Jump to content

Vanny

Dino Behavior Settings in PVE (Valguero)

Recommended Posts

Dino Behavior Settings in PVE (Valguero)

We're new to PVE official server and I have noticed most people don't put up gates and leave their tamed dinos outside.

With that being said, what behavior setting should they be on in order to be safe?  Passive?  Or Neutral just in case something comes up and attacks?

Would rather not build a dino pen.

I hear that official server has offline raiding protection that kicks in.  I assume that takes over and it doesn't matter what setting they are on when you're offline right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when everyone in the tribe is offline, ORP kicks in 15 minutes after the last person logged off.

I donno about others, but I don't feel safe leaving my dinos out in the open even though its pve, have allo's, raptors, rexs, even dieno's wander into my base area.  I built a wall around my house (getting referred to as a prison on the server lol) and most the dino's sit inside the house, have a few that sit outside in the courtyard.  Speaking of, i need to go there tomorrow and feed them all and spend abit of time there, spent most my time this weekend working on my island map.

If i did leave them out in the open, i'd want a dino leash out up on a stand to keep it safe, the leash to keep them within the area so they don't wander too far from base if attacked and i'd leave them on Neutral.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont leave my dinos out in the open, too easy for something to wander in, or be kited, especially since a high level zino can wipe a whole newbie base off the face of the planet. If you ARE going to leave them in the open I would at the very least have a few guards on follow to something either weighed down or passive.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find there's a lot that can happen to a base when you're in the process of logging in, so I would never leave out anything I don't want to lose.

If you don't want to make a full pen, take advantage of the terrain and make your base either in a valley where you can block off the entrances, or on a cliff/plateau/elevated area. Or an island, but that can be dangerous in its own way.

Or just powerlevel your way up to the point where you can unlock cryopods and cryofridges and store them all inside anyway.

I don't really understand why anyone would want to leave their animals out and unprotected, especially on an official server. Just because it's PVE doesn't mean someone won't eventually try to grief you, why make it easy for them. I play on single player and you bet I've still got a walled compound to protect my animals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rattasaur said:

Yeah, have your attack Dinos on follow to something that won't move. They run off and fight What ever then return back to the passive dino who hasn't moved at all during the fight.

I did same thing with few gigas, thay are on atacking target and follow, have 2 spotters. So far working pretty well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too use the strategy of using a passive "anchor" dino that other dinos follow. I normally put everything on passive  except for a handful of high melee high health raptors/ravagers/ and other medium to small dinos.  I find it is easier for these smaller dinos to weave thru the passive dinos to get to any attacker.

On my last two clusters, the admins have added Plant X turrets to beaver dams, so I surround my base perimeter with those.  Also, I tend to build in an area with minimal aggressive dangerous dinos.

 

But in the past, I have often used the terrain to my advantage. Using cliff edges as a wall, or building in a spot that other wild dinos can't easily get to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aushegun said:

I too use the strategy of using a passive "anchor" dino that other dinos follow. I normally put everything on passive  except for a handful of high melee high health raptors/ravagers/ and other medium to small dinos.  I find it is easier for these smaller dinos to weave thru the passive dinos to get to any attacker.

On my last two clusters, the admins have added Plant X turrets to beaver dams, so I surround my base perimeter with those.  Also, I tend to build in an area with minimal aggressive dangerous dinos.

 

But in the past, I have often used the terrain to my advantage. Using cliff edges as a wall, or building in a spot that other wild dinos can't easily get to.

Dangerous to use plant x on your perimeter on Official servers. You're asking for a giga to be aggrod to your base XD

 

@Topic: ORP has ruined official PVE. I always liked the danger of protecting your base from kiting, had a small pvp element to it I didnt mind at all. I was around for the golem wipes on SE when it first came out. I was around for the super gigas (before huge nerfs that we have today) being lured into your base. I know this is an unpopular opinion but its how I feel on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Dangerous to use plant x on your perimeter on Official servers. You're asking for a giga to be aggrod to your base XD

 

@Topic: ORP has ruined official PVE. I always liked the danger of protecting your base from kiting, had a small pvp element to it I didnt mind at all. I was around for the golem wipes on SE when it first came out. I was around for the super gigas (before huge nerfs that we have today) being lured into your base. I know this is an unpopular opinion but its how I feel on it.

On my cluster, the Plant X is WAY boosted (32,000 damage per shot)  so Gigas die quickly!

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone.  I understand the concern of not putting up gates.  We will be putting up gates.  My main inquiry is why ALL our neighbors do not have gates. They have animals out and Gigas, Wyvns, and Rexes just walk by their tames.  I assume because of ORP?  I'm new to PVE so I've seen anything like this and figuring they know something I don't know.

I like the idea of a weighted down dino with other set to attack and follow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Vanny said:

Thank you everyone.  I understand the concern of not putting up gates.  We will be putting up gates.  My main inquiry is why ALL our neighbors do not have gates. They have animals out and Gigas, Wyvns, and Rexes just walk by their tames.  I assume because of ORP?  I'm new to PVE so I've seen anything like this and figuring they know something I don't know.

I like the idea of a weighted down dino with other set to attack and follow.

Yeah we get a bit off topic some times ;)

Yes exactly. The way they look at it is less base lagg = can have a bigger more enloped base without getting kicked constantly. Do yourself a huge favour and use only a couple behe gates as actual gates - use large wall segments for the actual walls. There was an optimization not long ago affecting building pieces that snap so you should be less laggy than using gates. 4 high will stop any dino except titan from walking in your base (if its on a downwards hill towards your walls.you need 6 high due to wild gigas abillity to glitch over stuff going down hill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...