Server Type Versus Survivor Saves & A Weird Star Trek Phenomena

DeHammer

Server Type Versus Survivor Saves & A Weird Star Trek Phenomena

I'm playing on two private, hosted (dedicated) servers, which aren't clustered. One is running Ragnarok, and the other is running Valguero. I've noticed that when you upload some things, they are saved locally. However, I'd like to understand the relationship between survivor uploads, the related save files, and the server type. 

Here's why....

One day our tribe needed some to test uploading from Ragnarok and transfer to Valguero. I was the only one on Rag who could be the test dummy. I uploaded my lvl 105 survivor and transferred to Valguero, and it all worked fine. However, I didn't want to be on Valguiero and didn't want to spend the time trying to get back. So we simply rebooted both servers and restored a backup to the Rag server. Since Rag had gone back in time a bit, and I had never uploaded myself, everything went back to normal. 

Fast forward a month later and our tribe has replaced the Valguero map with The Island, with the plan that the tribe will start from scratch with all new survivors. I load in and create a new survivor. But when I go to spawn, a warning pops up. It tells me that if I continue my previous character will be deleted. I was then leery as I didn't know which character I might be deleting. So I went back and instead of  creating a new survivor, I decide to spawn with my old survivor, mainly just so I could see what character that was. Sure enough, it spawned my on Valuguero with my lvl 105 character from Raganarok. 

I guess what happened is... even though I rolled back the Ragnarok server and thus never left the Ragnarok map, on the other server (running Valguero at the time), my same character had still transferred across, and now exists on both maps at the same time, which is weird. Sounds like an episode of Star Trek where the transporter beam splits someone in two.

Problem though... if I opt to delete my previous survivor on the second server, will it also delete that same character for all servers? Or are both servers survivor files discrete and deleting one version of 'me' won't delete all versions? 

26 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Without any technical jargon.. No. You essentially duped your character.  You basically recreated the dupe glitch but with local saves. Youll be fine to delete the clone

Interesting. I guess by 'local' you mean local to each server. So a few other questions... does anyone know what's happening with save files in the background? That is, what's happening technically. 

Also, could the same process be used to create dupe blueprints, weapons, Dino's, etc that could then also be transferred back to their original server? Or are those 'saves' handled differently. I know uploaded Dino are generally stored locally on the player's system in the local profiles data file. But I'm guessing you could transfer a Dino to one server, then rollback both the first server and have the same Dino on two servers.

the server keeps seprate player data for the character on the server. 

You can end up with a character existing on the restored map if you didn't upload the character prior to doing the backup.  So on one of the two servers, your character is a older version of your 'most recently played' one.

The data that contains the individual character data on the server i believe is steamid.arkprofile (not at my game pc so can't look)

we had a similar thing happen on one of our servers, after clearing the excess player data from the restored server, we were able to transfer the characters across without a glitch, and no duped characters.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:43 PM, DeHammer said:

I'm playing on two private, hosted (dedicated) servers, which aren't clustered. One is running Ragnarok, and the other is running Valguero. I've noticed that when you upload some things, they are saved locally. However, I'd like to understand the relationship between survivor uploads, the related save files, and the server type. 

Here's why....

One day our tribe needed some to test uploading from Ragnarok and transfer to Valguero. I was the only one on Rag who could be the test dummy. I uploaded my lvl 105 survivor and transferred to Valguero, and it all worked fine. However, I didn't want to be on Valguiero and didn't want to spend the time trying to get back. So we simply rebooted both servers and restored a backup to the Rag server. Since Rag had gone back in time a bit, and I had never uploaded myself, everything went back to normal.

Now I have a question for you, if those two servers are not in a cluster, how are you transferring anything to Valguero? Pretty much the whole point of a cluster is to allow you to transfer survivors, dinos & materials between the servers. If servers are not in a cluster, there is no way for the game to know how to transfer anything between them. Are you guys FTP'ing files back and forth between the two servers, are both of the dedicated servers running on the same physical host machine or... something else?

It sounds like you guys are doing things the hard way unless these two dedicated servers are in different physical locations.

On 10/1/2019 at 6:26 PM, DeHammer said:

Interesting. I guess by 'local' you mean local to each server. So a few other questions... does anyone know what's happening with save files in the background? That is, what's happening technically. 

Also, could the same process be used to create dupe blueprints, weapons, Dino's, etc that could then also be transferred back to their original server? Or are those 'saves' handled differently. I know uploaded Dino are generally stored locally on the player's system in the local profiles data file. But I'm guessing you could transfer a Dino to one server, then rollback both the first server and have the same Dino on two servers.

The question of what's happening with the save files in the background depends on how your two servers are configured, which is what lead to my question above.

But for your latest question, yes, you could use the rollback method to dupe things between the two servers.

On 10/3/2019 at 9:02 PM, Pipinghot said:

If servers are not in a cluster, there is no way for the game to know how to transfer anything between them.

No, not true. Servers do not need to be clustered to upload from one server and download onto another running a different map. In fact, we did cluster our servers for a brief period,  but after realizing it had no real impact on server transfers, we opted to de-cluster again.

In fact, you can even upload stuff from a hosted (dedicated server) and download it to your own local non-dedicated server session.

4 hours ago, DeHammer said:

No, not true. Servers do not need to be clustered to upload from one server and download onto another running a different map. In fact, we did cluster our servers for a brief period,  but after realizing it had no real impact on server transfers, we opted to de-cluster again.

In fact, you can even upload stuff from a hosted (dedicated server) and download it to your own local non-dedicated server session.

very true, the only servers i've ran into that have locked clusters is just the official servers.  Non-Official i have yet to find one server I couldn't take my dino's from and transfer them to another that had downloads enabled,  likewise I could take single player dino's into the unofficial servers that met with the level limits of those servers.

If downloads are disabled, no one can bring any dino in, likewise if uploads are disabled on the server no one can transfer any dino's out.  But far as transfers go, that the only thing i've ran across far as dino transfers go.

4 hours ago, DeHammer said:

Whoops, my mistake. I forgot that we use the "PreventDownload" and "PreventUpload" on our cluster so that nothing can be transferred into or out of our cluster.

17 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Whoops, my mistake. I forgot that we use the "PreventDownload" and "PreventUpload" on our cluster so that nothing can be transferred into or out of our cluster.

We've since done the same with one of our two servers, just the other day, so we could run a more conservative 'survival' game of Ark on 'The Island' map. It's kind of refreshing to go back to the basics, grinding everything out the hard way with no mods and no transferred items or dinos. Just tamed a lvl 150 ptera and its cool because that's a big deal again. I'm protecting it with my life.

Archived