ark?

He is a very social and curious one unlike me so stuff may very well turn out funny on it's own but I'd still like to give him a rememberable start to all this.

It also depends on what kind of gamer he is. How much challenge/difficulty does he like in games?

For example, a lot of people who have played PvP in other games don't really get it when you tell them that PvP here is destructive. You can say the words, but unless you seriously hammer the point repeatedly they still don't get it until someone wrecks their stuff. Even if he's seen you lose stuff in PvP and/or heard you talk about it that's not the same as him losing his own stuff after working on it for hours.

Is your goal to see if he wants to play ARK on your level, doing the things that you enjoy most, or is it to have a couples experience where you figure out what parts of ARK you both like while avoiding the parts that even one of you dislikes?

My general advice would be to start on The Island, at "the beginning" of the game, so that he doesn't get spoiled by a map like Ragnarok that is much richer with higher wild levels, and so he doesn't get overwhelmed with the difficulty of Scorched Earth or Aberration. If he has any interest in the ARK story/lore this also gives him the chance to start at the beginning of the story. Then decide whether you want to do PvP or PvE based on what you think he'll enjoy to get started.

No matter what kind of server you two play on (PvP, PvE, Primitive+, Official, Unofficial) you should start a brand new character with him, you to jump into a new server and truly play together to get him started. I've started multiple people in the game, and in my experience people just learn the game more effectively when they start truly from the beginning. When a player joins an existing tribe/base and there is a bunch of stuff already built/tamed/etc they take some things for granted, they don't truly experience the early survival phase of the game, they don't get that extra thrill that comes from discovering things from the beginning and, worst of all they sometimes get overwhelmed and don't want to play because there's to much to deal with at once.

I would suggest primitive first.  It will get them used to how things work without overloading them with lots of features.  Afterwards , then take them to a regular server w/ all the extra fun stuff.

There's all sorts of tricks people forget they can do w/ the animals with all the high level content, being forced to use those tools on primitive gives you a better handle on how you can play.

I too believe getting your own server to start is the best way. You can choose the map, and if you two need to take a break, you can by making the server offline.

You can tweak the settings to what works for both of you, and no worry about some griefer/troll messing with you.

Then after he gets his feet wet, you can always stop the server, and find an established one out there to join.

Hi, my bf and I  joined a server a few weeks ago. Its decently active and everyones nice. It is pve so I don't know if by your post you would be in to that, but people are helpful so if your not around they could answer questions. Also its a cluster so he could figure out what map he likes best. https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/10/1626286205690387531/

Archived