PCI 2.0 16x Video Cards compatable with Ark?

caleb68

PCI 2.0 16x Video Cards compatable with Ark?

Well im not having a very good day today, hopped on ark to play abit, and about 10 minutes in pc locked up tighter then fort knox, so i rebooted, and got back on ark, wasn't the first time something like that happened so i didn't think much of it, as ark has done that a couple times before in the past (long time ago).  Hopped back on ark, started playing and... 10 minutes in... my screens went blank.... crap... gpu over heated i know it... yep... sure enough, one of the fans died and the video card shut down.

I can still browse the web and other basic things on the pc without the graphics card overheating, but can't play ark anymore :( my teammates refreshed everything for me on the maps so thats good, that gives me a few days. but...

Wondering if anyone can recommend some affordable PCI 2.0 16x cards for playing Ark on.   I found a couple gtx 960, 970, and 1050's that are compatable and not too high priced but I don't know what peoples experiences have been on those cards,  If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.  I'm a old bloke with limited 'play funds' anymore, so I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck within a  decent time frame so I can save my past years work on ark.

I do prefer Nvidia over Ati, expecially on a AMD processor, they seem to preform better.  My pc is a older one, and if i could i'd buy a new gaming rig but I just don't have the funds for that.

From what I was reading, the 3.0 cards work in 2.0 x16 slots with some bandwidth loss, least that's what information I've been able to find on it, and that some boards (mainly MSI) have problems and will not boot with a 3.0x16 card in a 2.0x16 slot.

here's a little info on my system, bare in mind its a older system but has been playing ark just fine for a very long time:

Motherboard Information:
   Manufacturer:  Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
   Model:  GA-990FXA-UD3
   Expansion Slots:
      PCI Express 2.0 x16  4 (x16, x16, x4, x4)
      PCI Express x1  2 x PCI Express x1
      PCI Slots  1 x PCI Slot

Processor Information:
    CPU Vendor:  AuthenticAMD
    CPU Brand:  AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor           

Operating System Version:
    Windows 10 (64 bit)
    NTFS:  Supported
    Crypto Provider Codes:  Supported 311 0x0 0x0 0x0

Sound card:
    Audio device: Speakers (Realtek High Definition)

Memory:
    RAM:  32749 Mb

Miscellaneous:
    Total Hard Disk Space Available:  2983146 Mb
    Largest Free Hard Disk Block:  811454 Mb

Archived