Welcome to the FAQ thread for Non-Dedicated Multiplayer Sessions on Xbox - ARK: Survival Evolved!

Greetings Survivors!

We’re making some changes to the way our trial experience works to better accommodate the high demand of everyone who’s eager to play ARK!

In this thread you will find answers to things we think will be helpful to you guys while finding your way on the ARK including Tips, Tricks, and Questions that we see popping up frequently.

This thread is LIVE and will be updated with more Questions & Answers in the future.

Have a suggestion? Head on over to the “Game Suggestions” thread here: http://bit.ly/1RV35wM

How do I create a Non-Dedicated Multiplayer Session?

To create a Non-Dedicated Multiplayer Session, from the title screen you select “Host \ Local” which will then take you to a screen titled “Host Ark Settings”. From here you can select different types of settings to speed up or slow down progression of your game.

Can I play while I host a Non-Dedicated Multiplayer Session?

Yes, as the host of the Non-Dedicated Multiplayer Session, you will be partaking in the game along with your friends. Your friends will also be tethered to you for a 200m distance.

How do I join a friend’s Non-Dedicated Multiplayer Session?

Players hosting a Non-Dedicated Multiplayer Session can invite their friends (trial accounts or paid accounts) through the Xbox Live Friends list.

Can my friends join my Non-Dedicated Multiplayer Session when I'm not online?

No. The host needs to be running the client and hosting the game at the same time. If you're not on, your friends will not be able to join your Non-Dedicated Multiplayer Session.

Why won’t you let me walk away from my friends?!?! I don’t like this guy anymore and I don’t want to build with this loser!

Currently, hosting a Non-Dedicated Multiplayer Session requires all players to be with 200m of one another. The reason tethering exists is to ensure that there are enough resources for you, the host, to run both the server and the client at the same time. With better optimization, we can increase these limits in the future!

I’m so lonely in this empty server, how many of my friends can I invite into my Non-Dedicated Multiplayer Session?

Currently, a Non-Dedicated Multiplayer Session can have up to 4 players, that’s 3+YOU (the Host). In the future we plan on increasing the number of players that can be on at a given time in a Non-Dedicated Multiplayer Session after further optimization.

Do I have to purchase ARK before I can host a Non-Dedicated Multiplayer Session?

Yes, in order to host a Non-Dedicated Multiplayer Sessions for you and your friends to play on, one person will have to purchase the Game Preview for Ark: Survival Evolved so that they can invite their friends, who have ARK: Survival Evolved installed on their Xbox, to join in adventuring their ARK.

• Nubsly pinned this topic
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why can't all the xboxes help run the game instead of mostly one? That's like having 4 wheels on a car but all the work put on one. You'd get more done. If I can play single player and go every where... And they can play single player and go every where... Why can't we just sync information or something? Just please don't give up raising or possibly removing the tether. My friends really don't even want to play with me because they're on a leash in a wide open game. I wouldn't want to play on a leash either. I know you're all doing your best and I absolutely love the game but the tether kills it for me... One thing that might help people is of you can move servers that you dedicated to different xboxes. Just sign in on another Xbox with the info and resume where you left off on the other. That'd be great. 

My cousin has died many, many times due to beING warped into walls, cliffs, drowned etc. I wonder how games like minecraft can do it, I understand minecraft pales in comparison as far as graphics and physics is concerned, but perhapse they could do it in a way so that only a radius around a player is rendered? They plan on adding 8 players to private servers. I can't imagine this being fun for any of the 7 guys having to follow around the host. Or the host hearing "you're killing me, you're killing me" constantly. If it's here to stay, at least teleport the player next to the host. Don't drag them into walls and countless other objects that cause them to slingshot to their death resulting in a loss of their items due to having no f'n clue where they went. The other issue I have is I can't host a server me and my friends have been working on without being away from the game. They are limited to the 200m tether. So my buddies can't progress unless I'm playing. Otherwise, loving the game, and it's taking up way too much of my free time.

5 minutes ago, Lukey84 said:

In a non dedicated server does my progress and character save? If I open it again will I start where  I left off? Same question for dedicated servers.

You character maintains level and items when you log off but your spawn point is relative to the host when you join the next time (you have to maintain the 200m boundary). In my experience i have spawned right next to the host the next time I joined the game.

12 minutes ago, Magadin said:

You character maintains level and items when you log off but your spawn point is relative to the host when you join the next time (you have to maintain the 200m boundary). In my experience i have spawned right next to the host the next time I joined the game.

And if I build a structure it will still exist? That works for me. We did a 3 player game last night and as long as everyone sticks together it was great. 

Non-dedicated servers are almost pointless to even join how is a player suppose to have fun and enjoy a game that's as big as ark in 200m there's no point and even if you play as the host its still limiting and the host feels bad when a friend wants to do something but the host does something away from whatever the other person does limiting the gameplay and the bugs in the game are so incredibly horrible it basically makes the game unplayable at times I know the developers are have a lot to deal with but still when you release a game you should know if the thing works properly first 

They have never released the game they released a work in progress so i have no idea why you are complaining about it you bought the game knowing full well that there were going to be bugs and glitches from the start so you should let them work and they can fix the bugs and glitches and then the game can actually be fullly released we are just testing the game for them they didn't even have to release it on the xbox one if they didn't want to so just be happy that we can even play this amazing game and give them feedback on their game so we can pave the way for the rest of the world

22 hours ago, Lukey84 said:

And if I build a structure it will still exist? That works for me. We did a 3 player game last night and as long as everyone sticks together it was great. 

As long as everyone sticks together it's meant to be an open world game not walk the dog simulator this leash thing is ridicoulous the xbox is more then capable of running an entire world it only has to render once yeah maybe you'd have to wait 10 or 15 minutes for the world to load up but it would be worth it to get rid of the dog leash and also someone mentioned up above if one xbox can't do it why not use all 4 that is a genius idea but these guys don't listen to us I've left countless tweets countless messages in forums for them and got nothing back 

What they really should try doing is allow players to rent a dedicated private server like they have on pc. Battlefield is able to do it. Granted I know the games are completely different but the idea is still good. If not that then allow a 3rd party program (if one does not own another copy of the gane) on a computer to host the dedicated server because not everyone has $400 lying around for another xbone.

Archived