Structure Limit 2019

Gafgarion

the only structure limits i have hit are within a small closed in area.  limiting the # of structures to 40, but im not sure how that is calculated, as it seems not to effect structures above / below where the limit is being hit. My main base is pretty large, and has undergone several rebuilds the last year (currently working on yet another rebuild) but I have yet to hit the total structure limit with it.  You can see some screens shots  i shared here:

It pretty much covers the full front of Herbivore island, and has been built out across the water with pillar supports going from all the way down at the ocean floor up to the ceiling pieces. That combined with the other outposts that we have, and the large building from my other friend who merged with us, I imagine we may be getting close to it unless its just a structural limit within a set area range.

There is another tribe thats been on the server for years who has a rather massive base, and i think its even larger then all my building pieces put together, and they still have still be building as well.  I'd guess if wildcard was going to change the overall structure limit it would be a decrease in size rather then a increase.

22 minutes ago, Zapha said:

And you do not care about the horrible lag such massive bases create?

we actually have very little lag at our base, most of our dino's however are in cryo most of the time, only bringing out the ones we need at the time, i.e egg layers to make up kibble, boss rexes, water dino's and the such.  the only lag we seem to get around our base is load lag, where we have to wait for the pieces to load in.  However across the shore from us are two large bases packed with dino's, and we see lag causes by bases like those more often then the large bases that are well maintained.  If my base were to start causing me lag issues then I would start reducing it to solve the problem.

The majority of the lag we are seeing on the island can be contributed to certain players connecting to the server, as everyone is experiencing the lag after they join, not only small lag spike frequency increasing but delay in transfers to and from containers/creatures.  We do have normal lag occurrences on the map but the majority of it when those players are offline happen when - someone enters a cave, someone goes into a boss fight, someone teleports multiple times to different locations.

likewise the lag is increased by the number of people entering a over populated area. Imagine a loaded area with 8 super bases packed with dinos in it and 40 players, this will cause more server lag then multiple load areas with smaller bases and 40 people across the server.   Our server usually averages 20 people tops during the week but he have hit 30+ people during the weekened, and sadly many of the extra people coming to the server are chinese farmers there to either farm bosses, or farm the metal off the island with multiple tribe members hitting all the key metal points.  When this happens the lag becomes horrible on the server.

luckly my large base is off the mainland on herbivore island, and rarely gets rendered in as most people don't go there, if it were on the mainland, it would most likely consist of only the tower, and a large fenced area.

hello, I have a base on island 44 ... rent 70/35 ... and I can tell you that I met the limit of structures in my lower floors ... if I break a wall I can not anymore the replaced one:) ... if you have a moment come to discover my museum dedicated to ARK ... three stage while taking the staircase + an extension of the museum by taking the footbridge in the museum ... cya

3 hours ago, Zapha said:

And you do not care about the horrible lag such massive bases create?

With the new structure optimizations the structures arent too much the problem. Youll notice your running lag (the lag you have in the base - not the actual first rendering in of the base) is mostly caused by dinos, particle effects and lights. If you paint anything you now have to render the tiles 2x. If you have 2000 pieces in your base, painted the game loads the first 2000 base pieces then them again with the paint overlay. Dont paint if you are worried about base lag. Once a painted piece you cant undo it besides demoing and replacing. Even if you paint it back stock colour

Tek Gen's, lights, Glass, all the visual / particle effects from these will be a huge culprit. Dino animations and physics is another huge piece. Of course its all situational to your size of base. Some bases are just huge lagg monsters if not built with that in mind.

Once u hit the limit,  the extra stuff will just disappear  in 12 hrs because it’s no longer tied to the structure.   And what blanks because of it I can’t tell you,  it wasn’t the last stuff I set down that blanked while I was offline though.

but I don’t think it’s completely the end of it,  if you rebuild what blanks and tie all that together on its own,  then run the sections back together.  So far what I rebuilt hasn’t blanked. 

7 hours ago, caleb68 said:

we actually have very little lag at our base, ....

You, but others?

How fast a client computer can load your massive base is also dependant from the quality of the client computer. Those with average or low quality computers suffer much more than those with high-end gaming rigs.

Since the changes in kibbles and cryo-tec it's no longer necessary to build huge bases. Basically only the space for the crafting machines is needed.

1 hour ago, Zapha said:

You, but others?

How fast a client computer can load your massive base is also dependant from the quality of the client computer. Those with average or low quality computers suffer much more than those with high-end gaming rigs.

Since the changes in kibbles and cryo-tec it's no longer necessary to build huge bases. Basically only the space for the crafting machines is needed.

my pc is 8 years old, and currently running on a substandard video card that barely meets the 'minimal' recommendations.  If people are playing ark on newer pc's with higher end video cards, and they are doing worse then me, I think they shouldn't of bought a walmart special and think that it could play games.

Archived