Dropped foundations

HoboNation

Dropped foundations

is dropping foundations against TOS at the moment?, and also doing it on a raft? structure stacking? beds inside stacked foundations?

I am kind of wondering before I go ahead and do a guerrilla solo play if my usual methods for staying hidden and such are now against the rules and could lead to a ban, better safe than sorry so, anybody can illuminate this for me it would be much appreciated.

On PvP doing so on raft was recently declared as against ToS, but it is allowed on PvE.

As for general "lowering" of foundations, I think if its purely for cosmetic detail and doesn't offer an advantage, it should be fine for PvP too.

But it's subjective to say if the lowering technique is a glitch/bug or intended game mechanic.

I think rafts are more specifically called out for EXPANDING them as not allowed but i'm not sure if it was really answered if lowering in order to protect the raft using ark building techniques is really considered an exploit or not.

4 hours ago, Aikar said:

On PvP doing so on raft was recently declared as against ToS, but it is allowed on PvE.

As for general "lowering" of foundations, I think if its purely for cosmetic detail and doesn't offer an advantage, it should be fine for PvP too.

But it's subjective to say if the lowering technique is a glitch/bug or intended game mechanic.

I think rafts are more specifically called out for EXPANDING them as not allowed but i'm not sure if it was really answered if lowering in order to protect the raft using ark building techniques is really considered an exploit or not.

Care to share a link because I read the dev quote and they did NOT say it was illegal. Further more I don’t see where in tos under the raft section where it says you can’t sink foundations. It’s not there.

And for those who don’t recall few months back they patched the game fixing a previous patch that broke foundation sinking.

i don't get how its a exploit, no offense but the dropping of the foundations using pillars is caused by it snapping to a snap point, if it were a exploit, it would be a rather simple fix (snap removal / adjustment) they would of done ages ago i'd think.  It is commonly used for base design, sense people can't stack foundations (i.e. one snapped on top of the other) they use the dropping of foundations to seal the holes around the base foundations and to add some creativity to the base.

dropping foundations on rafts really doesn't protect them from what i've noticed from building multiple rafts on PvE, its mainly just for aesthetics, I do remember something being said about foundations 'under' the raft, i.e. not connected to it but below it, but I don't remember what all was said, far as dropping foundations on a raft, I've never heard that being illegal.

Thanks for the input guys very much appreciate it.

seems like it should be ok, I mean there is a lot you can do with dropping foundations, not just on a raft but on land, more than just cosmetics. You can stack foundations ontop of each other through dropping, same with wall stacking. There are also some other sneaky things you can do with foundations and dropping them, nothing game breaking but lets just say it can help a solo player to stay under the radar ;) .

Anyway Ima be employing these techniques this weekend and doing my solo Hobo startup... Solo because my homies don't play this game anymore :(... anyway happy friday everyone and have an awesome weekend.

14 hours ago, Aikar said:

Yeah I remember the raft expansion thing is illegal, but they did patch this. it used to be that you could place a thatch ceiling around the foundations on your raft and once placed you could snap another foundation underneath the thatch ceiling, then just remove the ceiling and repeat. Essentially one could make the raft base as big as they pleased which was a bit silly. But you can't snap a foundation underneath a thatch ceiling anymore.

4 hours ago, HoboNation said:

Yeah I remember the raft expansion thing is illegal, but they did patch this. it used to be that you could place a thatch ceiling around the foundations on your raft and once placed you could snap another foundation underneath the thatch ceiling, then just remove the ceiling and repeat. Essentially one could make the raft base as big as they pleased which was a bit silly. But you can't snap a foundation underneath a thatch ceiling anymore.

this can still be done but the rafts have limits to how far it lets you go out, their are also limits to how much can be built on them, i believe its 86 items on a raft, and 125 on a motorboat.  I saw a cool pirate ship build for a motor boat that was supposedly a official server and i tried building it, 1/2 way though the build structure limit was reached.  Unless there is some oddball exploit to increase the rafts build limit that boat was defiantly not done on official.

I do have a couple nice boats i've built on PvE with lowered foundations, but the only thing that i've noticed that it does is makes it eaiser to get on the raft.  Sharks & Whales can still damage the raft. one of my motorboats has a 1/4th of its health gone with no damage to the foundations from multiple whale and shark sneak attacks on me.  likewise I lost two rafts yesterday due to a whale instantly spawning as soon as I left my base on them, wasn't a fun day.  ended up swimming instead of going out on the remaining rafts.

4 hours ago, HoboNation said:

seems like it should be ok, I mean there is a lot you can do with dropping foundations, not just on a raft but on land, more than just cosmetics. You can stack foundations ontop of each other through dropping, same with wall stacking. There are also some other sneaky things you can do with foundations and dropping them, nothing game breaking but lets just say it can help a solo player to stay under the radar ;) .

please note - dropping foundations and stacking foundations/walls are two seperate things, while the one can't be done without the other they are considered different exploits, i do not know if stacking foundations/walls is against the tos.

5 hours ago, HoboNation said:

That was a while ago when that happened.  That has been patched since and you can use the ceiling foundation trick again.

On 9/26/2019 at 2:35 PM, Aikar said:

Please provide a link to any official source for this. I'm not saying that as an insult, but this is an old issue that has been discussed between players and devs many times over the years (at one point in time they actually coded the game to prevent sinking foundations, then they reversed that decision) and to the best of my knowledge WC has long since decided that this is allowed for all servers.

They have coded in any limits they still care about:

a) the game will not let you expand the raft very far, there are fairly short limits on how wide or long you can make the platform

b) There is a limit of 86 pieces on a raft, so it's not possible to convert a raft into an impenatrable fortress.

So, if what you are saying is true, it would be really helpful to see the official source.

Archived