On 27 December 2015 at 0:26 PM, usinfantry1516 said:

So might be a dumb question, but oh well. Will there be a way to transfer your non-dedicated server to a dedicated server, in the future?

I doubt it, looking at the way you can change a lot of stats prior to starting the server, it seems like you could easily 'cheat' to a higher lvl and then go have fun in the 'real world' when you're 'prepared'.

What I'm curious about is if I make a Non-Dedicated server and play with my friends for a while, what happens to it when we log off? When I restart the server, will our buildings and animals be saved? I can only assume this will not be the case, right?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a way to delete the save file and start again since I glitched into a lava pit and anytime I respawn after dying the game crashes regardless of me choosing just a normal respawn or create a new character. I knew there would be plenty bugs in the early stages of the preview but this is just soul destroying.

On 12/23/2015 at 0:58 AM, djhuckaba said:

Why can't all the xboxes help run the game instead of mostly one? That's like having 4 wheels on a car but all the work put on one. You'd get more done. If I can play single player and go every where... And they can play single player and go every where... Why can't we just sync information or something? Just please don't give up raising or possibly removing the tether. My friends really don't even want to play with me because they're on a leash in a wide open game. I wouldn't want to play on a leash either. I know you're all doing your best and I absolutely love the game but the tether kills it for me... One thing that might help people is of you can move servers that you dedicated to different xboxes. Just sign in on another Xbox with the info and resume where you left off on the other. That'd be great. 

Yeah can't y'all do this that would eliminate the biggest problem I can find

Hey everyone I am not fully up on the topic but I can lend some experience from helping develop on the 360 for the Indie Marketplace. I'll give some rough info I have been told in the past and a Suggestion I have.

Why can't all the X Boxes help run the game?

That is not the way and console works. The Host Console up till now has been the only one Running the Game and letting the Host Play so that one system really does all the work and when I used to ask that I was often told if the Guest is hauling some of the load than they have to transmit to the Host and the Host to the other Guests and that straight up creates Delay in information yet alone other daemons apparently.

Can my Friends play when I am Gone?

Non-Dedicated does not allow that because the host is not playing. You would have to leave your world up and your friends can only work in the Tether Zone. Personally this is what I do often when me and friends go out on a Hunt or Resource Expedition and I am only going to be away for like an hour or so. They can empty chests and build the base up or Craft items for the next Expedition.

My suggestions are:

I understand the Tether but can we get an exchange of more distance for less guests where we get 50 or 100 meters more for every less 1 or 2 players. Especially if you up it to 8 than 2-3 players should be able to run farther from one another I would hope.

I Launch a Non-Dedicated session where me and my friends do missions is great but what about being able to Relaunch it in Dedicated Mode so my friends can play that same world and just re-tether them when I come Back?

When Guests Respawn they often end up on the bottom of the ocean because I am on a raft and loose all their gear. Let them Chase Cam me so they know not to hit the respawn button till I hit land maybe?

Fabulous Game Guys and congrats on the new system launch. Got me hooked already because of the steep learning curves and high difficulty.

If at all possible could you focus on increasing the tether limit. Me and my friends could work alot quicker and get alot more done if we weren't restricted to 200m. Ex) My friend, the host, is building our base up and a supply drop is seen a little down the beach. I want to go retrieve it but it is too far away. He doesn't want to stop building or say he is taming something he doesn't want to leave. It would just provide a better experience and increase progress. Thank you and i love the game overall.

i played untill level 24 on a not dedicated server ( i'm the host) with my friend. we upload finally the profile into the obelisc but unfortunately when i come back to my host non dedicated i have to start with a new caracter. i can't dowload my profile. i can see my caracter sleeping in my farm but i can't use it anymore. i know that there was the same problem on pc version and they solved cancelling the cartel data of the second profile, but i can't do that on my xbox. could you help me? i tried to dowload him in a pubblic server but it did't solved the problem.

how i can fix it?

On 12/30/2015 at 0:39 PM, KiDoNL said:

I doubt it, looking at the way you can change a lot of stats prior to starting the server, it seems like you could easily 'cheat' to a higher lvl and then go have fun in the 'real world' when you're 'prepared'.

What I'm curious about is if I make a Non-Dedicated server and play with my friends for a while, what happens to it when we log off? When I restart the server, will our buildings and animals be saved? I can only assume this will not be the case, right?

It all saves.

I have a character on my friend's non-dedicated server and we have made some significant progress. Being a non-dedicated server, when my friend logged off, I could no longer play on the server. Still wanting to play Ark, I joined an official server and made a new character as prompted. The next day when trying to rejoin my friend's non-dedicated server, it forced me to create a new character, having to start all over again. Was this a glitch or are you not allowed to have different characters on different servers? Because I want to continue playing Ark when my friend is not online, but I don't want to lose everything on the character I have on his non-dedicated server. If I join another server, official, non-dedicated, or if I even make my own non-dedicated server, can I still maintain other characters on different servers?

My concern is the tether as well. If a game like Witcher 3 with its massive open world and incredible graphics can run and have nearly no loading screens unless you die and have to wait a while which is fine. But why can't this game do that as well I mean yes there are other players but we have been told that this Xbox has the latest hardware so it should be possible for there not to even need a tether or just one this short. I can understand having one for now but I believe that this problem should be fixed with a longer length or just found a way to create the world completely at the start with a long loading time and have the animal respawn as the player gets close. I know you guys are working very hard and your doing a fantastic job. I love this game I play everyday its just my Friends and I get very frustrated when we can't do different tasks at the same time even if they are pretty close to each other just out of the borders. Please its a great issue that we all feel should be worked on very soon. But till then keep up the great work. We all know you got it in you and thank you for the experience.

• Wildcard Community
1 minute ago, LJ said:

This was said already but nobody answered the people asking. Do Non-Dedicated servers get updates applied to them? Or will it stay at the version it was created on?

When the console gets an update, it will also receive the host software for a non-dedicated server if there is an update. The non-dedicated server should stay in line with the console that is hosting it automatically.

How do i reload/join back onto a non-dedicated server i have already made. i made a server last night and played it all day, but i woke up today, and there is no way of getting on the server. plllleeeaaassseee can someone help.

Please can someone help me i have looked everywhere on reddit. xbox help, youtube, steam this is my last hope.

I dont want to do anything on ark just in case it deletes it but i really want to play it.

12 hours ago, adamoxley said:

How do i reload/join back onto a non-dedicated server i have already made. i made a server last night and played it all day, but i woke up today, and there is no way of getting on the server. plllleeeaaassseee can someone help.

Please can someone help me i have looked everywhere on reddit. xbox help, youtube, steam this is my last hope.

I dont want to do anything on ark just in case it deletes it but i really want to play it.

9 hours ago, adamoxley said:

Please can someone help i have looked everywhere to find out But i can not find out how to re join back on my previous non-dedicated server

Hey, I was wondering the exact same thing and just figured it out.

Host another non-dedicated server using the exact same details (Server Name and Password) it will log you into the same server you previously created.

I hope this helps.

On 1/9/2016 at 8:17 AM, assassins2069 said:

If a game like Witcher 3 with its massive open world and incredible graphics can run and have nearly no loading screens unless you die and have to wait a while which is fine. But why can't this game do that as well I mean yes there are other players but we have been told that this Xbox has the latest hardware so it should be possible for there not to even need a tether...

The reason this game can't run it's world as easily as the Witcher is solely because of the fact that there are other players. Due to the fact that I have never played the Witcher (and therefor can't reference specific input/output consequences) it's hard to give examples of what I mean so I can only really give a conceptual answer. Conceptually, you have one piece of info that must be able to RECEIVE input from TWO different SOURCES, that are CHANGING the INFO, while ALSO making sure both sources get the EXACT SAME info. That's the shortest and simplest way I can think of to explain it.

18 hours ago, Neuggs2 said:

The reason this game can't run it's world as easily as the Witcher is solely because of the fact that there are other players. Due to the fact that I have never played the Witcher (and therefor can't reference specific input/output consequences) it's hard to give examples of what I mean so I can only really give a conceptual answer. Conceptually, you have one piece of info that must be able to RECEIVE input from TWO different SOURCES, that are CHANGING the INFO, while ALSO making sure both sources get the EXACT SAME info. That's the shortest and simplest way I can think of to explain it.

Then tell me how minecraft can do this. not looking a graphical stand point then but just how it works because you can multiple people on one sever with one host no tether while also having mobs that's have there own thing they do and affecting the players. Also while players are ever changing the world with creating and making new things. All running without this tether. Why is this? And how can they get this amazing game at least in that aspect be similar. But maybe the issue is with the mobs and having so many. I don't know I'm not an expert all I wanted was to stress my concerns that's how I feel putting in comments about an issue will help them see it needs work that's all.

On 1/13/2016 at 5:57 PM, assassins2069 said:

Then tell me how minecraft can do this. not looking a graphical stand point then but just how it works because you can multiple people on one sever with one host no tether while also having mobs that's have there own thing they do and affecting the players. Also while players are ever changing the world with creating and making new things. All running without this tether. Why is this? And how can they get this amazing game at least in that aspect be similar. But maybe the issue is with the mobs and having so many. I don't know I'm not an expert all I wanted was to stress my concerns that's how I feel putting in comments about an issue will help them see it needs work that's all.

Well if you compare it to minecraft then the graphics are actually a factor in it (realistic graphics = more strain on the GPU of the system thus resulting in more chances of "lag").

On 12/24/2015 at 6:07 PM, Codysaurus said:

Non-dedicated servers are almost pointless to even join how is a player suppose to have fun and enjoy a game that's as big as ark in 200m there's no point and even if you play as the host its still limiting and the host feels bad when a friend wants to do something but the host does something away from whatever the other person does limiting the gameplay and the bugs in the game are so incredibly horrible it basically makes the game unplayable at times I know the developers are have a lot to deal with but still when you release a game you should know if the thing works properly first 

the best way to test a game is to release it there are no perfectly smooth games there will always be bugs and lag but if they release the game then the community  helps find bugs and they report them

Could there not be a way to take turns being the host of the same non-dedicated server?

Say my friend is the host and I join him, I'm bound to his tether.

But my Xbox has the settings for that server then so why can't I then say, host the server myself when he is offline? Then if he logs on he will be bound to MY tether?

Is that possible Devs?

That would be a good compromise between having the tether and not being able to play unless my friend is on?

Archived