Wild Bosses roaming around genesis?

Scribelord

I mean, nothings off the table since the three titans are in the game, but I really hate the fact that they added in three temporary tames just to upset Mega Tribes that are so entrenched that nobody can threaten them.  They were literally added in just to take away that builder's edge, and even though they said originally that the titans would be permanent in single player or on unofficial with a setting like the Titanosaurus there is no way to keep them from starving to this day.  The titans just really aren't that great of a flavor since their only PVE use is fighting other titans and they die so fast.

I just get tired of Dino's that can't have general use because they get dropped in with such high stats.  I'd really prefer a highly nerfed Megapithecus that could maybe enter boss arenas or enter extinction caves as opposed to a full strength one that can basically only be used to fight titans and do raids.

8 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

I mean, nothings off the table since the three titans are in the game, but I really hate the fact that they added in three temporary tames just to upset Mega Tribes that are so entrenched that nobody can threaten them.  They were literally added in just to take away that builder's edge, and even though they said originally that the titans would be permanent in single player or on unofficial with a setting like the Titanosaurus there is no way to keep them from starving to this day.  The titans just really aren't that great of a flavor since their only PVE use is fighting other titans and they die so fast.

I just get tired of Dino's that can't have general use because they get dropped in with such high stats.  I'd really prefer a highly nerfed Megapithecus that could maybe enter boss arenas or enter extinction caves as opposed to a full strength one that can basically only be used to fight titans and do raids.

Well I wouldn't say there's no way to keep a titan from starving ♡.♡ 

56 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

You say "just added" but the titans are extremely important to arks story.

That would be like saying the flood were just added to scare people in halo.

Also having a nerfed one just doesn't make that much sense imo. I just can't imagine any of the 3 bosses being just normal tames. Imagining like 20 megapithecus, broodmother, or manticore in a boss arena is just to weird and awkward in looks no matter how small they are and they feel too strong to be nerfed so much because it destroys the whole point of them being bosses in the first place. Plus there's not many creatures that fill that role at all and why is there only use to fight Titans? They would be useful all around on not only Extinction but both Genesis part 1 and 2 considering if the 4 are added in as wild they could be used to:

help advance yourself by battling the other wild bosses roaming around genesis if you want to get risky.

help you easily farm for drops so you can do beta or alpha bosses easier.

they can obviously help you in pvp.

they would definitely make fantastic mounts for extinction to help players survive in the wasteland or during Orbital supply drops.

They can help against the aforementioned titans and maybe the bosses for genesis part 1 and 2 (specifically the dragon would be fantastic against them I imagine).

Hell going forward they might end up being some of the most useful tames if you can get them.

Also I think the megapithecus, broodmother, and manticore wouldn't be too ridiculously tough to tame compared to the other "raid" creatures like the Titanosaur, Dragon, or the 3 Titans.

47 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

Also theres a setting in single player that slows down the starving and even stop it so that's a easy workaround.

17 hours ago, Scribelord said:

There not all that overpowered though compared to the other siege tames (disincluding the dragon).

They would all easily be on the weaker end of the siege tames.

Also if you want it permanently just play single player. That limited time mechanic is there for a reason and that's so they aren't stupidly overpowered in online play.

Also titans are based off kaiju so of course there going to be overpowered.

Singleplayer has been totally unreliable for me, and so it seems it shouldn't be played by anyone seriously.  I am an average ARK player with an average computer setup, and I don't play extremely boosted or grind extremely fast, and singleplayer crashes all the flipping time deleting all my progress.  And Titans ARE stupidly overpowered, not because they are "based off kaiju" but because they were designed by the devs to be overpowered.  I know that their devkit name has kaiju in it, so obviously someone at WildCard is a fan of Japanese Kaiju films or something, but that singular fact is where their similarities begin and end.  They give you a 24-hour window of basically being untouchable in PvP and letting you cause all the mayhem you want, and in PvE you can walk all over the game's hardest content without breaking a sweat.  The devs thought the starve mechanic would keep them "balanced."  Many would argue that it does not, including me, because you only ever need nearly-unlimited-power for a short time on PvE (purple drops) or PvP (wiping an entire ARK).

EDIT:  Yes, we can go on YouTube and find a few videos of really powerful Alpha PvP tribes wiping a Titan in a few minutes.  Remember, that is the exception, not the rule.

I dunno Scribe.  I see your point, and I love powerful dinos too.  But I don't see a lot of sense in promoting additions to the imbalance already present.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 8:28 AM, TheDonn said:

Singleplayer has been totally unreliable for me, and so it seems it shouldn't be played by anyone seriously.  I am an average ARK player with an average computer setup, and I don't play extremely boosted or grind extremely fast, and singleplayer crashes all the flipping time deleting all my progress.  And Titans ARE stupidly overpowered, not because they are "based off kaiju" but because they were designed by the devs to be overpowered.  I know that their devkit name has kaiju in it, so obviously someone at WildCard is a fan of Japanese Kaiju films or something, but that singular fact is where their similarities begin and end.  They give you a 24-hour window of basically being untouchable in PvP and letting you cause all the mayhem you want, and in PvE you can walk all over the game's hardest content without breaking a sweat.  The devs thought the starve mechanic would keep them "balanced."  Many would argue that it does not, including me, because you only ever need nearly-unlimited-power for a short time on PvE (purple drops) or PvP (wiping an entire ARK).

EDIT:  Yes, we can go on YouTube and find a few videos of really powerful Alpha PvP tribes wiping a Titan in a few minutes.  Remember, that is the exception, not the rule.

I dunno Scribe.  I see your point, and I love powerful dinos too.  But I don't see a lot of sense in promoting additions to the imbalance already present.

If you've ever seen a Godzilla movie you'd understand exactly why their so overpowered 

I grew up on Godzilla movies and obviously normal things can't scratch them

So I think it makes complete sense that the titans are overpowered.

And the titanosaur is the original raid dino so I don't really see a problem with that

And yes using it against alpha tribes is nice so that way their not always running the server.

It's a way to even the balance.

On 10/11/2019 at 8:28 AM, TheDonn said:

Also I don't know if I'm extremely lucky but I pretty much almost NEVER have bugs happen to me

So playing single player isn't the end of the world at least personally because for me it runs completely fine

2 hours ago, Scribelord said:

If you've ever seen a Godzilla movie you'd understand exactly why their so overpowered 

I grew up on Godzilla movies and obviously normal things can't scratch them

So I think it makes complete sense that the titans are overpowered.

And the titanosaur is the original raid dino so I don't really see a problem with that

And yes using it against alpha tribes is nice so that way their not always running the server.

It's a way to even the balance.

2 weeks later?

We should want more balanced creatures, dude.  That promotes stability and growth, and a somewhat equal playing field for other creatures to actually have a role instead of a catch-all dino that is used for damn near everything because it is extremely OP.  I understand that isn't what most ARK players want, they want to pop-pop-pop some nodes and stand on a purple with the Ice Titan killing everything with the leap attack, get sweet loot, brag a bit in global, and log out.  Or they want to do the PvP side of it but with a Titan VS a bunch of wood or stone bases for some fair and balanced PvP.

I just don't think the suggestion for the addition of OP dinos is prudent.

13 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

2 weeks later?

We should want more balanced creatures, dude.  That promotes stability and growth, and a somewhat equal playing field for other creatures to actually have a role instead of a catch-all dino that is used for damn near everything because it is extremely OP.  I understand that isn't what most ARK players want, they want to pop-pop-pop some nodes and stand on a purple with the Ice Titan killing everything with the leap attack, get sweet loot, brag a bit in global, and log out.  Or they want to do the PvP side of it but with a Titan VS a bunch of wood or stone bases for some fair and balanced PvP.

I just don't think the suggestion for the addition of OP dinos is prudent.

Been busy with college and other things personal stuff like that

And exactly we want more stability and if we don't have things like titans then the alpha tribes are just going to March around unopposed 

And granted there are those few instances where a alpha tribe kills a titan but at the same time that shows why the titans and other things like that need to exist 

And even then the tribes are definitely badly wounded considering they just had to fight off a kaiju making the playing field even.

1 hour ago, Scribelord said:

Been busy with college and other things personal stuff like that

And exactly we want more stability and if we don't have things like titans then the alpha tribes are just going to March around unopposed 

And granted there are those few instances where a alpha tribe kills a titan but at the same time that shows why the titans and other things like that need to exist 

And even then the tribes are definitely badly wounded considering they just had to fight off a kaiju making the playing field even.

Ok.  If you'd like to believe that the Extinction Titans being OP is a boon to the game because of how many Alphas they have wiped, I guess go ahead.  I do not believe that.  I think more often than not it is the rest of the server that suffers primarily.  Even from my weak understanding of ARK PvP I know that PRIMARILY (not occasionally), people go after targets that pose little to no threat to them.  They want the generic feeling of "raiding," that is to say, killing tames and destroying structures.  You don't get that by running an Extinction Titan into a wall of TEK turrets and heavies, eating some of them, and getting it killed.  You get that by leveling the rest of the server outside the Alpha.  Occasionally, I'm sure tribes set up planned strikes on other big tribes, and Extinction Titans are part of their siege.  But we can't look at the 1%, or the 5%, or even the 10% of uses.

Alphas ARE unopposed though.  That's why they are Alphas, because they are the top tier threat on the server.  I just don't think fighting power with overpower works, in my experience with life in general and in ARK, because it doesn't end there.  Another level of over-power is discovered, and now the power gap between the top and bottom is even wider if aggressive survivors want it to be.  It is a good point that it might momentarily weaken them, depending on where you choose to strike.  You might get lucky and hit their alt server, and weaken it enough to real-raid it after it has dealt with the Extinction Titan.

I guess my question is, how do we give people a tool/structure/creature that can actually stand against something like an Extinction Titan without just being a more powerful Titan?  Scaling up won't work.  Like I said, scaling only upward means that the lower end tribes and hundreds of creatures become even more insignificant.

2 hours ago, TheDonn said:

Ok.  If you'd like to believe that the Extinction Titans being OP is a boon to the game because of how many Alphas they have wiped, I guess go ahead.  I do not believe that.  I think more often than not it is the rest of the server that suffers primarily.  Even from my weak understanding of ARK PvP I know that PRIMARILY (not occasionally), people go after targets that pose little to no threat to them.  They want the generic feeling of "raiding," that is to say, killing tames and destroying structures.  You don't get that by running an Extinction Titan into a wall of TEK turrets and heavies, eating some of them, and getting it killed.  You get that by leveling the rest of the server outside the Alpha.  Occasionally, I'm sure tribes set up planned strikes on other big tribes, and Extinction Titans are part of their siege.  But we can't look at the 1%, or the 5%, or even the 10% of uses.

Alphas ARE unopposed though.  That's why they are Alphas, because they are the top tier threat on the server.  I just don't think fighting power with overpower works, in my experience with life in general and in ARK, because it doesn't end there.  Another level of over-power is discovered, and now the power gap between the top and bottom is even wider if aggressive survivors want it to be.  It is a good point that it might momentarily weaken them, depending on where you choose to strike.  You might get lucky and hit their alt server, and weaken it enough to real-raid it after it has dealt with the Extinction Titan.

I guess my question is, how do we give people a tool/structure/creature that can actually stand against something like an Extinction Titan without just being a more powerful Titan?  Scaling up won't work.  Like I said, scaling only upward means that the lower end tribes and hundreds of creatures become even more insignificant.

You know what

What about a tek nuke bomb?

That does exist in the ark lore for aberration so they could possibly throw that into the game

If well placed a alpha tribe would definitely get hurt badly and I feel like using a nuke on a aforementioned small tribe would be the most biggest waste of materials possible 

Basically it would be more geared towards the higher up tribes to kill eachother with while the smaller tribes are for the most part safe due to the ridiculous amounts of resources it would need to craft one and wasting it on a small tribe would be agonizingly painful due to the sheer amount of resources and it would constantly bring down strong tribes to even the playing field.

I think it should be capable of killing everything but titans (they would be hurt badly though if not near death so 15% or below) so basically making the titans easier targets and destroying every kind of structure.

So the other Raid Creatures like the Megapithecus, Broodmother, Manticore, Titanosaur, and Dragon would all be killed regardless if in the blast radius (dragon or manticore maybe if they flew away quick enough to get out of the blast radius but I doubt that)

Sure the Ice Titan could try jumping out of the blast radius but I doubt it and the Forest Titan can block to reduce some of the damage but they would definitely both get hurt badly if caught in it

The only creature that I think can effectively be used and survive by avoiding the nuke is the Desert Titan since it could fly up high and try getting out of the radius and even if that doesn't work it would still survive since it is one of the 3 titans albeit very damaged and near death but still survive.

The idea in my head for how tough they are to make would be basically think when atlas released and it was a complete grind fest that's what the nuke would be like and that's just to craft 1.

3 hours ago, Scribelord said:

You know what

What about a tek nuke bomb?

That does exist in the ark lore for aberration so they could possibly throw that into the game

If well placed a alpha tribe would definitely get hurt badly and I feel like using a nuke on a aforementioned small tribe would be the most biggest waste of materials possible 

Basically it would be more geared towards the higher up tribes to kill eachother with while the smaller tribes are for the most part safe due to the ridiculous amounts of resources it would need to craft one and wasting it on a small tribe would be agonizingly painful due to the sheer amount of resources and it would constantly bring down strong tribes to even the playing field.

I think it should be capable of killing everything but titans (they would be hurt badly though if not near death so 15% or below) so basically making the titans easier targets and destroying every kind of structure.

So the other Raid Creatures like the Megapithecus, Broodmother, Manticore, Titanosaur, and Dragon would all be killed regardless if in the blast radius (dragon or manticore maybe if they flew away quick enough to get out of the blast radius but I doubt that)

Sure the Ice Titan could try jumping out of the blast radius but I doubt it and the Forest Titan can block to reduce some of the damage but they would definitely both get hurt badly if caught in it

The only creature that I think can effectively be used and survive by avoiding the nuke is the Desert Titan since it could fly up high and try getting out of the radius and even if that doesn't work it would still survive since it is one of the 3 titans albeit very damaged and near death but still survive.

The idea in my head for how tough they are to make would be basically think when atlas released and it was a complete grind fest that's what the nuke would be like and that's just to craft 1.

One of the aspects of being an Alpha tribe, or the top WalMart on your PvE server, is that at a certain point materials mean absolutely nothing to you.  This is certainly true nowadays, and so if you are the Alpha or a serverhopping Megatribe, it becomes a lot easier to clean a server out so you can set up a dino farm or material farm, with something like a TEK Nuke.  Or if you are a lower-ish level tribe, eventually it becomes nothing to get a few TEK Nukes from your local WalMart for a few Ankylo runs, set em up strategically, and farm drops.  Yes, nuance could and likely would be added, like "TEK Nukes damage all structures and dinos in range, even friendly ones" or "TEK Nukes damage OSDs and Element Veins" but we see a different problem with limitations like that.  They would be virtually useless in PvE, and mandatory for raiding in PvP.

I'll admit though...  It is an intriguing proposition.  Bear in mind though, the only known TEK Nuke ever to have been set off in the lore altered the course of gameplay drastically for those survivors and us, and almost destroyed an entire ARK.

14 hours ago, TheDonn said:

One of the aspects of being an Alpha tribe, or the top WalMart on your PvE server, is that at a certain point materials mean absolutely nothing to you.  This is certainly true nowadays, and so if you are the Alpha or a serverhopping Megatribe, it becomes a lot easier to clean a server out so you can set up a dino farm or material farm, with something like a TEK Nuke.  Or if you are a lower-ish level tribe, eventually it becomes nothing to get a few TEK Nukes from your local WalMart for a few Ankylo runs, set em up strategically, and farm drops.  Yes, nuance could and likely would be added, like "TEK Nukes damage all structures and dinos in range, even friendly ones" or "TEK Nukes damage OSDs and Element Veins" but we see a different problem with limitations like that.  They would be virtually useless in PvE, and mandatory for raiding in PvP.

I'll admit though...  It is an intriguing proposition.  Bear in mind though, the only known TEK Nuke ever to have been set off in the lore altered the course of gameplay drastically for those survivors and us, and almost destroyed an entire ARK.

Simple make it hard to get even then

If they can get it easily just keep dragging up the resources needed 

Plus obviously they wouldn't have the power to destroy the entire ark but they would have a wide range and I have been thinking about that after effect idea but I don't know about it.

(Maybe large biome sized explosion)

And even then I think a nuke shouldn't be allowed to be transferred to different servers and can only be used on the server it was crafted on

And even if it is transferrable it should only be a one use transfer sort of thing so they would be forced to choose somewhere to transfer it to instead of going around to different servers deciding which ones they would want to use it on otherwise it'll disappear if they try.

Point being whether the alpha tribes like it or not this will be a challenge to even get just one since if it becomes too easy the devs can always drag up the resources needed and if they want to put the effort into such a powerful weapon they'll have to choose what server to build one on.

A lot of this conversation seems to have descended into whatever is put in, wild bosses and more, has to have equal utility in PVP and PVE, and I kind of doubt that is possible. They are very different playstyles that need different things, which is probably why there is such a divide between them.

If there has to be a balance, it would probably have to be in the something for one side and something for the other sort of way. Like separate updates and balancing would be. Nothing truly locked off, but like the Tek Nuke for example. Not useful in PVE, but still accessible to them. The way things are, I seriously doubt any balancing could make a significant majority happy. Without a doubt Genesis will debut with several interesting features that will be rolled back like the other DLCs.

As for roaming bosses, I think it is an interesting idea. I would definitely want them to be optional battles with something a value to be obtaining for beating them. If they are tameable, I just want them to retain some sort of boss status/character. They were designed to be special and I would like them to keep that quality. I would think that would lean towards temporary raid games. Still, I'd have to judge it on the individual nerf. If a Megapithicus just becomes a Gigantopithicus that looks like a boss basically, I would have rather they did something else with their time and resources.

Archived