Procedurally generated maps

Scribelord

Suggestion

How to Improve the Procedurally Generated Maps Mode.

1.Let us choose which creatures we do and dont want and that includes being able to do things like picking alpha creatures without having the regular versions on the map.

2.Allow us to set up boss fights with existing arenas (Example: Megapithecus Arena, Broodmother Arena, Dragon Arena, The Center/Ragnarok/Valguero Arenas) and the bosses in the base game (Example: Megapithecus, Broodmother, Dragon, Manticore) and obviously since artifacts cant really be done we could use trophies from creatures we kill instead such as argentavis claws or megalodon teeth and etc.

3.If a map has things from a expansion pack then there should be a system preventing people who dont have that expansion pack from playing it or lock it off to single player such as titans for example, creatures added into the mod maps could be exceptions such as the Karkinos and Manticore for example or unique creatures from mods like the Griffin.

4.A Mini Map in the generation options screen to show what we are changing to make things far easier on users.

23 replies to this server topic

I'll be honest with you : I don't use PGMs anymore. But my point is : I WOULD if I could play with the creatures I like. If you put barriers between me and the content I actually paid for, I'm just never gonna use the feature. That barrier is : DLC stuff I paid for cannot be used in a PGM at the moment. Either the PGM is improved, and includes the content I did pay for, or it's not. That's the story for me.
As for Scorched Earth... well the truth is, a lot of people hate the map because of its resources (it's hell to farm decent amounts of wood), its lack of water (you can't bring your water tames with you or have to keep them in cryopods), etc. But they like the content and they paid for it already. So imho if they want to use that content in a different PGM map, the content is still paid for, they're still using it, so I don't see the issue on any level.

On 9/27/2019 at 12:14 PM, Scribelord said:

Although if you purchase expansion packs I feel like it should be locked to single player.

I can't disagree with that statement.

Keeping expansions pack items/skins/creatures - content you have to pay more for -  locked to a player account makes sense financially. It would force those who want to play with the expansion additions-pay for the expansions, which would generate more revenue for Wildcard. And that could lead to more hiring, fixes, and content. (not saying they would - but it would cut down the cost reason for not doing so)

However, as much as I can't disagree with that statement - I won't be holding back on coding the dino's I can into other maps so long as Wildcard allows us to do so. And the same could be said for a Procedurally Generated Map. I would do the same there as long as there is the option.

A work around for Wildcard would be to do some re-coding. I would imagine that with some changes made to creature codes, it could be made that creatures couldn't be ridden if brought in from other maps if they aren't paid for by the player. Much like with the HLNA. You can't pick it up, use it, or anything else if it hadn't been purchased.  And if they could work it so that creatures and such could be handled the same way - there are some creatures people who haven't paid for the expansions wouldn't be able to use. 

Essentially every creature that could not be naturally tamed on The Island, The Center, Ragnarok, and Valguero. All of which you get access to by purchasing a copy of The Island or using game pass to play it. 

Some of the more popular creatures could be those found on Extinction as they are not found on The Island or the other mod maps, along with a few from Aberration (most common dinos from Aberration have been added to Valguero so that would eliminate many of them from not being used), and the Phoenix from Scorched Earth (as many of the other creatures were added to Ragnarok).

Most of this may be better suited to a discussion directly about attaching expansion pack purchases to player info rather than allowing it to run with free access as long as you know how to code it. But it is a way to work with still being able to add the creatures to the PGM's as long as you own them. 

19 minutes ago, ladyteruki said:

I'll be honest with you : I don't use PGMs anymore. But my point is : I WOULD if I could play with the creatures I like. If you put barriers between me and the content I actually paid for, I'm just never gonna use the feature. That barrier is : DLC stuff I paid for cannot be used in a PGM at the moment. Either the PGM is improved, and includes the content I did pay for, or it's not. That's the story for me.
As for Scorched Earth... well the truth is, a lot of people hate the map because of its resources (it's hell to farm decent amounts of wood), its lack of water (you can't bring your water tames with you or have to keep them in cryopods), etc. But they like the content and they paid for it already. So imho if they want to use that content in a different PGM map, the content is still paid for, they're still using it, so I don't see the issue on any level.

Fair point and same every once in awhile I'll use it

20 hours ago, Scribelord said:

Although I personally don't think the devs will accept any maps that pull what ragnarok pulled again.

I am assuming you are referring to the inclusion of nearly every new dino from Scorched Earth being added to the deserts of Ragnarok? 

If that is what you are getting at - yes I agree. 

Attaching the rights to tame and/or ride a creature to an individual's account would give access to the creature to those who purchased the DLC's only- which would possibly generate a bit more revenue for Wildcard - yet still allow those who have already purchased the content use the creatures on any map they play on where they have been added. Be it a currently playable map, a map to come, or a PGM map - should it ever get fixed. 

1 hour ago, ladyteruki said:

Although if you purchase expansion packs I feel like it should be locked to single player.

I have had a few on the cluster I run ask about the procedurally generated maps, but because of the issues with them - have had to put off using them. 

If they could get them to work, at least from a console's player perspective, a bit better -  it could be a nice way to add a bit of variety to the game play by adding a new world to explore. Our own workaround of sorts to the Mod Maps of the PC world. They may not be as creative or as original as mod maps - but it would be a start. 

59 minutes ago, SapphireSam7 said:

I am assuming you are referring to the inclusion of nearly every new dino from Scorched Earth being added to the deserts of Ragnarok? 

Attaching the rights to tame and/or ride a creature to an individual's account would give access to the creature to those who purchased the DLC's only- which would possibly generate a bit more revenue for Wildcard - yet still allow those who have already purchased the content use the creatures on any map they play on where they have been added. Be it a currently playable map, a map to come, or a PGM map - should it ever get fixed. 

Yea I was and completely agree.

1 hour ago, SapphireSam7 said:

I have had a few on the cluster I run ask about the procedurally generated maps, but because of the issues with them - have had to put off using them. 

If they could get them to work, at least from a console's player perspective, a bit better -  it could be a nice way to add a bit of variety to the game play by adding a new world to explore. Our own workaround of sorts to the Mod Maps of the PC world. They may not be as creative or as original as mod maps - but it would be a start. 

Exactly plus not everyone can mod

This way would get everyone involved 

Personally if it does ever get fixed with these fixes I want to make a prehistoric mammal ark with no dinosaurs just reptiles, birds, mammals, fish, and maybe afew invertebrates 

1 hour ago, SapphireSam7 said:

Honestly I think Scorched Earth needs a remake with new creatures, items, areas and a ascension.

I feel like they don't want to add a ascension because it's alot of work for little payoff but a remake Is probably the best chance Scorched Earth has for improving.

Plus it had a unfair disadvantage considering the main game wasn't finished at the time it released and ragnarok ended up pretty much screwing Scorched Earth over.

Plus I think we deserve it for always sticking with ark over the years and our dedication to the game, it can be a present to the players similarly to how the Phoenix was a present for scorched earth doing so well and it would fix alot of problems people have with them in general and overall it would just be nothing but good all around.

3 hours ago, SapphireSam7 said:

I can't disagree with that statement.

Keeping expansions pack items/skins/creatures - content you have to pay more for -  locked to a player account makes sense financially. It would force those who want to play with the expansion additions-pay for the expansions, which would generate more revenue for Wildcard. And that could lead to more hiring, fixes, and content. (not saying they would - but it would cut down the cost reason for not doing so)

However, as much as I can't disagree with that statement - I won't be holding back on coding the dino's I can into other maps so long as Wildcard allows us to do so. And the same could be said for a Procedurally Generated Map. I would do the same there as long as there is the option.

A work around for Wildcard would be to do some re-coding. I would imagine that with some changes made to creature codes, it could be made that creatures couldn't be ridden if brought in from other maps if they aren't paid for by the player. Much like with the HLNA. You can't pick it up, use it, or anything else if it hadn't been purchased.  And if they could work it so that creatures and such could be handled the same way - there are some creatures people who haven't paid for the expansions wouldn't be able to use. 

Essentially every creature that could not be naturally tamed on The Island, The Center, Ragnarok, and Valguero. All of which you get access to by purchasing a copy of The Island or using game pass to play it. 

Some of the more popular creatures could be those found on Extinction as they are not found on The Island or the other mod maps, along with a few from Aberration (most common dinos from Aberration have been added to Valguero so that would eliminate many of them from not being used), and the Phoenix from Scorched Earth (as many of the other creatures were added to Ragnarok).

Most of this may be better suited to a discussion directly about attaching expansion pack purchases to player info rather than allowing it to run with free access as long as you know how to code it. But it is a way to work with still being able to add the creatures to the PGM's as long as you own them. 

Couldn't agree more.

Although I personally don't think the devs will accept any maps that pull what ragnarok pulled again.

On 9/24/2019 at 10:20 AM, ladyteruki said:

Maybe a wyvern trench would indeed be complicated and those can't be procedurally generated, I'll give you that XD

I think selecting what DLC (that you own) is included in the PGM makes sense though. But if you create a water PGM, don't you want the giant turtle from Genesis in it, for instance ? If you want to remake a Scorched Earth map, don't you want SE mats in it like silk ? Stuff like that.

I think maybe not every creature from a expansion should be taken so that way we don't get another scorched earth situation plus some of them would be very tough to implement into the custom maps.

I'm thinking these are the ones that should be left alone

Scorched Earth: all 3 Wyverns, deathworms, Phoenix, and manticore 

Aberration: Reapers, nameless, rock drakes, and rockwell

Extinction: Scout, Enforcer, corrupted creatures, and all 4 titans.

Ragnarok: lava elemental, iceworm queen, spirit direbear, spirit direwolf, iceworms, and ice wyvern. The Griffin is debatable since its ragnaroks most unique creature but then again all we would really have from ragnarok would be the dire polar bear and that's eh.

Valguero: deinonychus.

Scorched earth is complicated because of the situation that happened to it but at the same time I think there should be restrictions to scorched too just so it doesn't get worse.

And we'll just wait for genesis 1 & 2 and decide on the things that could make it in for those 2 expansions.

Other than those I think people should go crazy with it.

Also I made a page for a scorched earth remake if your interested I'll send you a link just bare in mind that the page was merged so it's kind of sloppy, just go to the second page and scroll down and you'll see a comment from me with scorched earth remake on the top of it.

1 minute ago, Scribelord said:

Honestly I think Scorched Earth needs a remake with new creatures, items, areas and a ascension 

I feel like they don't want to add a ascension because it's alot of work for little payoff but a remake Is probably the best chance Scorched Earth has for improving 

Plus it had a unfair disadvantage considering the main game wasn't finished at the time it released and ragnarok ended up pretty much screwing Scorched Earth over.

I would have to agree. 

It would need a few more map specific creatures, an ascension, a map specific achievement, and possibly a new engram or two that can't be learned on Ragnarok - as that map received everything that Scorched Earth has. 

The Phoenix is still a tame you can get on the map, but it is unbreedable - and while handy - it is limited to the level you tame it at plus the levels that you can apply to it based on experience. There is no imprinting -and while the internal furnace/cooking capabilities are nice, they aren't fast enough for me to choose it over that of an industrial stove or forge. 

And personally, I am a breeder and builder at heart on the game - so having a creature that is map specific that I can breed will make it a far more likely push to find as opposed to a singular hatch or tame. 

15 minutes ago, Scribelord said:

I'm thinking these are the ones that should be left alone

How about, IF that function is updated of course, we let players decide what they want or not on their map ? I understand that nest-based creatures are probably more complex, but the rest should be left up to people generating their own map. For instance I see absolutely no reason why the griffin can't spawn on a PGM. If you use griffins to tame quetzes for instance, you're happy to have them on a map you made to your liking and it's normal to customize a map that, by definition, is customizable !

I mean most people use PGM for singleplayer purposes, right ? Who is it harming that a map has everything, especially since it requires to have purchased the DLC beforehand anyway. 

1 minute ago, ladyteruki said:

I haven't touched it in a while (of course, since it's outdated !) but can you even include DLC in your PGM ? If you can't even position a wyvern trench or some resources like fungal wood/gems/etc. on the map, how are we ever to use that functionality !

Maybe not that in depth but definitely making your own maps and expanding different areas of the map over others 

So if you wanted a ocean map you could more easily do that or a map with no ocean.

11 minutes ago, ladyteruki said:

How about, IF that function is updated of course, we let players decide what they want or not on their map ? I understand that nest-based creatures are probably more complex, but the rest should be left up to people generating their own map. For instance I see absolutely no reason why the griffin can't spawn on a PGM. If you use griffins to tame quetzes for instance, you're happy to have them on a map you made to your liking and it's normal to customize a map that, by definition, is customizable !

I mean most people use PGM for singleplayer purposes, right ? Who is it harming that a map has everything, especially since it requires to have purchased the DLC beforehand anyway. 

Well that's the thing what about the people who don't use it for single player plus if it really got popular I would have no doubt people might go abit crazy with the creatures.

I just don't want the other expansions to have the life drained out of them is all im saying like scorched earth did because of ragnarok 

And like I said the Griffin was debatable I wasn't sure if it should be exclusive or not but fair point.

7 minutes ago, SapphireSam7 said:

I would have to agree. 

It would need a few more map specific creatures, an ascension, a map specific achievement, and possibly a new engram or two that can't be learned on Ragnarok - as that map received everything that Scorched Earth has. 

The Phoenix is still a tame you can get on the map, but it is unbreedable - and while handy - it is limited to the level you tame it at plus the levels that you can apply to it based on experience. There is no imprinting -and while the internal furnace/cooking capabilities are nice, they aren't fast enough for me to choose it over that of an industrial stove or forge. 

And personally, I am a breeder and builder at heart on the game - so having a creature that is map specific that I can breed will make it a far more likely push to find as opposed to a singular hatch or tame. 

I made a game suggestion awhile back giving ideas for a remake, if you want I'll either add a link to it but it was merged so its pretty sloppy or I'll copy and paste the completed list of the things I think would make it better onto here to make it easier on you.

Maybe a wyvern trench would indeed be complicated and those can't be procedurally generated, I'll give you that XD

I think selecting what DLC (that you own) is included in the PGM makes sense though. But if you create a water PGM, don't you want the giant turtle from Genesis in it, for instance ? If you want to remake a Scorched Earth map, don't you want SE mats in it like silk ? Stuff like that.

14 minutes ago, ladyteruki said:

Plus I feel like the big bad creatures like the bosses, titans, reapers, corrupted, and deathworms should be exclusive to the expansions since I feel like their a large reason of why everyone would want the expansions

4 minutes ago, ladyteruki said:

Yea I would love that hopefully if they ever fix the mode they'll add that

8 minutes ago, Scribelord said:

I made a game suggestion awhile back giving ideas for a remake, if you want I'll either add a link to it but it was merged so its pretty sloppy or I'll copy and paste the completed list of the things I think would make it better onto here to make it easier on you.

I think I have found it, and I have scanned the comments. It seems that merged the discussion for the original and remake in a singular post. I have seen it happen a few times. 

What I would recommend is taking the information from the remake title screen and update the original title screen as that seems to be where it was merged to. They usually keep the version with the most votes as the main copy- and as it stands, it only showcases the original set of information. So unless a person goes through to re-read the comments, they may not know the remake info was added. That is just a suggestion though.

I will add the suggestions I have made on this thread that relate to it. 

4 minutes ago, SapphireSam7 said:

I think I have found it, and I have scanned the comments. It seems that merged the discussion for the original and remake in a singular post. I have seen it happen a few times. 

What I would recommend is taking the information from the remake title screen and update the original title screen as that seems to be where it was merged to. They usually keep the version with the most votes as the main copy- and as it stands, it only showcases the original set of information. So unless a person goes through to re-read the comments, they may not know the remake info was added. That is just a suggestion though.

Alright I'll do it right now

16 minutes ago, SapphireSam7 said:

I've moved the list to the first message but I'm going to change afew more things to bring them to the front of the page.

Archived