• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/24/2015 at 9:07 PM, Codysaurus said:

Non-dedicated servers are almost pointless to even join how is a player suppose to have fun and enjoy a game that's as big as ark in 200m there's no point and even if you play as the host its still limiting and the host feels bad when a friend wants to do something but the host does something away from whatever the other person does limiting the gameplay and the bugs in the game are so incredibly horrible it basically makes the game unplayable at times I know the developers are have a lot to deal with but still when you release a game you should know if the thing works properly first 

The thing is, the game hasn't technically been released. There's even a grey bar on the top of the game's icon that reads "Game Preview" meaning it isn't complete yet. I would assume that XB and PC are given early access opportunities in an effort to figure out "if the thing works properly" before they plan to release it in June.

On 12/23/2015 at 4:47 AM, JoshuaR said:

Is there any way to clear the data for the non dedicated server? When the new update came out and you upped the limits on the settings, i cant get the changes to take affect in a game i already created but people creating new maps are able to use the new multipliers

Yes this! I would love to be able to delete the data of my non-dedicated server and just start over.. when I first made it I set it on the easiest difficulty for my roommate to see and now it's stuck like that.. everytime I log on I switch it to hard but everything is still like level 2.. I'd like to start over or even make a second one but everything I read says I can't yet

Hey Guys, am i stupid or is there a way to save the serversettings for xBox singleplayer mode. everytime i turn on my xbox i have to adjust the sliders to my favourit stats and thats pretty annoyjing. so after i adjustet my sliders i go in the down left corner and click "Play Singleplayer".

any suggestions?

I think my question is the same as usinfantry1516 above me but I've been playing on non dedicated for quite some time now and I would like to try dedicated, but I'm worried that I will lose all my progress, also I accidentally clicked dedicated once and the load time took quite some time but I just restarted my xbox-one. ,

31 minutes ago, CrimsonCatNep said:

Why does it say that you can host and play at the same time, but when we tried doing that with my console, I could no longer play on my own server but my friends could. After doing research online I found out I had to have a separate xbox just to be the server itself. Why is that?

You can play a Non-Dedicated with 4 (possibly 8 if they put that in finally) players and a like 200m tether where they can't leave your side.

The Dedicated Server is what requires the 2nd Xbox One that does nothing but run the Game but there is no tether and you can host 50 player.

On 2/13/2016 at 0:17 AM, Lukey84 said:

I think you're OK with joining non dedicated and keeping progress. It seems like the non-dedicated server is the same as your single player map. 

You mean "Ok with joining dedicated and keeping progress"? haha, also if I select the dedicated button is it natural to take a longer loading time than dedicated? 

On 2/13/2016 at 7:17 PM, Lukey84 said:

I think you're OK with joining non dedicated and keeping progress. It seems like the non-dedicated server is the same as your single player map. 

6 hours ago, MickThorpe1 said:

You mean "Ok with joining dedicated and keeping progress"? haha, also if I select the dedicated button is it natural to take a longer loading time than dedicated? 

I'll take a stab at this...

Single Player & Non-Dedicated: Are the Same World and can be launched either way and continue progress from last save.

Needed: 1 Xbox to host and play

Positives: Can play Split-screen as of 731.0 Update. Personally would like to see Split Vertical as an option.

Negatives: Tether applied to everyone in your world. All players must be within 200 meters ish of the Host.

Dedicated: Is a Separate World from the SP & ND world with the Option to Delete the Data.

Needed : 1 Xbox to Host and 1 Xbox to Play.

Positives: No Tether ! ! !  Worth every Penny to play on. You control the world not Ark so Griefers can be banned. Can Download Animals and Characters From SP & ND.

Negatives: No Split-Screen... Have to go shopping 2-3 times a day for meat to keep the Carnos Fed if you keep the world up 24/7

Setting Up Dedicated with 2 Xbox Systems:

Needed: 2 Xbox Systems ; 1 Gold Account ; 1 Copy of the Game ; Good Internet

Step 1: Get 2nd Xbox and set it up where your original System is set to your Home System. (Look it up on Xbox.com)

Step 2: Sign into the New System and Install the Game so it is playable from both Consoles.

Step 3: Create a Junk Xbox Gamer Tag to be your Host and add it to your Family so it shares your Gold and can play Ark on you original System.

Step 4: Launch Ark with the New GT (Gamer Tag) and Setup a World and hit the Launch Dedicated Option. (Takes longer to load than SP & ND)

Step 5: Launch Ark with your Normal GT that you play with on the New System.

Step 6: Try to join the world but if it still doesn't show Join through the New GT's Join Game Option like Joining a Party or Send an Invite to yourself from the New GT.

Step 7: Invite Friends and Enjoy the Vast bounds of Ark without the Tether.

Once again worth every Penny in my opinion. Completely changed how we play for the better and increased our resources and enjoyment 2-3 times over.

I bought a Refurbished 2nd System off Amazon for $270 as opposed to a $350 - $500 New System with a protection plan. I figured I can get the cheaper system Fixed or buy another one if it broke for the cost of the New System and quite frankly it is not my primary system so i can still play my main console if there were problems.

I want to address a few questions brought up here, pertaining specifically to the Xbox One version:

1) Characters saved on non-dedicated servers will not be lost if you play on a dedicated server as well. The two function independently. So have no fear! Explore the depth of the game offline and brave the perils of the online servers!

2) There is currently no clear way of deleting/resetting single player data or non dedicated server data, without deleting all game data. I say this because no one has been able to confirm a working method and the devs have yet to add that functionality intentionally. It's something I hope they add, because my non dedicated/single player map is buggy and not merging well with the recent update.

3) The concept of dedicated servers requires an unusable host Xbox because of connectivity and rendering.  Between texturing, rendering, model spawn and independent behavior, on top of persistent architecture and tamed dino location, behavior and stat lines, there is a tremendous bandwidth and processor requirement. Minecraft can circumvent these issues by having smaller texture files, fewer and less diverse MOBs without levels or food/water/stamina/experience to keep track of, as well as different data storage processes. This isn't to say the tether is inherently necessary, but it adds functionality to streamline gameplay on non dedicated servers. They have bumped the range in the last update, so clearly they will work on optimization that will allow the eventual increase or even removal of the tether range.

4) Renting servers is an interesting concept, one that I'm not opposed to provided there's a free alternative. However, using multiple consoles to split server tension is tricky because of stability and redundancy issues. It can be done, but it's neither clean nor optimal, and poses the risks of losing data in transfer. My friend runs a dedicated server on his wife's Xbox while she's at work, and it works amazingly unless there's communication issues. If her Xbox connection screws up, we can lose 30 minutes worth of work. If mine, or another one of our regulars has an issue, we lose almost nothing. So piggybacking servers could have the same issues with almost no optimization improvements.

I wanted to take a moment to thank the Devs for such a unique and gripping game that has occupied almost all my free time since December!

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 11:41 PM, Preston0525 said:

When I try to join my friends game it keeps on saying "join failed" over and over ??? Pls help 

Did you ever sort the problem out? I am still getting this message this issue started a few weeks ago when my son tries to join I have submitted a support tick but so far no reply.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This new mods program they are planning to launch to Xbox One in May will it work on Non-dedicated severs (single-player) from launch or just their official servers and how will it work, will they be updated into the game normally or do you need to download them separately like free add-ons. I under stand the first mod is a map called The Center a map size increase with some redesign and the then the next one is Primitive+ which i'm looking forward to.

The information about the program doesn't say how it'll be released and if it will gradually be release to all servers Official servers, Dedicated servers and Non-dedicated servers over time. (months between)

If anyone is smarter than me or has seen more information somewhere please share

A new bug hunt :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived