A New Voting System

The voting system right now is not good. It is dare say bad. It is unpolished and needs to be worked on. Here are a few suggestions.

The Front Page

I propose we start off with the front page. I've noticed that all or most of the suggestions on the front page right now have been there since the beginning of the voting systems implementation. The same suggestions have just stuck up there at the top. This is why I request that a moderator (ehh possibly a bot) wipe the votes for all of the suggestions every few months (maybe 2 months?). By the way, not the suggestions, the votes. The reason I suggested this be done is because right now suggestions with the most votes appear on the front page, unlike before the voting system when the most recently updated posts appeared on the front page. I arguably like the old system better with the front page, as the new one basically doesn't let anyone get there pages to the front as of now, and I can see these pages right now probably staying up there for months to come. Users also barely switch from most votes over to recently updated in the suggestion forum, and this makes the new posts harder to get to the front. Thus the votes be wiped every few months.

Upvote and Downvoting

I believe the current voting system is far from accurate. Users are not able to downvote a suggestion, being only able to upvote. This simply means players who dont agree with the suggestion have to deal with it. With the inclusion of downvoting, the votes for suggestions could become far more accurate as users who do not agree with the suggestion are able to simply downvote it.

On the counter-argument that downvoting allows users to create tons of throwaway accounts to downvote with, users can, and have, been doing that with the upvoting system as well.

Early Birds Can't Vote

I believe users with the rank "Early Bird" should not be allowed to vote on suggestions, up or down. This would stop users from creating throwaway accounts to mess up voting. Putting a simple addition like this in place would help a ton to stop votes from being messed with.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe simple features like this would make the voting more accurate, more user friendly and make posts more easily accessible. If a moderator of the forums sees this post, I hope you take this into consideration if you ever decide to change the voting.

Sincerely,

jamescoolcrafter15

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A take at how Wildcard should fix up the Voting System for Game Suggestions

The Voting System right now is not that good. I wouldn't call it "bad", but it is unpolished for sure and needs to be worked on quite a bit. I'd love to post some ideas on there but as of right now I (and a lot of my friends) aren't really going to be active on there (and we used to really be) until it gets fixed. Below is some feedback I have for Wildcard and the moderators/admins on how the Voting System should be fixed. I think these new updates would not only be good for forum users wanting to create a suggestion, but even for Wildcard when they are trying to figure out what kind of content the community. Below is what I have. 

Also, yes I have made a post like this before, but that post has since died down and was created months ago. 

The Front Page

First I'll start off with the front page, because it's of course, the first thing all players will see when they go to look at the suggestions. I've noticed that all or nearly all suggestions on the front page right now have been there since the beginning of the voting systems implementation. For example, the top voted page on there right now, "Separate PvE and PvP balances", has been there since the beginning of the voting systems implementation. And this is the same for the rest of the posts on there. Once those first posts battled it out for the front page contenders, it left almost no room for any new suggestions. The same suggestions on the front page will most likely be there for a long, long time. Comes April and it'll be over a year. This is made worse by the fact that the page is set by default to "Most Votes". Almost nobody switches it to "Recently Updated", and this means new suggestions only get about 3 votes at the most. 

Now, do I suggest we just get rid of the votes and switch it back to "Recently Updated"? Not at all. What I suggest is a good way to fix this is also extremely simple. A moderator (or a bot) should wipe the votes every few months. This could maybe be 2 - 3 months? I'd much rather have a moderator do it instead of a bot with a pre-set timer, because if the posts don't get much votes in time, the moderator could keep them up for a little while extra. Wildcard, if you're reading this, it's fine if you use a bot, I don't really care that much. 

As a last note, this by no circumstances mean the POSTS and COMMENTS should be wiped! Only the VOTES should be wiped! Last time the posts were wiped to make way for the new changes, a lot of the suggestion community got really upset. 

Upvoting and Downvoting

Right now, posts can be upvoted. I really liked the addition of this, as it shows how many people want something in the game, but there is still something wrong with JUST upvoting.

It doesn't show how much people DON'T want the suggestion to be added.

That is why I suggest that there should be a downvoting feature added into the game. The downvoting feature would be a button just like upvoting. It would lower the vote by 1 if the vote has upvotes on it.

Also, if you're going to show how much people like something (positive numbers), even with downvoting, then you need to show how many more people don't (negative numbers). Votes should be able to go into the negatives to BETTER show how many people would not like something in the game.

Spam Voting and How to Fix it

An argument for why downvoting should not be added is that people can easily make spam accounts to downvote the suggestion. The problem is, the same can happen with upvoting and probably does sometimes happen even with the system in place right now. There are also simple fixes for this just like all of the others. Early-birds should not be able to vote. This may seem like a very simple addition, but in the long-run would be a tremendous help against spamming. This would mean that accounts would at least have to have spoken at least a bit in order to vote. Not only would this stop spam accounts from the same person, but it would also stop people who don't play ARK from voting. For example, what if I were to get my friend on to help vote with me, but they've never even played the game before and barely even know what it is? This would fix that.

If making early-birds not be able to vote doesn't work, another easy and simple addition would be to limit 1 vote per email address. 

Conclusion

Thank you for reading. And a big special thank you to Wildcard if you guys are reading this. I wouldn't really expect you to read some random dudes suggestion which probably won't get to popular, so it would mean a lot if you read this. I hope your team takes some of these suggestions into consideration and puts them into place. Not only are these suggestions extremely simple and would not really take much effort to add, but I do think they are pretty good. The suggestion system right now seems pretty unfinished and these would help it a lot. 

- jamescoolcrafter15

3 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

No, they can't.

It's pretty easy for us to identify duplicate/alt accounts.

Ok? So is there anything wrong with what I suggested? I don't really think it's a bad thing? And what about the rest of the suggestion? Did you read the whole thing? Will any of this be taken into consideration? 

You gave absolutely NO feedback at all apart from quoting part of what I was saying and saying it was wrong. Are you trying to argue with something I said? You're leaving out TONS of details. Also, I'm pretty sure that part of the post would still be HELPFUL and help STOP spam accounts EVEN MORE.

You obviously read it and got to that part, so how about put in more details then just "No, they can't" and "It's pretty easy for us to identify duplicate/alt accounts". What about the part about the front page and the part about downvoting? Mind explaining how it's "pretty easy"?

I'd also like to point out that the moderators once mistook my friends brothers account for an alt account of his and gave him a WARNING for it.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, jamescoolcrafter15 said:

Also, I'm pretty sure that part of the post would still be HELPFUL and help STOP spam accounts EVEN MORE.

Spam accounts don’t exist. That’s what I am trying to tell you. The fact that a friend of your brother’s uncle’s mom’s account was almost seemingly mistaken for an alt proves my point.

As for the rest of the post. The moderators don’t configure or alter the way the forum is set up. 

16 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Spam accounts don’t exist. That’s what I am trying to tell you. The fact that a friend of your brother’s uncle’s mom’s account was almost seemingly mistaken for an alt proves my point.

As for the rest of the post. The moderators don’t configure or alter the way the forum is set up. 

I did not say "uncle's mom's" that's just unprofessional and you are mocking me. And then who does work on the forums then? You still are leaving out soooooooooooo many details.

On 1/31/2020 at 11:29 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

So are you just going to ignore me and not reply now?

19 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I'm sorry, what exactly is it you want from me?

I already told you, seems like you're just going to ignore everything I say. First off, you mocked what I said, and that's really unproffessional.

I wanted details. I asked questions so what do you mean "what exactly is it you want from me?" when you're the one who failed to answer them and just left me on the hook.

Any feedback on how I could fix the spamming part? What about the rest of the suggestion? (What do you think of it? Anything I can improve on?) Will any of this be taken into consideration?

On 2/2/2020 at 9:40 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

I'm sorry, what exactly is it you want from me?

*asks what I want from you*

*I tell you what I want*

*continues to ignore me*

Feels like you just want to refuse to reply. I already asked the questions I feel you just don't want to reply now and I don't even know why. Maybe try being more reasonable and more nice and actually replying to my comments.

• 1 month later...

Will suggestion votes every be wiped?

As the title suggests, I'm wondering if the posts in the Suggestions area will ever be wiped of their votes. That board quickly had the front page filled up within a month, and the same posts have been there for nearly a year. Because of this, there is a near 0% chance for any new posts to get onto the front page (the page is automatically set to sort by votes). The new suggestions forum update has neared one year now, so I'm wondering if the posts might have their votes wiped soon (not the posts themselves).

wait, we have a voting system?

Oh nvm, this is just for the website? lol.

Here i was thinking there was a voting system coming in game to where each server can choose what perk they want for the weekend.

hmm, now that I said that I am going to go make a post in suggestions. What a great idea!

Good luck with your whole website voting thing... I don't bother here with trades, or any kind of karma system. It's laughable, as well as tainted.  I've had an issue yrs back where moderators went willy nilly on ban and suspensions ganging up on people in the community.  (Its sad to see I know for a fact one of em is still here)

Just be careful, moderators are humans too and may take offense to criticism.

What do you think?

• Chris locked this topic

Archived