Remove Pillaring FOREVER!

Zadira

Suggestion

Remove Pillaring FOREVER!

After spending an enormous amount of time on a few pve official servers and not being able to even place a campfire, I have come here to beg for changes.

I play Atlas and for a while we played with a Claim Flag system that would work great in Ark.  

Each survivor who wakes up on a map would have a claim flag in his/her inventory.  Each claim flag would be a certain size, maybe around a 10 to 20 foundation radius.  You place your claim flag down and that is the only area you are allowed to build in. 

As you add tribe members, your area grows because each person in your tribe adds another claim flag radius. 

A person cannot put down pillars anywhere except in his/her area so pillaring would come to a stop.  There might be an invisible barrier around your area that would keep others from building too close to you. 

If people build in important areas, they will be hurting themselves and probably won't do that, once they figure out how it works. 

A system might be worked out that if you pick up your claim flag, everything in it can be picked up so that your base could be moved as you grow out of an easy beach area and want to move to somewhere more dangerous.  There is a modder who has created an amazing mod that is doing something similar so I know it can be done.

My dream is that some day all people will be able to build on an ark pve official server and not just a privileged few.

I think it would be great if the devs tried this on a few servers and see if it could work. It sure wouldn't hurt to try.

16 replies to this server topic

1 hour ago, Zadira said:

There really would not be any need for currency. There would be a timer, just like there is now and when people stop playing, their claim and everything in it would be demolishable.

Then you would have people who login just to refresh timers like now, I am saying a true landclaim system should require more work. More upkeep.

1 hour ago, Zadira said:

We would not be able to have massive bases completely covering the beaches.  We would not be able to build massive bases to store our hundreds of dinos. We would learn to use the cryopods. 

You are assuming the devs would implement proper limits, which they failed to do with Atlas. Also, what's to prevent 1 person or group from buying several accounts and forming huge alliance bases?

I have heard a lot about atlas and as a console player, I haven't had a chance to play with it.

The flag idea is interesting though. It would change how some play the game. Having to build in a limited area unless you tribe up, would really make solo players - like myself - have to rethink the solo life. 

The radius however, seems a bit small. So if something like this were added, I would prefer there be a way to upgrade the flag yourself. Either by crafting an upgrade with hard to get materials (possibly tributes that aren't often used), or simply to allow unofficials have an option to adjust the radius they give or turn them off completely. 

I wouldn't mind trying it out though. It is an interesting concept. 

I'll post exactly what I replied on the Steam forums.

Its really too late for a major change like this.

For PvE all maps would need an overhaul of the resource, cave, important spawns increasing the non-bulidable areas dramatically.

There really needs to be an upkeep system on land claim, but Ark doesn't have currency.

Land claim size would need to have limits that scale with tribe size and upkeep would need to scale exponentially.

Real buffer areas better land claims would need to be created with no loopholes. This would need to account for natural land claim expansion to a set max size.

A PvE system like this would need to be properly tested, which WC has shown repeatedly to be incapable of doing. Then all PVE official servers would need to either be wiped or made legacy or be given a chance to move to free PvE servers with new system.

Let's not forget unofficial communities. They would need functioning ini settings to opt in or out of these changes.

9 hours ago, Zadira said:

If people build in important areas, they will be hurting themselves and probably won't do that, once they figure out how it works. 

But this exactly what happens. People intentionally block others.

The only logical way to fix this is with more no-build areas on each map. Rules don't work. Only game mechanics work.

2 hours ago, Zadira said:

If we all had only one space to build in, why would people use their one space to cover up resources?   They could only do that once and it would be pretty boring to keep that one space up just to be a hateful person

Players have many alt accounts. Alt accounts that they currently do this very thing on. 

Know what stops them? A responsible person pillaring and sacrificing their game time to upkeep those resource rich areas from being trolled. 

Pillaring needs to stay until WC remaps non buildable areas on PvE servers.

Spawn points are pillared, often, so you don't spawn in a base and get caught in foundations. In limbo until you die and lose anything you spawned in with.

Spawn points need 2 hour decay timers no reset. Enough time to cook some food and then you move on. People will do some time refresh to troll but I think 2 hours would even be a lot for the most dedicated troll to keep up.

Rich resource areas need a no build zone. 

I really don't think it would take much to implement the claim flag system since they have already created it in Atlas.  

The system didn't work in Atlas because they didn't limit the flag to one per person.  Limiting a person to one base on a map would completely change the way we play on official.  I think there are a lot more positive reasons to try this than negative.  One base per tribe would take away a lot of reasons why people are for pillaring in the first place. 

There might be some kinks to work out but I sure would like to see WC give it a try.

So we should just ignore the people who are not able to play on official servers, the way they were meant to play? 

I don't see any reason to not try a new system? What harm could it cause? Open up a few test servers with a claim flag system and try it out. It is better than everyone just giving up and calling WC all kinds of terrible names because they won't fix things.

7 minutes ago, Zadira said:

So we should just ignore the people who are not able to play on official servers, the way they were meant to play? 

I don't see any reason to not try a new system? What harm could it cause? Open up a few test servers with a claim flag system and try it out. It is better than everyone just giving up and calling WC all kinds of terrible names because they won't fix things.

No. We gave viable solutions. The flag claim is a flawed system without other measures implemented first.

Sure test servers could be implemented if they have available servers but it would take a whole new level of coding and map redesign to implement it. Not something they can just tweak like damage output or freeze time (test servers are currently used for PvP adjustments).

The undertaking of such an endeavor is probably not cost effective in the slightest. If it is and they are willing, I'd be all for it. I think its the next PvE specific issue that should be addressed (along with PvE griefing) but it needs to be done correctly which means proper time and money invested.

2 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

The undertaking of such an endeavor is probably not cost effective in the slightest. If it is and they are willing, I'd be all for it. I think its the next PvE specific issue that should be addressed (along with PvE griefing) but it needs to be done correctly which means proper time and money invested.

Completely agree. Sometime like this would be like a total conversation mod. It would mean a complete redesign. Lots of time and money. And no real way to implement on current official servers without a wipe.

22 minutes ago, danlt79 said:

On my island someone put foundations in spino spawn areas. Now it's harder to get the sails needed to do megapithicus boss. I understand placing pillars in resource areas to protect them. But keeping me from collecting trophies to do boss fights should be a no no.

Yea, if someone had pillared the Spino spot, it wouldn't be an issue since pillars don't block spawns but unchecked you get people placing foundations to ruin the gameplay of others.

This is the type of trolling that a flag claim system could promote. You limit to one base you only hurt the people with one account but anybody with 5 or 6 accounts can still foundation vital areas and for some reason that is fun for them. 

I had 5 bases on my Rag server. None overbearing, just easier to teleport/fast travel to, to conduct my gameplay. 

1 main base, 1 flyer storage/breeding, 1 desert base, 1 redwood/farming base, 1 boss barn near green. The group I was allied with had their bases too and there was always metal, crystal, obsidian, Giga spawns, Rex spawns, meat runs available in the swamp, no lagging out at the scar, public wyvern traps (how do you build a wyvern trap to get milk with one build zone?), plus plenty of places to build. 

Here's a fun fact though. When the guy protecting the swamp quit, once his pillars decayed I decided not to repillar. I placed one small public teleporter at the swamp. Within 2 weeks, 4 builds appeared, 2 that were giant, and meat runs were essentially pointless in the swamp at that point.

I've been to hundreds of servers in my ark time, and never not been able to build somewhere. People need to get off the beach.

@danlt79If you're not in legacy or pvp, you should submit a ticket about that. That could be deemed someone preventing you from playing on a server and be a violation of CoC. Worth a shot I think.

Or just escape that hell hole of official, find a good unofficial server that actually has active support/admins, who will enforce fair building policies.

On our server, you aren't allowed to build within 30 foundations of another players border. It use to even be not allowed to build within RENDER of another player.

We have a server with 25~ people on in the evenings, with no pillars, no traps littered everywhere. The admins enforce the building rules, and wipe out abandoned traps. 

You can have nice things without redesigning the game, just gotta leave the flawed official servers that have non existent support.

24 minutes ago, Aikar said:

Or just escape that hell hole of official, find a good unofficial server that actually has active support/admins, who will enforce fair building policies.

On our server, you aren't allowed to build within 30 foundations of another players border. It use to even be not allowed to build within RENDER of another player.

We have a server with 25~ people on in the evenings, with no pillars, no traps littered everywhere. The admins enforce the building rules, and wipe out abandoned traps. 

You can have nice things without redesigning the game, just gotta leave the flawed official servers that have non existent support.

This is exactly what I mean about rules vs game mechanics.

For an open world PvE game like Ark to work in the long run and be fun for everyone, there has to be play nice rules. But rules only work if actively enforced in real-time, not months later.

For official PvE the devs really should implement more game mechanics that force a play nice environment and reduce the reliance on ineffective rules and support team.

2 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

I'll post exactly what I replied on the Steam forums.

Its really too late for a major change like this.

For PvE all maps would need an overhaul of the resource, cave, important spawns increasing the non-bulidable areas dramatically.

There really needs to be an upkeep system on land claim, but Ark doesn't have currency.

Land claim size would need to have limits that scale with tribe size and upkeep would need to scale exponentially.

Real buffer areas better land claims would need to be created with no loopholes. This would need to account for natural land claim expansion to a set max size.

A PvE system like this would need to be properly tested, which WC has shown repeatedly to be incapable of doing. Then all PVE official servers would need to either be wiped or made legacy or be given a chance to move to free PvE servers with new system.

Let's not forget unofficial communities. They would need functioning ini settings to opt in or out of these changes.

As WC removes servers, as they have done in the past, this new way of doing things could replace those servers.    

There really would not be any need for currency. There would be a timer, just like there is now and when people stop playing, their claim and everything in it would be demolishable.

I would really love to try playing on a server where people can build on resources if the want.  I just firmly believe that with a claim flag system, there would be plenty of resources and no one would have to be mommy and daddy and take care of everyone.   If we all had only one space to build in, why would people use their one space to cover up resources?   They could only do that once and it would be pretty boring to keep that one space up just to be a hateful person. I know there are people out there that would do it but not many as you think. With a claim flag system put into place, our whole mindset of how to play Ark would change.   There are tons of places to get metal on the maps. With a one claim flag system, there is no way it could all be covered up.  It is much more frustrating to go on a new official server and find pillars everywhere. If I can't even place a campfire down then who are they protecting the resources for?  

If the one claim flag system could be put into place on a test server, I think everyone would be pretty shocked at how much more fun Ark would be on official. 

We would not be able to have massive bases completely covering the beaches.  We would not be able to build massive bases to store our hundreds of dinos. We would learn to use the cryopods. 

The lack of massive bases and the lack of the massive number of dinos would help the server so much.  It might even stop the constant lag and rubber banding that is there now.

I sure wish they would try this.  If it didn't work then we could stop saying that they don't care.  We could stop hearing people say that they want people to play on official and that is their plan all along. 

I just don't believe they meant for the pillar spamming to happen. I believe that they really do want things to be different.  I guess time will tell.

Archived