Top 3 Creatures you Hate to tame

RipRavage

Top 3 Creatures you Hate to tame

I was just curious as to which creatures you guys hate to tame in ARK.

My top 3 are

1. Basilisks - Getting a perfect tame on these stupid things is such a pain in the ass because of how they aggro on everything in the areas they spawn in and the fact that they lose taming effectiveness when they burrow in the ground.  I hate most passive taming in this game since its all bugged for the most part with creatures aggroing on any structures you try to trap them in, but Basilisks are hands down the worst.

2. Rock Golems - Pretty much any tame that requires you to KO it with cannons or catapults could go in this spot, but man it's really stupid how doing a little extra damage from the explosion range can completely screw taming effectiveness on any of those creatures.

3. Megalania - These things have a ridiculously low torpor timer of 2 minutes on top of the fact that unlike gigas they have an extremely low torpor pool, meaning you will have to stand on top of these things for the whole 2 and half hours while you are taming them.  Did I forget to mention that they only spawned in caves before the release of Ragnarok.  The devs were extra sadistic for these things.  The worst part of the whole thing is that Megalania really suck other than the novelty of having a really squishy rock drake stand in.

Honorable Mention goes to the Phoenix, which I'm pretty sure is has broken taming, I've chased one for over an hour blasting it with a fire wyvern and the stupid thing had less than 10 percent tame bar filled.

So which tames drive you nuts?

1. Giga - one slipup, and your gone in a gulp.
2. Daedon - have you tried taming a lvl 150 Daedon? just a pain in the....
3. Theri - Same as Daedon, pain in the ... for the taming process.

51 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

1. Basilisks

tip - tame a shoulder pet,  find a nice quiet spot,  toss shoulder pet,  drop a foundation on top of it.  Toss down a rockdrake egg on top of the foundation.  lure basilisk to foundation.    It'll focus on the shoulder pet, and the shoulder pet will be safe under the foundation.  So the basilisk will continue to attempt to attack the shoulder pet, and you can sit on your dino tossing eggs out to the basilisk.

2 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

1. Giga - one slipup, and your gone in a gulp.
2. Daedon - have you tried taming a lvl 150 Daedon? just a pain in the....
3. Theri - Same as Daedon, pain in the ... for the taming process.

tip - tame a shoulder pet,  find a nice quiet spot,  toss shoulder pet,  drop a foundation on top of it.  Toss down a rockdrake egg on top of the foundation.  lure basilisk to foundation.    It'll focus on the shoulder pet, and the shoulder pet will be safe under the foundation.  So the basilisk will continue to attempt to attack the shoulder pet, and you can sit on your dino tossing eggs out to the basilisk.

I'll give that a try with the shoulder pet, thanks for the tip, I tried a similar trick with a corpse and a foundation but i just couldn't get it to aggro on the foundation.

I think gigas are one of the smoothest tames in the game since once you get them trapped with metal gateways and KO them its one simple spam of 10000 narcotics and then you just sit and wait for them to tame up.  Granted when the giga just ignores the bear trap or goes around the gateway trap, bad times begin.

Equus- I always seem to miss the prompt (on console) and get bucked. Really irritates me because I use to ace those CJ dancing games in San Andreas and this is a slower version. Then you get run into who knows what without any control (hello Giga) and if everything is going perfect it can still run off a cliff and get hit with fall damage that you can't control or it can blip out of existence if it gets stuck on a rock.

Angler Fish- More of an issue before getting a good crossbow (and pre Ab and Valguero easy rifle tames). Their hp to torpor ratio is so close. No idea how many 145 or 150's I killed.

Tie for Yuty and Megatherium- This is based on not having a trap. Once these guys start running, they are incredibly glitchy. I miss so many shots from their sporadic movements and if they hit a rock, they launch forever.

Mostly hate unreliable taming mechanics. Instead of following clear instructions "do A, B, then C" it is more like a series of dice rolls.

1 troodon

Will randomly stop attacking and try to run away without noticeable changes in the world. Ignores flowers and pheromones. Bugged food stat, not being a shoulder pet and no real application in pve makes it completely useless in this mode.

2 titanboa

Has serious anger management issues - will start to attack walls and lose TA. You can't check how hungry it is, so it's a constant guess work.

3 theri

Takes too long with very fast torpor loss. You can spend same time farming metal and buy result of few years of breeding and mutation stacking.

Theres one creature thats screams dont tame me at me. Troodon, but I have selected 2 more basically at random.

1. Troodon. Only time I nearly rage quit and lost my temper was taming those little devils. Never again, and certainly not worth the effort.

2. Equus. To be fair if you trap them it isnt too bad. But out in the open they range to far and wide and potentially into danger. Trying to even mount them and not getting a twitchy finger with the feeding prompts.

3.Rock Golem/Karkinos. Slapped both together as I hate the taming method. Was never good with that.

Well, not gonna lie the animals I really hate taming I just don't tame unless I absolutely need them for something lol. So I've never and don't ever intend to tame a troodon, for example. So my top 3 animals I actively look for and still hate taming are:

Icthyornis - these things suck wild, but are one of the best early game tames you can get when you're still beach bobbing it. Any time I start a new character I make sure I grab one as soon as possible.

Yutys - so spazzy and almost impossible without a taming pen, assuming you can get one to live long enough to chase you into the pen.

Bears - this might be a bit of an odd choice, but I think most unofficial/S+ players understand why. When you're first setting up your S+ set of items, you can craft a domesticated beehive. This is one of the best S+ items imo, as it both irrigates your crops and produces the honey you need to fuel your nanny until you get to Tek tier. The catch is that you need 50 honey to craft one. The easiest way to get that honey is of course, with a bear. But for all their power bears are fragile and roam one of the most dangerous areas of the map. So you have to carefully KO one, either in a pen or put a ton of spikes around it because a marauding terror bird or surprise carno will likely finish it off in 1-2 bites. Then once it's up, if you don't have cryopods you need to walk it home and in my experience there's about a 50% chance it will die on the way, especially if you have to cross a river. And since I usually end up with a theri for flower/shroom/fiber harvesting, after I get my hive crafted the bear sits in base with no further purpose. It's an awful lot of effort for essentially a one time use tame.

I know bears are quite popular tames, but I find taming them so frustrating that I rarely bother getting more than the single one I need to get my hive up.

2 hours ago, Cymas said:

I know bears are quite popular tames, but I find taming them so frustrating that I rarely bother getting more than the single one I need to get my hive up.

I used to hate taming bears because I would have to use darts and a rifle, but I feel like extinction really changed the game with the snow owl.  Being able to heal Dinos as you are KOing then is such a blessing.  That and you can heal a Dino if you accidentally hit it during the tame without spam feeding it.  Now if only Daedons healing was like the owls.

@RipRavage I know, I have Extinction and have had snow owls. I'm currently playing through the maps in single player in story progression order, so I won't have any for a long, long time. But even on servers that's legit all I use bears for, getting honey for my first hive. After that I don't even bother replacing mine if it dies. I actually do want to start a line of them for reasons, but every time I think about the amount of effort involved I just go nope lol. If I was on a server I'd just buy the one I want and be done with it.

5 minutes ago, DomiDarko said:

Finally somebody mentioned these things! I tried to tame them once and failed. Then I spawned some in but they were killed within 2-3 minutes.

For me:

1. Electrophorus

2. Troodon

3. Yutyrannus

Easy eel taming go to abb in the underwater cave you’ll find a lot of them in shallow water and can’t move just walk up to them stand there feeding them tamed 4 lastnight like this didn’t get shocked or anything like that 

Just now, Markdh31788 said:

Easy eel taming go to abb in the underwater cave you’ll find a lot of them in shallow water and can’t move just walk up to them stand there feeding them tamed 4 lastnight like this didn’t get shocked or anything like that 

Valguero has an even easier spot near the north east abberation zone entrance, there is water that is super shallow that spawns anglers and eels that can barely move since it is super shallow.

24 minutes ago, Rintrahhh said:

The only thing I tried and failed taming was a Dung Beetle. That was a long time ago though and I haven't tried since because I don't really need one.

dung beetles, along with smaller passive tames are easy to tame, you just stand in front of them so they can't walk off, as they turn you adjust your position on them.  this keeps them from wondering about on you.  I've even done this with the aberration shoulder pets. The owls are a better source for fertilizer, expecially if you have a gacha to go with it, let the gacha pick up the pellets, grab a few out of the gacha and shove them into your planter plots.

Archived