Jump to content

Scrufy101

What is Poppcorning

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Scrufy101 said:

What is Poppcorning

I have heard from other people this thing called Poppcorning. Apparently you can get banned for it on some servers. Please can someone tell me what is it. Thanks!

It's when you throw out your loot onto the ground in order to deny it to the enemy or your own tribe (if insiding). It's a very legit and valid tactic and completely legal on all Official servers.

I highly recommend doing it if given the chance. Most of the times your base will be raided when your not online but if you are online and theres 30 people outside your little base then you've obviously already lost so why give them free loot. Better to adopt a scorched earth policy and deny them everything. Despawn everything you can before they break through to your loot vaults. Then kill yourself so you don't get captured.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HoboNation said:

To get around this I build intentionally hard to raid empty bases for raiders to waste time on, that way it is the same result in that they get nothing once they get in but there was no poppcorning involved as the base was always empty :P

According to my back-of-a-barmat calculations, 3195 metal ingots and 666 cementing paste gives you a 3x3 box with full internal ceilings and walls - Satan's Rubix Cube.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ForzaProiettile said:

It's when you throw out your loot onto the ground in order to deny it to the enemy or your own tribe (if insiding). It's a very legit and valid tactic and completely legal on all Official servers.

I highly recommend doing it if given the chance. Most of the times your base will be raided when your not online but if you are online and theres 30 people outside your little base then you've obviously already lost so why give them free loot. Better to adopt a scorched earth policy and deny them everything. Despawn everything you can before they break through to your loot vaults. Then kill yourself so you don't get captured.

This is clearly an exploit and unintended gameplay.  Also you're a bad person.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Spiral3 said:

This is clearly an exploit and unintended gameplay.  Also you're a bad person.

Show your work.

Destroying equipment to deny it to the enemy is a quite common war time practice.

In the military we had white phosphorus grenades for our comm equipment for exactly this purpose.

Drones have self destruct technology.

Why give your enemies equipment or insight into your capabilities?

WC may not have thought people may use this practice but nothing special needs to be done, it doesn't violate CoC so it can't be an exploit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Popcorning is for the unprepared.

I got hit by a Forest Titan a month ago while online.  By the time the Titan finished downloading, I already had some of my good stuff moved to a secret stash.  By the time they'd penetrated the first layer of my defenses, the only thing left in the base was flint and hide, plus some disposable dinos.  They were stopped short of the main building anyway, so I was able to just move stuff back in that evening instead of losing it all.

Edited by SMP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My question is, why wouldn't you popcorn everything you could?  If you know its over, you're supposed to walk out and into handcuffs/cage and let your work fill the raider's coffers?  No way.  If I've learned anything from reading PvP rants and watching videos, mostly it is about making it not worth a raider's time.  If you are at the stage where you have to popcorn, they are fairly invested in raiding you and it likely won't make a difference in what they kill or wipe.  But at least, as your final offensive move, you can ensure they spend far, far, far more than they get from your base.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

My question is, why wouldn't you popcorn everything you could?  If you know its over, you're supposed to walk out and into handcuffs/cage and let your work fill the raider's coffers?  No way.  If I've learned anything from reading PvP rants and watching videos, mostly it is about making it not worth a raider's time.  If you are at the stage where you have to popcorn, they are fairly invested in raiding you and it likely won't make a difference in what they kill or wipe.  But at least, as your final offensive move, you can ensure they spend far, far, far more than they get from your base.

Exactly it makes no logical sense to sit there and be nice to the enemy. This notion of being gentlemanly or honourable to your enemies doesn't work out well in PVP. If you can't take it with you burn it all and suicide.

I've had raids were it has definitely ended up costing the raiders more in materials in terms of explosives then what they got out of my small base. This is due to my base design, them dieing to me a bunch of times and losing their bombs and me then dumping everything before they finally breached the last wall. Nothing makes me chuckle more then the thought of the enemy putting c4 on empty vaults, setting it off, then the smoke clears and there is a bag there. Ooh what's in here? 100 hide.. 😂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

It's when you throw out your loot onto the ground in order to deny it to the enemy or your own tribe (if insiding). It's a very legit and valid tactic and completely legal on all Official servers.

I highly recommend doing it if given the chance. Most of the times your base will be raided when your not online but if you are online and theres 30 people outside your little base then you've obviously already lost so why give them free loot. Better to adopt a scorched earth policy and deny them everything. Despawn everything you can before they break through to your loot vaults. Then kill yourself so you don't get captured.

This is PVP BIBLE... 

preach ... !!! 🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despawning may be the smart thing to do, but its not going to make you very popular.  That stuff followed me around on a RUST server for a few years after I did it to a zerg trying to bust down my tower.  Those dudes would make it top priority to find me every wipe and remind me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RipRavage said:

Despawning may be the smart thing to do, but its not going to make you very popular.  That stuff followed me around on a RUST server for a few years after I did it to a zerg trying to bust down my tower.  Those dudes would make it top priority to find me every wipe and remind me.

PVP isn't a popularity contest. If you are popular then it means you aren't killing enough people. If you are hated that means you are doing well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Scrufy101 said:

Honestly i would rather be friends with other players then have lots of look but be hated.

I didn't played on unofficial servers, maybe it's possible there to raid each other and still be friends and have a laugh about it, but on official pvp it's all about who can be bigger jerk to others. There is close to zero chance you will be friends with other players with or without despawning your stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Baklap said:

And then people are complaining about getting offline raided... i wonder why.

Yeah.  Not to play Devil's Advocate for offline'ing people, but at least that way you ensure access to spoils?  Offline raiding is so common though, it's not even worth trying to justify or validate why people do it.  Just have to accept that if the server isn't ORP'ed you will most certainly be offline'd I guess.  Doesn't make it easier to log into a red tribelog.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean while plenty of people are talking about poppcorning being bad etiquette, 9 times out of 10 raiders who have gotten into a base will end up poppcorning all the loot they don't want, I see it all the time, they get in they take what they want and then popcorn what they can't carry or what they don't want. Heck I have seen raiders take nothing at all but still popcorn everything just to set back the person they raided. Yet no one is saying that's bad etiquette.

Fact of the matter is it is going to happen, whether it be a defender trying to make sure the raiders don't get any profit from a raid or whether it be a raider making sire the defenders can't recover as easily. Personally the only time I popcorn loot is if someone has made an enemy of me, either through insults or their behavior. Otherwise I much prefer only taking what I deem as worth while and leaving the stuff I don't want. Either it allows that tribe to recover which in turn means more potential future profits if you end up raiding them again, or some beach bobs who are running past might find good use of the scraps you leave behind. One mans trash is another mans treasure, many times I have run past raided bases to find goodies left inside that really jumpkick my start on a server, so when I raid people I pay it forward and leave behind what I dont need. 

Sure I get why people popcorn after a raid, the whole "strategic weakening of the competition" mindset. It's the same thinking that causes alpha clans to search and destroy their server for any beach bobs and mercilessly wip them repeatedly so they can never get strong enough to contest them. Sure it could be argued it's just competitive play but i find it pretty anti-competitive and displays weakness, being so petrified of a challenge that you feel you need to keep everyone else as far back as possible kind of defeats the whole fun of this game. I much prefer having a challenge and being able to fight other tribes in a back and forth. Otherwise you may aswell be  playing on a dead PvE server because if everyone played to make sure no one else can make any progress then that is essentially what every server would devolve into, a dead server for only your tribe.... fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, HoboNation said:

times

 

32 minutes ago, HoboNation said:

I mean while plenty of people are talking about poppcorning being bad etiquette, 9 times out of 10 raiders who have gotten into a base will end up poppcorning all the loot they don't want, I see it all the time, they get in they take what they want and then popcorn what they can't carry or what they don't want. Heck I have seen raiders take nothing at all but still popcorn everything just to set back the person they raided. Yet no one is saying that's bad etiquette.

Fact of the matter is it is going to happen, whether it be a defender trying to make sure the raiders don't get any profit from a raid or whether it be a raider making sire the defenders can't recover as easily. Personally the only time I popcorn loot is if someone has made an enemy of me, either through insults or their behavior. Otherwise I much prefer only taking what I deem as worth while and leaving the stuff I don't want. Either it allows that tribe to recover which in turn means more potential future profits if you end up raiding them again, or some beach bobs who are running past might find good use of the scraps you leave behind. One mans trash is another mans treasure, many times I have run past raided bases to find goodies left inside that really jumpkick my start on a server, so when I raid people I pay it forward and leave behind what I dont need. 

Sure I get why people popcorn after a raid, the whole "strategic weakening of the competition" mindset. It's the same thinking that causes alpha clans to search and destroy their server for any beach bobs and mercilessly wip them repeatedly so they can never get strong enough to contest them. Sure it could be argued it's just competitive play but i find it pretty anti-competitive and displays weakness, being so petrified of a challenge that you feel you need to keep everyone else as far back as possible kind of defeats the whole fun of this game. I much prefer having a challenge and being able to fight other tribes in a back and forth. Otherwise you may aswell be  playing on a dead PvE server because if everyone played to make sure no one else can make any progress then that is essentially what every server would devolve into, a dead server for only your tribe.... fun. 

You really went into description thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, HoboNation said:

I mean while plenty of people are talking about poppcorning being bad etiquette, 9 times out of 10 raiders who have gotten into a base will end up poppcorning all the loot they don't want, I see it all the time, they get in they take what they want and then popcorn what they can't carry or what they don't want. Heck I have seen raiders take nothing at all but still popcorn everything just to set back the person they raided. Yet no one is saying that's bad etiquette.

Fact of the matter is it is going to happen, whether it be a defender trying to make sure the raiders don't get any profit from a raid or whether it be a raider making sire the defenders can't recover as easily. Personally the only time I popcorn loot is if someone has made an enemy of me, either through insults or their behavior. Otherwise I much prefer only taking what I deem as worth while and leaving the stuff I don't want. Either it allows that tribe to recover which in turn means more potential future profits if you end up raiding them again, or some beach bobs who are running past might find good use of the scraps you leave behind. One mans trash is another mans treasure, many times I have run past raided bases to find goodies left inside that really jumpkick my start on a server, so when I raid people I pay it forward and leave behind what I dont need. 

Sure I get why people popcorn after a raid, the whole "strategic weakening of the competition" mindset. It's the same thinking that causes alpha clans to search and destroy their server for any beach bobs and mercilessly wip them repeatedly so they can never get strong enough to contest them. Sure it could be argued it's just competitive play but i find it pretty anti-competitive and displays weakness, being so petrified of a challenge that you feel you need to keep everyone else as far back as possible kind of defeats the whole fun of this game. I much prefer having a challenge and being able to fight other tribes in a back and forth. Otherwise you may aswell be  playing on a dead PvE server because if everyone played to make sure no one else can make any progress then that is essentially what every server would devolve into, a dead server for only your tribe.... fun. 

On Official PVP its anything goes, these notions people create of gentlemanly behaviour just doesn't work in reality. Large tribes wipe random little tribes because there is a real risk that they are not just some humble beach bob but may be infiltrators settings up for a server invasion. It's one of my favourite tricks for when joining a 'fresh' server. You make out your loot storage tribe to be some gentle random noob tribe, really friendly and polite to everyone while your guerrillas are going around slaughtering at will.

You are right though about one man's trash being another man's treasure. On our new server where our guerrilla warriors have commenced operations, we came across a half destroyed large base yesterday. It was all raided, all the loot was mostly gone but whoever raided it was rather lazy. They left not only a chembench and a near dead industrial forge still standing but also the generator for them. It has been extremely useful in allowing us to farm up resources quickly on that server.

Edited by ForzaProiettile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

On Official PVP its anything goes, these notions people create of gentlemanly behaviour just doesn't work in reality. Large tribes wipe random little tribes because there is a real risk that they are not just some humble beach bob but may be infiltrators settings up for a server invasion. It's one of my favourite tricks for when joining a 'fresh' server. You make out your loot storage tribe to be some gentle random noob tribe, really friendly and polite to everyone while your guerrillas are going around slaughtering at will.

You are right though about one man's trash being another man's treasure. On our new server where our guerrilla warriors have commenced operations, we came across a half destroyed large base yesterday. It was all raided, all the loot was mostly gone but there whoever raided it was rather. They left not only a chembench and a near dead industrial forge still standing but also the generator for them. It has been extremely useful in allowing us to farm up resources quickly on that server.

This is why I foundation  wipe every raid lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...