Newbie asking stuff

Zombid

6 minutes ago, d1nk said:

I think we built an elevator once. Was when SE came out +/- 

I see people use it lots inside a base but never liked how janky it is

I let my tribemate install our elevators in EA and early official. Once he quit, elevators were never installed again.

I tried 2 or 3 times on my single player world. It was a glorious fail. 

Ziplines and a Ravager ftw.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Im gonna try the Raise platform trick. The track is being sausage, it only faces 2 ways when I set it on Stone support, so I gotta place the elevator sideways.

2. How can I prevent my birds from flying away? Yesterday some a-hole used some xploit to lead them away . (Yes, they were on passive)

3. How does the red electronic dino leash-thingy work?

23 minutes ago, Zombid said:

1. Im gonna try the Raise platform trick. The track is being sausage, it only faces 2 ways when I set it on Stone support, so I gotta place the elevator sideways.

2. How can I prevent my birds from flying away? Yesterday some a-hole used some xploit to lead them away . (Yes, they were on passive)

Dino leash is your best bet or you can leave your birds on passive and set up other dino guards or turrets. You can also set up a passive dino then whistle for your birds, or other dinos, to follow that passive dino and after they lose aggro they'll return to that dino.

Dino leash needs solar or electrical power. It has 4 ranges you can adjust. It displays a lock symbol above your dinos head to symbolize they are locked in. Your dinos can move within it but don't leave it. Server resets can turn it off so you need to deactivate then reactivate it when that happens. It has low hp but if you put it in a metal 1 x 1 x 3 with no roof it should be safe from being destroyed.

2 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Dino leash is your best bet or you can leave your birds on passive and set up other dino guards or turrets. You can also set up a passive dino then whistle for your birds, or other dinos, to follow that passive dino and after they lose aggro they'll return to that dino.

Dino leash needs solar or electrical power. It has 4 ranges you can adjust. It displays a lock symbol above your dinos head to symbolize they are locked in. Your dinos can move within it but don't leave it. Server resets can turn it off so you need to deactivate then reactivate it when that happens. It has low hp but if you put it in a metal 1 x 1 x 3 with no roof it should be safe from being destroyed.

Thanks for the info. By the way, Im playing on pve server. 

5 hours ago, Zombid said:

I am kind of curious what exploit was used to aggro your tame away while on passive?

Are you sure it was on passive? perhaps "lead them away" is not the right way to put it, did he use another dino to essentially push your birds away? The reason I ask is because I have never seen or heard of a way to lead/aggro another players dino that is set to passive.

7 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Dino leash needs solar or electrical power.

it can run off wired power? this i didn't know, might move my main bases dinoleash inside if thats the case :D keep it a little more protected then it is currently.  use it for when i want to leave my giga on neutral.

tip with dinoleash - always look for the padlock above your dino, if it doesnt show its not locked to the leash even if its inside the circle, to fix that just deactivate and re-acctivate the leash and they will be locked to it.

5 hours ago, HoboNation said:

I am kind of curious what exploit was used to aggro your tame away while on passive?

Are you sure it was on passive? perhaps "lead them away" is not the right way to put it, did he use another dino to essentially push your birds away? The reason I ask is because I have never seen or heard of a way to lead/aggro another players dino that is set to passive.

Well, me too. I have no idea, but more experienced player on the server confirmed that there indeed is one player who knows all tricks and glitches, is trolling and is raptoring with peoples bases. My neighbors bird is now hovering at the sea, too. 

23 minutes ago, Zombid said:

Well, me too. I have no idea, but more experienced player on the server confirmed that there indeed is one player who knows all tricks and glitches, is trolling and is raptoring with peoples bases. My neighbors bird is now hovering at the sea, too. 

I'll never understand the need for some people to be a-holes, for no other reason, than to just be an a-hole.  A whole different breed of person that's for sure.

8 hours ago, Zombid said:

Are there any blueprints for Stone stuff? Would be handy to "mass craft" walls in argy.

the only blueprints i've found for stone items are the water pipes and the dino gates (reg and behemoth) none for the normal structure pieces, I'd love to have those, as you said, it would be nice to toss the blueprint on your gathering dino so you could just mass craft them in their inventory while harvesting the resources to make it.  I usually take out a mammoth, buck, and doedic to harvest the stuff, but if i could just pitstop at the mammoth, toss the stone and thatch on it, and craft away, i could spend alot less time crafting and building and alot more time exploring, hunting, taming and prepping for boss battles.

One little tip i can give on this issue though - stick points into your crafting skill, the higher your crafting skill, the faster you make the pieces. one reason i wanted a crafting character on a second pc, can quickly jump on that character, craft the pieces, and then jump back on my main to go grab more supplies.

Ok some weid poo happening here. I was building pillars and foundations in spot A and moved further , 30m away, to spot B to build walls. After I built some walls, the previous stuff just disappeared. Pillars and founds are gone. Poof. What is this nonsense??

Edit: I built some pillars and wall next to it. When picked up the wall the pillars next to me destroyed! This is beyond my understanding...

3 hours ago, Zombid said:

Ok some weid poo happening here. I was building pillars and foundations in spot A and moved further , 30m away, to spot B to build walls. After I built some walls, the previous stuff just disappeared. Pillars and founds are gone. Poof. What is this nonsense??

Edit: I built some pillars and wall next to it. When picked up the wall the pillars next to me destroyed! This is beyond my understanding...

pillars often like to attach themselves to the obects next to them rather then being snapped to the ground, have had them break when removing a wall, foundation, and ceiling.

single pillars or foundations by themselves normally auto decay after 8 hours if nothing else is attached to them. 

3 hours ago, caleb68 said:

pillars often like to attach themselves to the obects next to them rather then being snapped to the ground, have had them break when removing a wall, foundation, and ceiling.

single pillars or foundations by themselves normally auto decay after 8 hours if nothing else is attached to them. 

This happened with fence foundations too. I placed 4 of them down (lined up And separately too), picked one up and boom.. all demolished. Totally against all sense.

Next scene with pillars: I built some pillars to the base corners, distance between them was 30m. I made a test and placed a wall in the middle, so there was good "safe" distance between all of them. I picked up the wall and... boomboom. Both corner pillars got demolished.

So, picking up a placed item destroys the few previous items, no matter what distance. No matter if there is connection or not.

Today I made a test 1 block further and it worked! Pillars werent demolished. So there is buggy zone in my frontyard?.
Just one row backwards and all is good. But then, I was building roof with ceiling pieces and suddenly it wanted a nearby foundation. Others went fine but one spot doesnt work. There is 1 vertical row that is a no-no, no matter the height. I made supports with pillars and stuff but no. Nothing worked. I always have enough supports.. Actually I built almost the whole roof without support in the middle! Ark logic is so messed up, I cant even...

This vertical bug  has happened before too. In the middle of structure one row that doesnt accept pieces. Can someone explain what the hell is that about?

On 10/19/2019 at 11:47 AM, Zombid said:

Today I made a test 1 block further and it worked! Pillars werent demolished. So there is buggy zone in my frontyard?.
Just one row backwards and all is good. But then, I was building roof with ceiling pieces and suddenly it wanted a nearby foundation. Others went fine but one spot doesnt work. There is 1 vertical row that is a no-no, no matter the height. I made supports with pillars and stuff but no. Nothing worked. I always have enough supports.. Actually I built almost the whole roof without support in the middle! Ark logic is so messed up, I cant even...

This vertical bug  has happened before too. In the middle of structure one row that doesnt accept pieces. Can someone explain what the hell is that about?

It's hard to tell from your description what kind of foundation support you have on the ground. A screenshot would help us see if there is something missing. There are two phrases that you'll get familiar with over time: "Ark Happens" and "Because it's Ark". Sometimes there is no logical answer.

Is it highlighting green and just not snapping or is it red and saying no foundation support?

I've found sometimes pillars don't want to give proper support because they aren't connected to the previous pillars,  I usually have to build ceilings out to where I want the pillar support then build the pillars down from the ceiling piece into the ground.  afterwards removing the extra pieces.  While there is a pillar there, even if it was snapped to its location via the ground, it doesn't see it as a linked foundation support, and this is the only method I've found to get around that.

If its showing green and won't snap, it seems to be a common problem lately,  try from further back in 3rd person view, and from different angles to get it to snap into place, usually does the trick for me when its green and just doesn't seem to want to place the piece.

10 hours ago, caleb68 said:

Is it highlighting green and just not snapping or is it red and saying no foundation support?

It was red and saying no f.support. 

Here's a rough demonstration of the situation. Red area is where it said no support. Like I said, the area is vertical. Green sticks are pillars, going all the way to ground.

IMG_20191022_192748.jpg

36 minutes ago, Zombid said:

It was red and saying no f.support. 

Here's a rough demonstration of the situation. Red area is where it said no support. Like I said, the area is vertical. Green sticks are pillars, going all the way to ground.

IMG_20191022_192748.jpg

So it looks like these are ceilings between the pillars. The only way I can imagine this occurring is if the pillars on the downhill side were placed after the uphill pillars and they only connect to the ceiling and not to the ground.

Yes

On 10/22/2019 at 8:20 PM, caleb68 said:

is it a outside wall? close to a air drop? they have a large area they will block and just a sliver of it has to hit to cause it not to snap, plus what @wildbillsaid

Yes, that is the row where the wall would've been. The connection shouldnt be an issue. I always build from ground to upwards. 1. Pillars 2. Walls and ceiling pieces. No, airdops are not even close.

Here's another picture from birds view. Red is the vertical error area and orange is the horizontal error area where items get demolished after placing next one. (Which I mentioned earlier) So these no-no zones are connected somehow and just those areas. Anywhere outside those zones is ok. 

I just raised my hands up, said f..k it, and started building 1 block away from the area. No problems at all whatsoever. But still, would be nice to know what has possessed my yard, before next possible base expansion...

IMG_20191024_200716.jpg

24 minutes ago, Zombid said:

Yes

Yes, that is the row where the wall would've been. The connection shouldnt be an issue. I always build from ground to upwards. 1. Pillars 2. Walls and ceiling pieces. No, airdops are not even close.

Here's another picture from birds view. Red is the vertical error area and orange is the horizontal error area where items get demolished after placing next one. (Which I mentioned earlier) So these no-no zones are connected somehow and just those areas. Anywhere outside those zones is ok. 

I just raised my hands up, said f..k it, and started building 1 block away from the area. No problems at all whatsoever. But still, would be nice to know what has possessed my yard, before next possible base expansion...

IMG_20191024_200716.jpg

I don't usually start with the pillars like you are saying you do. For a good reason. Pillars need to snap to your base for them to provide support to stuff you add to your base. If you place each pillar close to another pillar, it will snap to the base (snaps to a previously placed pillar). If you place it a bit farther away, it might snap only to the ground and not to the base.

So to explain this a bit, the base is any part of your buildings in this case. If you place one pillar, attach a few ceilings and then snap additional pillars to the ceilings everything is connected and supports each other. To get foundation support, the additional pillars must snap to either a ceiling and the ground or to a pillar and the ground.

If you place a pillar that snaps just to the ground, it will not provide any support to all the other pieces in the base. Once it is placed that way, there is no way to add stuff to it that will make it also snap to the base. This is one of the trickier parts of of building in ARK. You can do a lot of tricks with buildings, some that annoy other players once you fully understand what it means to snap and what provided foundation support. For instance you can have a bridge that spans a large distance with very little visible support. You can also create buildings that seem to be floating in the air. Generally you only do these on PvE servers, as these types of buildings have critical parts that once destroyed, destroy a large number of other pieces of the base.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived