Disappointed

Cole281011

Disappointed

The graphics just look atrocious and are outdone by my iPad Air 2! Maybe I am missing something but why should I pay a 80$ game (nz money) and be rewarded with a game where if a dodo is 5 feet away I have squint to make it out. Please fix this! You abandoned all the players who paid for the game on the switch and gave them a patch that made everything look worse. Add a patch to optimise this! You know that when my normal ipad outdoes my gaming console something is wrong not to mention that mobile is free too. 
Please don’t leave us in the dust Wildcard

A loyal fan 

Yeah, Wild Card robbed us! The game looks like a beta test, it’s overrun with glitches and bugs, and some people can’t even progress in the game because the servers don’t work! Worse yet, while they’re dishing out cool new content exclusively for pc, Xbox, and PS4, we’re stuck hoping they even remember to patch up basic functions in the game. I would literally pay someone outside of Wildcard to fix this game because obviously Wild Card doesn’t care about us and just wanted our money. 

Functionally I have not had a huge problem with ARK on the Switch.  Things work as well as on PC ARK, which is considered to be the most up-to-date version of ARK.  I haven't found one bug that really stands out as unique on Switch ARK, and yes the load times could use some work, but it works as far as I can tell.  I've kibble and non-kibble tamed dinos, bred dinos, and have a full base setup.  I've traded stuff too, on server, with another player, and ran caves for loot.  It crashes no more or less than the PC version does.

It's just that WC, to my knowledge, isn't allowing Abstraction Games to develop it further.  Switch ARK doesn't even have the Homestead update, which is both good and bad.  The old kibble tree gives a sense of direction in taming and progressing that way, but the extra building pieces would be nice.  And the update to correctly tier Greenhouse Glass parts would be great too, because right now they have 4 day timer and 100HP.

Disappointed

Back in January my dad took me to buy a new game for my Nintendo switch at first when I saw ark I looked right over it but then when my dad pointed it out and said look there's dinosaurs I got excited  and  bought the game without doing research (I regret it) I played that game all day It brought me so much joy and helped me through hard times it made me open up to the people around me I had a great tribe and many alliances but one night I was speaking with one of my allies and he said something about ark being on the xbox ps4 and PC so I did some research and saw that ark for the switch was basically just a money grab and I had wasted 40 dollars on a game demo pretty much I would check to see every day if there would be an update soon but all I would see was when the last update was (December) it was around late August when I started to give up on getting an update the servers began to run dry but I still tried to stay positive here I am in October thinking about quitting the one thing that helped me through one of the toughest times in my life it's such a shame the graphics aren't even decent it damaged my eyes pretty badly and I have to wear glasses now I did this all for a stupid dinosaur game that I wasted my life on it took my money my time and even my happiness I'm back to the painful state I was in before but it is worst I have tried to auit multiple times but I get dragged back in because I feel like there might be an update soon I loved this game with all my heart I would play it non stop even on school nights I sit in my bed and lower the brightness on my switch and play ark all night I'm extremely devastated  that the game I wasted over two thousand  hours on was nothing but a dirty scam with horrible graphics and unpatched glitches I can't believe I threw away so much time for a terrible port of a game that I could have bout on any other console and had a better experience I am going to keep my copy of the game only to see it will update I have been so emotionally attached to this game for so long even if I do end up leVing I have nothing to do this game was my everything but I guess it was just a waste of my time and money after all I doubt WildCard even cares about making games people enjoy they clearly only care about the money WildCard seems to be just another group of grimy little good for nothing gold diggers

And that’s the stone cold truth. The graphics are shoddy and if it damaged your eyes that badly, I consider myself lucky because my eye sight is terrible as it is. I’m with you. I didn’t do as much research because just the concept of playing with dinosaurs was thrilling. I should’ve done more research and saw what a waste of space excuse of a company Wildcard is. I haven’t even been playing that long! Your story makes this even worse. To dedicate so much time and joy to something, only for that to get destroyed because a company cares more about how much money they can milk out of us instead of performance. I hope Wildcard sees your post and grows a damn conscience and maybe some common sense.

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair, I suspect even the people that did research were sort of blindsided. I knew going in that the PC, PS4, XBOX, and even mobile platforms would be miles ahead of the Switch at first and it would take time for the platform to catch up with the others. Nearly all new platforms had some growing pains at first, but seeing that they all had caught up eventually meant that I never questioned whether the Switch version would do the same. It may have been a long, rocky road, but they got there. I had even seen some speculation about the DLC being added in 2019 before I made my purchase, which was early enough to miss many of the reviews. Even then, it was my first Ark game and one of my first Switch games so I was open to giving it a chance. When I later went back to them, most of the reviews focused on the graphics and, for me, that was not the problem. Yes, they were not great, but I considered them playable enough. I was even generally unbothered by the bugs. However, the complete lack of support, news, updates, and inclusion of the Switch port is unacceptable and incredibly disappointing.

When all the reviews were in and the radio silence began, the conclusion of Ark for Switch being a quick cash grab was clear. Before, though, I am not sure, no matter how much research you did, if it would have suggested anything quite like what we got. Especially so if you wanted the game anywhere close to its release.

On 10/14/2019 at 5:16 PM, MattBil2003 said:

if you loved the game enough to spend 2000 hours on it then whys it sooo bad?

I am assuming because it would be next to impossible to get another enjoyable 2000 hours out of it. Might 2000 hours be worth the $40? Maybe, but I believe the conversation is more centered on the disappointment over what both could and should have been in regards to the Switch port. It is objectively inferior to the other ports and lacking major content from the DLCs, as well as regular updates and event inclusion. Further, I suspect ArloAlpine prefers a multiplayer experience from what little I gleaned from the initial post and for some people Ark is an MMO sort of game. People like that need regular companions to play with and I am sure the Switch port has seen many players either purchase another version or quit Ark altogether, myself included, and that dries up the pool of potential companions.

Personally, I grade games on replay value more than necessarily ongoing campaign hours and in that regard Ark for Switch does not hold up for me. The Island is fine as a base Ark experience, I still play on that map occasionally, but without the other content in addition to regular updates and support there is simply nothing to go back to that I could not have better somewhere else. Better being another port or another game altogether. The Switch port was supposed to be the portable Ark and what we got was an unsupported portable version of the Island map of Ark. Playable and even enjoyable or not, it simply does not compare nor compete with the full Ark experience and other alternative games.

Perhaps there are other reasons ArloAlpine feels this way that I am missing, it is hard to tell, but personally this is more than enough.

22 hours ago, Coachbrian said:

I got a credit from nintendo to refund my physical purchase from gamestop. Be polite and be persistent, nintendo knows this is a bad game and will help you out. 

I bought mine from the source, physical, how would I go about getting a credit. also did you have to return the game to get a credit or did u get to keep it

10 hours ago, SwitchDLCpls said:

I bought mine from the source, physical, how would I go about getting a credit. also did you have to return the game to get a credit or did u get to keep it

Nintendo didn't care about my physical copy after the credit. Just call Nintendo and politely explain all of the bugs and lack of uodates/response from Wildcard. Nintendo will say they aren't responsible but they aporoved it to be sold for their system. Be persistent and definitely be polite. They'll tell you it is a one time credit but that isn't true either, I also got a credit on my physical purchase of PixArk. 

On 10/21/2019 at 9:24 PM, Coachbrian said:

Nintendo didn't care about my physical copy after the credit. Just call Nintendo and politely explain all of the bugs and lack of uodates/response from Wildcard. Nintendo will say they aren't responsible but they aporoved it to be sold for their system. Be persistent and definitely be polite. They'll tell you it is a one time credit but that isn't true either, I also got a credit on my physical purchase of PixArk. 

So you are telling me that I just have to contact nintendo, ask for a refund, and I still get to keep the game?? I mean honestly my only beef with the game is the lack of dlc, but if I can keep the game and still get 60 dollars Canadian credit, I will definitely do that

On October 5, 2019 at 11:12 AM, Spinosaur said:

I want my money back. I’d say we should start a petition for them to fix the game but let’s be honest, Wildcard wouldn’t even give us a glance if we did. 

Instead of starting a petition against Wildcard, you should start a petition for Nintendo to take action to get Wildcard to fix the game. WC wouldn't be able to ignore a giant like Nintendo.

On 10/25/2019 at 6:39 AM, WafflePancake said:

Instead of starting a petition against Wildcard, you should start a petition for Nintendo to take action to get Wildcard to fix the game. WC wouldn't be able to ignore a giant like Nintendo.

Genius! But there would need to be a lot of signatures. Do you think there would be enough to rally for support?

31 minutes ago, Spinosaur said:

Genius! But there would need to be a lot of signatures. Do you think there would be enough to rally for support?

Unfortunately not, and that is what would kill it.  1000 or 2000 (which feels like a high estimate) signatures on a petition wouldn't really matter to them I think.  I could be wrong, but many sensible petitions are totally ignored with far, far, far more signatures than that.

13 hours ago, TheDonn said:

Unfortunately not, and that is what would kill it.  1000 or 2000 (which feels like a high estimate) signatures on a petition wouldn't really matter to them I think.  I could be wrong, but many sensible petitions are totally ignored with far, far, far more signatures than that.

Nintendo has too many responsibilities at this time anyway, with newer, bigger titles getting releases. Besides, I don’t think anyone would care about a group demanding better graphics and dlc for a game. It sucks.

29 minutes ago, Spinosaur said:

Nintendo has too many responsibilities at this time anyway, with newer, bigger titles getting releases. Besides, I don’t think anyone would care about a group demanding better graphics and dlc for a game. It sucks.

I'm sure people from other platforms who play the game would understand your plight and sign up. I know I would.

And I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't turn a complete blind eye to the petition. If done in the  right way, it might at least get them to be like "Wildcard, what the eff, man?" At least Nintendo of America anyway.

There are plenty of websites you can go to to kickstart petitions, you just need to choose the best one.

Archived