Your thoughts??

EnderKaziki

Well, it's not really a starter dino so I can't say I would recommend it. Not just the saddle level, but the fact that they aren't tameable. You have to raise them from an egg. So first you'd need to survive long enough to find and raid a nest, then successfully hatch the egg and raise the baby too. At the point you're able to do that, you'll probably have something stronger anyway. And since they're hatched, not tamed, you don't get any bonus levels, so pound for pound you'd be better off with just about anything else until you have proper hatchery infrastructure in place.

Honestly these days one of my favorite early game mounts is a trike. They aren't very fast but they can handle a lot more threats than the early game carnivores, plus being a great early utility mount for berries to get you started on narcotics. My first base is usually a raft so I don't normally travel long distances on the trike anyway. Just an idea.

they are nice dinos to have for protection, and it doesn't take much to hatch the eggs.  stealing the eggs can be troublesome.

hatchng the eggs - i did this easy with 5 fireplaces, 3x3 foundation setup, 2 fireplaces to the left and right of center foundation, one at the front, the egg dropped on the center foundation.

you'll need something to gather meat to feed them with, they are a 2 day raise.  if you can get someone to make you a cryopod to store the little guy in while your offline.

Note: when i stole the eggs i had stuck most my level points into movement, and went stealing eggs naked, if i died, i ran back to where i died, grabbed the bag and ran off.

Don’t waste your time with Deinonychus, they have the paper thin weakness of the raptors stats, but with the added penalty of max wild level being 150.  Normal Raptors can perfect tame out at level 220, but since wild deinonychus eggs cap at 150, that’s a whole 70 levels of mutations you would have to rely on to get equivalent stats to a basic raptor.  Deinonychus are crap right now and will be until they get a treatment like wyverns where their eggs can spawn up to 190.

5 hours ago, RipRavage said:

Don’t waste your time with Deinonychus, they have the paper thin weakness of the raptors stats, but with the added penalty of max wild level being 150.  Normal Raptors can perfect tame out at level 220, but since wild deinonychus eggs cap at 150, that’s a whole 70 levels of mutations you would have to rely on to get equivalent stats to a basic raptor.  Deinonychus are crap right now and will be until they get a treatment like wyverns where their eggs can spawn up to 190.

the bleed makes up for the lower stats, while a single deino may not be that great as a defense, multiples can take out a dino pretty fast on their own.   On a single Deino, that I leveled to 179, I took out a level 135 bronto using its latch and bleed effects on it.  didn't take long at all really.  I think its more tatics  with Deino's then anything, if someone uses proper tatics with them even weaker deino stand a chance to take out larger dinos.  they are meant to be hit and run dino's not heavy tanks afterall.

4 hours ago, caleb68 said:

the bleed makes up for the lower stats, while a single deino may not be that great as a defense, multiples can take out a dino pretty fast on their own.   On a single Deino, that I leveled to 179, I took out a level 135 bronto using its latch and bleed effects on it.  didn't take long at all really.  I think its more tatics  with Deino's then anything, if someone uses proper tatics with them even weaker deino stand a chance to take out larger dinos.  they are meant to be hit and run dino's not heavy tanks afterall.

Because of the level penalty their health is one of the weakest in the game barring smaller unridable dinos, and it takes a ton of stat points invested into HP and a decent sadde, which a starter low level wont have, for them to have any survivability whatsoever.  I feel like people really overlook how bad the stats are on this thing either because they ignore the huge level penalty or because they like the design of the creature.  It looks decent, but it is pretty bad stat wise, and I wouldn't use tactics as a reason for this creatures usefulness.  Another huge problem is that you dont get the saddle until level 32, at which point you already have access to raptor saddles, trike saddes, Mammoth saddles, and Procoptodon saddles.

4 hours ago, RipRavage said:

Because of the level penalty their health is one of the weakest in the game barring smaller unridable dinos, and it takes a ton of stat points invested into HP and a decent sadde, which a starter low level wont have, for them to have any survivability whatsoever.  I feel like people really overlook how bad the stats are on this thing either because they ignore the huge level penalty or because they like the design of the creature.  It looks decent, but it is pretty bad stat wise, and I wouldn't use tactics as a reason for this creatures usefulness.  Another huge problem is that you dont get the saddle until level 32, at which point you already have access to raptor saddles, trike saddes, Mammoth saddles, and Procoptodon saddles.

each their own, even with the lower stat health, i find them extremely useful,  i usually buff up their stam so that they can stack more bleed while hanging off a dino, the bronto wasn't able to hit me while i was lached to its hip, and I had the simular experience with a rex, though a low level one.  Ark has enough over powered bred dino's that i find it refreshing that there is a dino that isn't instantly a power dino. 

I'll keep using them, and eventually I'll start breeding my own rather then hatching eggs. but for now, the hatched ones serve me well.

2 hours ago, caleb68 said:

each their own, even with the lower stat health, i find them extremely useful,  i usually buff up their stam so that they can stack more bleed while hanging off a dino, the bronto wasn't able to hit me while i was lached to its hip, and I had the simular experience with a rex, though a low level one.  Ark has enough over powered bred dino's that i find it refreshing that there is a dino that isn't instantly a power dino. 

I'll keep using them, and eventually I'll start breeding my own rather then hatching eggs. but for now, the hatched ones serve me well.

I personally am not going to bother breeding any until they fix the level problem since there is almost no reason to try to go for mutations on a sub 300% melee Dino,  those subpar stats also affect their stat growth, which is another major issue.  Hopefully one day they will fix the stats on them and the broken skin color region so I can actually use these things, until then, I just can’t endorse these things as being viable while they have so many handicaps.

On 9/27/2019 at 9:56 AM, RipRavage said:

You're right that deinos dont gain the extra taming levels, but they get an imprinting bonus, which makes up the 70 lvl gap. And they dont deal much damage with one attack alone, but they deal way more damage combined with their bleeding effect. With their imprint bonus, they are very fast, which makes them better as a traveling dino. And as @caleb68said, they arent meant to be tanks.

14 hours ago, BlueberryJackal said:

You're right that deinos dont gain the extra taming levels, but they get an imprinting bonus, which makes up the 70 lvl gap. And they dont deal much damage with one attack alone, but they deal way more damage combined with their bleeding effect. With their imprint bonus, they are very fast, which makes them better as a traveling dino. And as @caleb68said, they arent meant to be tanks.

Well, normal Raptors can be bred and imprinted, so it really doesn't make up for the level difference.  I agree with your point of using them for travel if you have no other options, I just think by level 32 there are much better options for travel like the Iquanodon.  The only advantage it has over the iguanodon in the traveling aspect is the jumping mechanic, which is really niche in its uses in my opinion since its not a standard climb like megalania.

On 9/28/2019 at 5:16 AM, RipRavage said:

I personally am not going to bother breeding any until they fix the level problem since there is almost no reason to try to go for mutations on a sub 300% melee Dino,  those subpar stats also affect their stat growth, which is another major issue.  Hopefully one day they will fix the stats on them and the broken skin color region so I can actually use these things, until then, I just can’t endorse these things as being viable while they have so many handicaps.

The Deinonychus will probably get nerfed :) right now u can kill Alpha dragon with 10 deinonychus(normal wild hatched, not even breeded) and a decent saddle. Did it several times on official pve.

17 hours ago, FreeEnergyDrink said:

The Deinonychus will probably get nerfed :) right now u can kill Alpha dragon with 10 deinonychus(normal wild hatched, not even breeded) and a decent saddle. Did it several times on official pve.

Please explain, this has peaked my curiosity.  Were they ridden, whats was the saddle armor?

On 9/30/2019 at 8:24 PM, RipRavage said:

Please explain, this has peaked my curiosity.  Were they ridden, whats was the saddle armor?

They very easily kill the dragon cause the bosses dont target the deinos. go in the fight with 9-10 deinos, whistle them to attack the dragon while its walking towards you. the dragon just keeps trying to walk through them to get to the larger dinos you bring like rexes or yuti but it gets stuck on them. Dragon dead with zero damage on the deinos.

Also Ive raised 100% imprint high lvl tek raptors and 100% imprint wild egg deino, and the deino is worlds better than the raptor. Much much faster, seems to have a bigger aoe on its attack + bleed damage and climbing walls to escape bad situations. Its just far superior to raptors even with the level difference.

3 hours ago, Piffguru said:

They very easily kill the dragon cause the bosses dont target the deinos. go in the fight with 9-10 deinos, whistle them to attack the dragon while its walking towards you. the dragon just keeps trying to walk through them to get to the larger dinos you bring like rexes or yuti but it gets stuck on them. Dragon dead with zero damage on the deinos.

Also Ive raised 100% imprint high lvl tek raptors and 100% imprint wild egg deino, and the deino is worlds better than the raptor. Much much faster, seems to have a bigger aoe on its attack + bleed damage and climbing walls to escape bad situations. Its just far superior to raptors even with the level difference.

Does the dragon take bleed damage?  Because if so that’s a major oversight since they took that away from Allosaurus against bosses. Also do they latch to it?

5 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

Does the dragon take bleed damage?  Because if so that’s a major oversight since they took that away from Allosaurus against bosses. Also do they latch to it?

Yea the bleed damage from the deinos is different from the bleed from allos and gigas. Obviously it stacks for one but it definitely works on bosses, and yes they do latch onto it.

12 hours ago, Piffguru said:

Yea the bleed damage from the deinos is different from the bleed from allos and gigas. Obviously it stacks for one but it definitely works on bosses, and yes they do latch onto it.

Thats a little ridiculous that they can do that since bosses aren't supposed to take things like bleed or be grabbed, but i guess its a decent strategy for the moment.  Just based on the video though it seems like this strategy can go south really quick since the deinoynchus are paper thin and it requires good saddles and a daedon.  The guy in the video was also using level 300 deinonychus, which would require some breeding.  It probably wont get fixed for a long time since they are working on more dlc.

Have you done this strategy with the Island Dragon, or just Valguero bosses?

Archived