Managarmr allowed on Aberration

Chadmay67

49 minutes ago, Garet said:

Yeah.  They make it easy to get around, right?  You know what would make it even easier to get around?  Flyers!  You know why they don't let you bring in flyers?

Because it wasn't supposed to be easy.

It's broken.  There are 6 kibble tiers for what?  1 kibble tames everything.   The old system had its flaws, but at least it had progression.

Oh, but before I had to tame all these dinosaurs that had no purpose except for eggs!

Guess what?  Now those dinos have no purpose at all.

Anyone taming pachy's these days?   Scorpions?   How about Titanaboas?  They good for anything?

Well thats my opinion i love this new system and don’t really care for progression of the kibble system i hope it stays as it is now and rather the dinos that was used only for eggs to be useless than having overcrowded tame capped laggy servers with big kibble farms i think the kibble system is in a perfect place now.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Garet said:

Yeah.  They make it easy to get around, right?  You know what would make it even easier to get around?  Flyers!  You know why they don't let you bring in flyers?

Because it wasn't supposed to be easy.

It's broken.  There are 6 kibble tiers for what?  1 kibble tames everything.   The old system had its flaws, but at least it had progression.

Oh, but before I had to tame all these dinosaurs that had no purpose except for eggs!

Guess what?  Now those dinos have no purpose at all.

Anyone taming pachy's these days?   Scorpions?   How about Titanaboas?  They good for anything?

Some very good points but I think the issues are separate of the kibble system. If you ask me this game has had a problem with creature relevance. They add a creature, then a few months later they will add a new one that does more or less the same thing but way better and so the old creature becomes irrelevant and people stop using it. What they need to adopt is a system where every dino has a counter dino or give each dino some actual practical use.

Pachy's have a headbutt option which in theory is good for taming but unless your some beach bob that didn't know any better why would you bother? Same too for scorpions their main early use back in the old days was that you could feed/tame them cheaply since they took off meat and their sting gave torpor. Neither howerver were really that great and the torpor thing was never really that good for taming.

If I were to go through the list of dinos I am sure that I would find that at least 50% are dinos I would never seriously bother using because they have no practical purpose or advantage over the others.

2 hours ago, DeHammer said:

As I understand it, natively Aberration will only allow dino transfers of dinos that already exist on Aberration, and not just 'no flyers'. I've never played there to know personally, but so I've been told. For instance, no Rexes on AB, so no Rexes can transfer. By that rule, no Mana's on AB either. 

They allow Extinction native creatures on Ab except the Snow Owl.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Castlerock said:

Sorry about the necro, but it is doable to gain more lift while gliding on a drake

Unfortunately this isn't how the game works, and to be very explicitly clear, "lift" means gaining height while not dashing, and continuing to move in nearly the same fashion/speed you were before lift.  Drakes cannot create their own lift and sustain gliding.  If they could create their own lift, they would be full-fledged fliers.  If you want lift on Griffin/Ptera/Wyvern/Argy/Lymantria/Phoenix/Tapejara/Wyvern/Quetzal/Pelagornis/Snow Owl, you simply pan the camera above the horizontal plane.

Drake gliding isn't clamped to the horizontal plane in-game, so you can break the horizontal plane and go upwards to try and create your own lift.  But what happens then?  You drop speed incredibly fast, and if you aren't careful, fall out of the sky like a stone.  That isn't lift generation.  The best you can do is after your initial jump, when you are still gaining jump height, is turn upwards and trim some upward speed for a little extra height.  But then when you are gliding, if you go above the horizontal plane even by the smallest increment, you lose the remainder of your speed and drop out of the sky.  This happens because Rock Drakes cannot create lift.  They can only jump, and glide down.

I don't know why you quoted a nearly 4 month old post to provide information that isn't true.

It is true, and im not talking about using the dash at all. On your point about going upwards, if u glide down right before u stall, u gain much more speed and it can be used to glide up to a slightly higher altitude than earlier before stalling. Repeating a few times with a drake with even a few points in stamina is enough to reach higher ground with only glide. And it does it even faster than a griffin or snow owl.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 6:15 AM, Castlerock said:

It is true, and im not talking about using the dash at all. On your point about going upwards, if u glide down right before u stall, u gain much more speed and it can be used to glide up to a slightly higher altitude than earlier before stalling. Repeating a few times with a drake with even a few points in stamina is enough to reach higher ground with only glide. And it does it even faster than a griffin or snow owl.

It is not true in the sense that you gain lift.  You glide upwards into a stall, which by definition a stall foregoes any chance of lift generation.  It is not lift.  I 100% get what you are saying, but it isn't lift.  It isn't even technically lift, it is just stalling upwards.

If you are going "UP" on a Rock Drake, you never are gaining speed.  That's what I mean by, "they can't generate their own lift," which I still stand behind as true according to Rock Drake design.  They are awesome mounts, especially for Ab due to their climbing and dashing abilities, but they don't generate lift.

If it is really that easily possible, make a video real quick and I'll retract all I have said.  But I've flown a lot of Rock Drakes, and experimented with trying to hit 1:1 glide (no altitude loss) a whole lot, and never been able to do it.  I've hit 1:.999999 probably, but it is so slow a Pteranodon would be a better choice for one, and for two, if you meet or cross the horizon you sink like a stone out of the sky.

35 minutes ago, Castlerock said:

What the size limit for uploading videos? I dunno how to record on screen but i can use phone record and send it here when i get on

This can't be a hasty, anecdotal-style submission where you glide up a tiny bit one time and say "see, lift."  This is like, get a friend on a flyer to lock as close to horizontal as possible, fly in circles, and then actually go above the flyer on a Rock Drake from starting underneath it.  Something with some real proof that the Rock Drake dive-and-stall can actually add altitude.  Because I don't think it can, and am loading now to test this myself.

EDIT:  Yeah, after a small amount of testing, I can tell you this isn't possible.  Rock Drakes descend much much faster than they ascend, and I have a pretty steady mouse-hand and grasp of Rock Drake piloting.  If it was as easily possible as you are making it out to be, then I would be able to do it.  The best bet for long travel is to try to get close to 1:.999 glide, and just glide very very slowly.  Unless you post a video about your initial jump, when you can use the upward momentum of the jump to stall upwards.  But again, that is not lift, it is just using the momentum of the jump.

This can't be a hasty, anecdotal-style submission where you glide up a tiny bit one time and say "see, lift."  This is like, get a friend on a flyer to lock as close to horizontal as possible, fly in circles, and then actually go above the flyer on a Rock Drake from starting underneath it.  Something with some real proof that the Rock Drake dive-and-stall can actually add altitude.  Because I don't think it can, and am loading now to test this myself.

If the video shows my drake start off with a jump at sea level and glide with dive and stall till it reach the top of a hill?

Edit: with no use of pounce at all of course

EDIT:  Yeah, after a small amount of testing, I can tell you this isn't possible.  Rock Drakes descend much much faster than they ascend, and I have a pretty steady mouse-hand and grasp of Rock Drake piloting.  If it was as easily possible as you are making it out to be, then I would be able to do it.  The best bet for long travel is to try to get close to 1:.999 glide, and just glide very very slowly.  Unless you post a video about your initial jump, when you can use the upward momentum of the jump to stall upwards.  But again, that is not lift, it is just using the momentum of the jump.

U tested on single player or multiplayer?

Edit: i wont be able to come on for at least another 11h, so i wont be able to put the video yet anytime soon

2 minutes ago, Castlerock said:

If the video shows my drake start off with a jump at sea level and glide with dive and stall till it reach the top of a hill?

Edit: with no use of pounce at all of course

Pounce is a legitimate Rock Drake maneuver.  Use whatever normal ability you need to show that Rock Drakes can naturally generate lift.

EDIT:  I guess I mean Jump, not the Dash-ability, if thats what you mean by Pounce.

1 hour ago, Castlerock said:

After the initial jump is a dive first then stall and repeat, there is no upward momentum to stall upwards with a jump

The problem with that is that your dive gains speed quicker than you get back from the stall.  My entire point is that from the top of your jump, your initial jump, that is as high as you get with a Rock Drake for gliding purposes.  Unless you go all stamina, you can only glide so far too, but AGAIN, this is about the practical application of them in Aberration VS the Managarmr.  EDIT:  The Managarmr can ascend in Aberration very quickly, and the Rock Drake can ascend by clinging to rocks with dashes.  Getting out of the Drake Trench on a Rock Drake is made fairly easy with this trick, especially since the Managarmr nerf to the number of jumps you can get.

I personally prefer Drakes there, because of the wall-climb ability.  But the OP is saying that the Mana shouldn't be allowed on Aberration.

Initial position was a jump from sea level to start gliding, then steady glide just above sea for a while, then start to gain altitude until the end. I 'outfly' wyverns and griffins with drake before so even a ptera wont be able to catch up

Edit: it only got a few points into stamina, most went to weight i think

30 minutes ago, Castlerock said:

Initial position was a jump from sea level to start gliding, then steady glide just above sea for a while, then start to gain altitude until the end. I 'outfly' wyverns and griffins with drake before so even a ptera wont be able to catch up

Edit: it only got a few points into stamina, most went to weight i think

Goddamn that looks tedious, but point proven.  I wouldn't say it would be easy to pull off on Aberration, but choices there are very limited.

But back to that discussion.  Though I am wrong about lift, my point about the Rock Drake is barely changed because out of the hundreds of people I have personally played ARK with, you may be the only one I've ever seen fly in this manner.  Regardless, my main point and this discussion is about the Managarmr and its uses, in particular compared to the Rock Drake's gliding-style flight while on Aberration.  Surely you can appreciate the difference, and see the point I was trying to make.

EDIT:  I guess I'm also wondering if the Managarmr would outspeed the Drake when flown in this manner.  I'm guessing yes, because you can level speed on Manas and not on Drakes.

• 2 weeks later...

I completely agree with what many are saying here. Manas should definitely not be allowed. They are too powerful, too easy to get on extinction, and most importantly are not available on aberration at all. I played aberration on pve when it first came out to the endgame. Getting a rock drake, then later a reaper and a basilisk was a real challenge. I recently started fresh on aberration small tribes pvp. It’s a mess. You don’t see any rock drakes anymore, but I get killed by a level 379 mana almost daily. It doesn’t even matter if I make it to the endgame again. I’ll still never have a mana unless I transfer to extinction and play that map first. Mana transfers have completely ruined the experience for people who wish to play the expansion as intended.

• 11 months later...

Archived