Server wipes

Scrufy101

Official servers (talking about legacy official) get deleted from time to time, usually because of low population or traffic. Mostly it happens when they need new servers for new maps, and they give you announcement about migration - moving your stuff to another server thats not on the kill list.

On the other hand some official servers have low population too. Maybe it wouldnt be bad to move them to "legacy" section and kill them off later.

The only monthly wiped servers are arkpocalypse I think, never tried them before so cant really tell how they work.

5 hours ago, Scrufy101 said:

Server wipes

Hi so I have a question do official servers wipe? And if so how often and also will it give warnings before the wipe? Thank you!!

No most ark servers sit unwiped until their decrepit husks no longer support any player life at all and then their rotten corpses are just thrown into the incinerator and forgotten about. 

I have always found it kind of strange and silly that most servers just never wipe, not in the conventional way that most games like rust or other survival MMO's tend to work. I think this stems from players pushing back and not wanting to lose their "progress" people essentially turn servers into another home and will try to establish themselves and setup on one and stay there progressing until the end of time, unless they get raided and wiped.

Now it is true that the nature of how ark plays does tend to lean heavily on linear progression based play, when it comes to breeding, boss running, tech accumulation and even just getting a character up to max level, it all is a step based process of progression. So because of this the idea of having to essentially start again on regularly wiped servers is something many ark players have nightmares about. Some people have been breeding tames for years just to get perfect stats on them, so you can imagine they wouldnt be happy about their server getting wiped.

Personally I much prefer the monthly wipe style of managing survival games. This is why the arkpocalypse servers mentioned above are my favourite by far, they are also some of the most popular servers in the game, usually maintaining maxed out player numbers at the beginning of a wipe and tapering off towards the end only to shoot back up on the next wipe. I dont know call me weird but I prefer everyone having the same opportunity to start on an even playing field, a month is also sufficient time to achieve most of the things this game has to offer without getting deep into things like perfect breeding lines and creating max level characters. You will find that people who are already established on servers are the main proponents against regular wipes but hey let them have their fun in the sun. That is the cool thing about ark, you have options in terms of the game and server type that you prefer. If you don't like the idea that a server you log onto for the first time may have some guy who has been farming an army of wyverns for 3 years and can literally now wipe you into oblivion without hardly lifting a finger, then arpocalypse is for you :). However if you are looking to be that guy who has farmed an army of wyverins for 3 years then most other server types allow for this.

Me personally if it ever got to a point where pvp was no longer a challenge and that i literally could wipe anyone I wanted with minimal effort, I would get bored AF, some people are into that and power to them, but for me no challenge = no fun. So yeah try some server types out see how you like them and go from there :).

Something you will notice is that server transfer is a big thing in this game, you are able to transfer everything from dino's items resources and even characters between servers. This however is limited to server clusters. So example you have a character on a small tribe server, you can transfer that char to another small tribes server if you wanted to, but not to say an arkpocalypse server, and visa versa. You can only transfer between servers on that particular cluster ( in other words between servers of the same type)

I hope that helps :) 

12 hours ago, HoboNation said:

No most ark servers sit unwiped until their decrepit husks no longer support any player life at all and then their rotten corpses are just thrown into the incinerator and forgotten about. 

I have always found it kind of strange and silly that most servers just never wipe, not in the conventional way that most games like rust or other survival MMO's tend to work. I think this stems from players pushing back and not wanting to lose their "progress" people essentially turn servers into another home and will try to establish themselves and setup on one and stay there progressing until the end of time, unless they get raided and wiped.

Now it is true that the nature of how ark plays does tend to lean heavily on linear progression based play, when it comes to breeding, boss running, tech accumulation and even just getting a character up to max level, it all is a step based process of progression. So because of this the idea of having to essentially start again on regularly wiped servers is something many ark players have nightmares about. Some people have been breeding tames for years just to get perfect stats on them, so you can imagine they wouldnt be happy about their server getting wiped.

Personally I much prefer the monthly wipe style of managing survival games. This is why the arkpocalypse servers mentioned above are my favourite by far, they are also some of the most popular servers in the game, usually maintaining maxed out player numbers at the beginning of a wipe and tapering off towards the end only to shoot back up on the next wipe. I dont know call me weird but I prefer everyone having the same opportunity to start on an even playing field, a month is also sufficient time to achieve most of the things this game has to offer without getting deep into things like perfect breeding lines and creating max level characters. You will find that people who are already established on servers are the main proponents against regular wipes but hey let them have their fun in the sun. That is the cool thing about ark, you have options in terms of the game and server type that you prefer. If you don't like the idea that a server you log onto for the first time may have some guy who has been farming an army of wyverns for 3 years and can literally now wipe you into oblivion without hardly lifting a finger, then arpocalypse is for you :). However if you are looking to be that guy who has farmed an army of wyverins for 3 years then most other server types allow for this.

Me personally if it ever got to a point where pvp was no longer a challenge and that i literally could wipe anyone I wanted with minimal effort, I would get bored AF, some people are into that and power to them, but for me no challenge = no fun. So yeah try some server types out see how you like them and go from there :).

Something you will notice is that server transfer is a big thing in this game, you are able to transfer everything from dino's items resources and even characters between servers. This however is limited to server clusters. So example you have a character on a small tribe server, you can transfer that char to another small tribes server if you wanted to, but not to say an arkpocalypse server, and visa versa. You can only transfer between servers on that particular cluster ( in other words between servers of the same type)

Wow you wrote alot thanks!

12 hours ago, HoboNation said:

You had an army of Wyvs that's hard to do

Archived