Jump to content

Kodking194

Tips on what you guys would like to see in an ark YouTube channel

Recommended Posts

tips on what you guys would like to see in an ark YouTube channel

so i plan on making a channel by the end of the year where i record ark game play. i figured on who better to ask for advice on what the videos should contain then the ark community itself. there will be a list of limitations as to what i will do. i will start off with PS4 game play till i get a PC that can run ark smoothly. i can play with friends. i wont do official server game play. i wont do anything that is not child or family friendly. i figured i would start the channel with a series where i just play through the game. anything is open so long as if fits into the guidelines i have listed. i hope when i make the channel people will consider watching my content and enjoy it. 

i just realise i put month instead of year

Edited by Kodking194

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

I don't really have tips for you since I don't watch ARK videos often but when I do, I will instantly click away if this is a montage with some cheesy-disco music rather than commentary.

hehehe lol. i was seriouse when asking what people would like to see in my ark channel when i make it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kodking194 said:

hehehe lol. i was seriouse when asking what people would like to see in my ark channel when i make it.

Well, I was serious too. And I guess my post indirectly answered your question; I prefer to watch videos with commentary rather than cheesy-disco music montages with stretched crappy game-play to hit 10 minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

all I really look at in ark videos are creative builds that are also functional builds,  I like to see how people make interesting beautiful creations and keep them functional at the same time.

I'm with Invinvibleqc though, if there is a montage of music rather then commentary from the ark streamer, i normally click out rather quickly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of the copyright-free music that is all bassbeat, tickytick, or EDM.  It all sounds bad.  You asked what I would like to see in a channel...  If at any time you play a full song of crap like this:

I'll do what I always do and turn it off, and pretty much look elsewhere for ARK YouTube videos. Sorry Phaedread, you lost one bud.

No dumb intro that is 30 seconds long, with your name bouncing on the screen so everyone and their goldfish-like attention-span can remember whose video they clicked on, even though they just did it 13 seconds ago.  But wait, still got 17 seconds of intro left, so go ahead and play a sample of high-pitched EDM bullcrap over your bouncing name.  Because all gamers like high-pitched EDM, or tickytick music, or dubstep-robot-fight music, right?  I dunno.  Get to the content!

Edited by TheDonn
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

None of the copyright-free music that is all bassbeat, tickytick, or EDM.  It all sounds bad.  You asked what I would like to see in a channel...  If at any time you play a full song of crap like this:

I'll do what I always do and turn it off, and pretty much look elsewhere for ARK YouTube videos. Sorry Phaedread, you lost one bud.

No dumb intro that is 30 seconds long, with your name bouncing on the screen so everyone and their goldfish-like attention-span can remember whose video they clicked on, even though they just did it 13 seconds ago.  But wait, still got 17 seconds of intro left, so go ahead and play a sample of high-pitched EDM bullcrap over your bouncing name.  Because all gamers like high-pitched EDM, or tickytick music, or dubstep-robot-fight music, right?  I dunno.  Get to the content!

i agree on the intro stuff and the music stuff. i do like to start my vids with an intro of me sayin hi and whats goin on and then i will explain what we done in the last episode of the series and what the plans are for this episode. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what about an outro. like a background with my signature on the back, i have previous vids linked, and links to things like social media. also this is one thing that i think is cheesey. like half way through the vid they somehow seem to be able to just slide into from what their doing to promoting their merch. i find it kinda cheesey and pretty obviouse that they planned on doing that. if i ever sell merch  i would do it at the end of the vid or beggining. not throguh the middle when peole are already in the zone of whats going on. anyway what i was asking in the first thread is also what types of series should i do. like should i do a series similar to what syntac is doin in ultimate ark. where i play through the story maps with certain rules set in place. or maybe a breeding series wher ei breed for cool mutations. using a few cheats like slomo and player only. to show how to breed and also to show how to get cool colours. or maybe a pvp series with my friends where its us against an entire server. what would u find ammusing. also keep in mind the guidelines i set for my channel. dont want any karrens slaming on my door demanding to have my channel removed. if ya know what i mean😎😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you wanna see yourself @Kodking194 ? 

 

- I don’t think you watch all content from each of the 20 “big” ark youtubers, so you have got to ask yourself what you think haven’t been said or looked at also. 

I see a lot of people, on different media’s wanting to do the “ultimate ark challenge” so imo I don’t think that would be good to start with, I enjoyed Syntacs though, but I also lost interest when he started to jump too much between the maps. 

 

Imo there is no “ultimate ark” if you just end up taming everything at rag or val just because that is the easiest. 

 

- I myself, enjoy to watch faceless and Apex because of their personalities. Mostly faceless because I admire how he seems to be the last person on earth, to actually take the game as seriously, like a lot of us do lol. 

I really like how faceless manages to get a lot of random encounters in his videos where they actually talk with strangers and don’t act all paranoid like in every other youtubers videos. 

 

Good luck with the project, I’m looking forward to keep an eye oyt for a YouTuber called “kodking” 😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 things from me, A: a general tip, IF you end up with an opening like all the super popular youtubers PLEASE do not have that opening be obnoxiously loud, or long, 3-4 seconds is a good time frame for an opening and I can't tell you how many times I have had to turn the volume down JUST for the opening, then turn it way up cause I could not hear the person. Secondly I always thought it would be cool to have a Steve Irwin type thing where the person tells a bunch of info about a specific dino, while hanging out with it as close as possible in the wild, and eventually taming it but you would need energy for that, it could be exciting because you never know what is lurking around the next bend. 

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kodking194 said:

tips on what you guys would like to see in an ark YouTube channel

so i plan on making a channel by the end of the month where i record ark game play. i figured on who better to ask for advice on what the videos should contain then the ark community itself. there will be a list of limitations as to what i will do. i will start off with PS4 game play till i get a PC that can run ark smoothly. i can play with friends. i wont do official server game play. i wont do anything that is not child or family friendly. i figured i would start the channel with a series where i just play through the game. anything is open so long as if fits into the guidelines i have listed. i hope when i make the channel people will consider watching my content and enjoy it. 

Solo PVPing against other players/tribes on an Official Server. That would be content worthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheDonn said:

None of the copyright-free music that is all bassbeat, tickytick, or EDM.  It all sounds bad.  You asked what I would like to see in a channel...  If at any time you play a full song of crap like this:

I'll do what I always do and turn it off, and pretty much look elsewhere for ARK YouTube videos. Sorry Phaedread, you lost one bud.

No dumb intro that is 30 seconds long, with your name bouncing on the screen so everyone and their goldfish-like attention-span can remember whose video they clicked on, even though they just did it 13 seconds ago.  But wait, still got 17 seconds of intro left, so go ahead and play a sample of high-pitched EDM bullcrap over your bouncing name.  Because all gamers like high-pitched EDM, or tickytick music, or dubstep-robot-fight music, right?  I dunno.  Get to the content!

Also no talking theoretical crap and baseless theories on what might happen in ARK in the future for 10 minutes while you have random videos of you collecting berries in the background. There is already 1000s of those videos with their clickbait titles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see more actual gameplay in Ark videos. I mentioned it in the other thread, but a lot of the real gameplay is turned into a heavily condensed clip show that's hard to follow along with or relate to as someone who often watches while playing through the grindier aspects of the game. For example, I spent 5 hours last night breeding rexes and watching an Ark playlist at the same time. I'm not saying I necessarily need or want to see the full process live, but seeing an Ark YTer's "breeding" video that's a month of actual gameplay boiled down to 30 minutes of clips and none of the actual process, to me that's rather dull. Same with taming, I rarely see a video that's more than "hey look at this max level I just happened to stumble across 5 minutes before starting the video, let's KO it, we'll be back when it's tamed" and then 2 clips later they have 10 of them tamed and ready for breeding. Sure it makes for popular content, but it's literally skipping all of the actual gameplay that goes into it. I like to see other players' techniques, projects, setups, etc and part of that is wanting to see the how too, not just the final results.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually look for things that are difficult to do. Rock drake egg gathering, reaper pregnancies, surface drop farming, taming titans, etc. But something I’d like to watch a video on is someone making a Tek teleporter reaper trap. Build a trap with Tek teleporter in red zone on ab and lure queen into it and bring it up top in green zone in another trap. Then proceed to bring health down and all that. I know a guy who does this and I tried looking videos up and only found one where the guy doesn’t explain anything and doesn’t tell me how many mats I need to build the traps. I’ll follow and like such a video lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ISeeYouLikeDrama said:

I see a lot of people, on different media’s wanting to do the “ultimate ark challenge” so imo I don’t think that would be good to start with, I enjoyed Syntacs though, but I also lost interest when he started to jump too much between the maps

You mixed his series together.

His Ultimate Ark series (still in progress) stays confined to the progression through each canon map. Island->SE->Ab->Extinction and he'll add in Genesis when it comes out.

He just recently got to Ab. 40 episodes on the Island, 20 episodes on SE and his plan is to do 20 episodes on Ab and Extinction. 

The series where he can just jump between all maps is the Cluster Series. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Also no talking theoretical crap and baseless theories on what might happen in ARK in the future for 10 minutes while you have random videos of you collecting berries in the background. There is already 1000s of those videos with their clickbait titles.

Second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

You mixed his series together.

His Ultimate Ark series (still in progress) stays confined to the progression through each canon map. Island->SE->Ab->Extinction and he'll add in Genesis when it comes out.

He just recently got to Ab. 40 episodes on the Island, 20 episodes on SE and his plan is to do 20 episodes on Ab and Extinction. 

The series where he can just jump between all maps is the Cluster Series. 

Sorry about that. 

I see I’m not as big a fan as you are. And I appreciate that

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My knowledge of Ark youtube personalities is probably more limited than other people weighing in on this but I would agree with the no obnoxious intro point, that's your first impression and you truly don't want to screw that up. Another thing is I would say don't turn it into clickbait. I remember falling for that once and all it turned out to be was a guy reading the community crunch (that I had already read myself) and making unfounded assumptions about what WC was going to do next based off of it, all while in the background you watched some random video of him trying to tame a griffin.

I'd say the best thing you could do is really clearly identify what you want to provide to your viewers. Is this going to be a tutorial or instructional type of show to give players a new insight on how to play the game? Is it a more laid back experience where you pal around with some friends and do silly but humorous things? Or are you going to awe your viewers by doing things only a minority of Ark players ever get around to doing whether it be epic PvP battles or solo killing the king titan or something ridiculous like that. Or maybe you do all of those things and have different series like Awesome series: video #25, Ark fails: video #67. All I'm saying is you would benefit greatly by having your identity clearly defined at the beginning so people know what they can expect when they click on your videos.

What I would like to see personally is videos that show me something I am probably not going to see in Ark any other way. As much as I would like to solo run the ice deathworm cave on official or do something equally outlandish, I'm never going to get around to doing it and I know that so as an alternative I'd love to see through the eyes of someone that has.

Just my 2 cents on the matter, whatever direction you take with it though I wish you luck in your endeavors.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ISeeYouLikeDrama said:

What do you wanna see yourself @Kodking194 ? 

 

- I don’t think you watch all content from each of the 20 “big” ark youtubers, so you have got to ask yourself what you think haven’t been said or looked at also. 

I see a lot of people, on different media’s wanting to do the “ultimate ark challenge” so imo I don’t think that would be good to start with, I enjoyed Syntacs though, but I also lost interest when he started to jump too much between the maps. 

 

Imo there is no “ultimate ark” if you just end up taming everything at rag or val just because that is the easiest. 

 

- I myself, enjoy to watch faceless and Apex because of their personalities. Mostly faceless because I admire how he seems to be the last person on earth, to actually take the game as seriously, like a lot of us do lol. 

I really like how faceless manages to get a lot of random encounters in his videos where they actually talk with strangers and don’t act all paranoid like in every other youtubers videos. 

 

Good luck with the project, I’m looking forward to keep an eye oyt for a YouTuber called “kodking” 😉

 

i have possibly watched 20 ark tubers, alot of them are big. the one i mainly watch now because he has stuck to me and has not transitioned to modded, cough cough "king daddy dmac" is syntac. i take the game seriously, but whos to sya a bit of laughter here and there does not do veiwers some good. i know what you mean by the "find something at start of video and plan to tame it" cliche. almost like it is planned out. i like to have my video idea set and planned. so if i plan to find and tame a giga i will work on finding a giga. 

 

18 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

2 things from me, A: a general tip, IF you end up with an opening like all the super popular youtubers PLEASE do not have that opening be obnoxiously loud, or long, 3-4 seconds is a good time frame for an opening and I can't tell you how many times I have had to turn the volume down JUST for the opening, then turn it way up cause I could not hear the person. Secondly I always thought it would be cool to have a Steve Irwin type thing where the person tells a bunch of info about a specific dino, while hanging out with it as close as possible in the wild, and eventually taming it but you would need energy for that, it could be exciting because you never know what is lurking around the next bend. 

i know what you mean. i plan to have a scene from somewhere in the video of somethin cool or eventful happening, like maybe me being ambushed by a raptor scaring the poop out of me. i am aussie so i could have a side series where i do some kind of Steve Irwin documentary. i plan to have multiple ark series for wider audiences. so i may do pvp series on sunday, solo series on monday and wednesday and so on. to keep the channel fresh and diverse.

 

17 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Solo PVPing against other players/tribes on an Official Server. That would be content worthy. 

that may be a possibility,  if i play official it will most likely be with my group. i just dont like the official server community in general due to trolls, toxic chat, stupid rules made by alpha servers like paying a tribute or something.

 

17 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Also no talking theoretical crap and baseless theories on what might happen in ARK in the future for 10 minutes while you have random videos of you collecting berries in the background. There is already 1000s of those videos with their clickbait titles.

 if i ever do vids reveiwing upcoming update and i have theories i will boldly highlight the fact that it is my own opinion, i also will tend to talk about things i wish could come to the game or should be improved like any productive tuber would. 

14 hours ago, Cymas said:

I'd like to see more actual gameplay in Ark videos. I mentioned it in the other thread, but a lot of the real gameplay is turned into a heavily condensed clip show that's hard to follow along with or relate to as someone who often watches while playing through the grindier aspects of the game. For example, I spent 5 hours last night breeding rexes and watching an Ark playlist at the same time. I'm not saying I necessarily need or want to see the full process live, but seeing an Ark YTer's "breeding" video that's a month of actual gameplay boiled down to 30 minutes of clips and none of the actual process, to me that's rather dull. Same with taming, I rarely see a video that's more than "hey look at this max level I just happened to stumble across 5 minutes before starting the video, let's KO it, we'll be back when it's tamed" and then 2 clips later they have 10 of them tamed and ready for breeding. Sure it makes for popular content, but it's literally skipping all of the actual gameplay that goes into it. I like to see other players' techniques, projects, setups, etc and part of that is wanting to see the how too, not just the final results.

it is cause the youtube algorithm is less likely to advertise your vids if they exceed 30 mins, meaning the tubers need to condense and cut their vids. i plan to have a mutation factory where i will pretty much breed every creature possible and get cool colours. i get what you mean in the last bit as syntac's latest build on his cluster series is a giant water fall base on rag. he shown part of it. but then just builds off cam, he even sadi he recorded the entire building process but left it cause he figured no one wants to watch a building vid. IMO it depends on the vid. is it just a montage or actual game play. is it you build or you just collecting the resources. i feel if the build is really huge a speeded up building process may may be suitable. but no cheesy music.

 

12 hours ago, HalonS78 said:

I usually look for things that are difficult to do. Rock drake egg gathering, reaper pregnancies, surface drop farming, taming titans, etc. But something I’d like to watch a video on is someone making a Tek teleporter reaper trap. Build a trap with Tek teleporter in red zone on ab and lure queen into it and bring it up top in green zone in another trap. Then proceed to bring health down and all that. I know a guy who does this and I tried looking videos up and only found one where the guy doesn’t explain anything and doesn’t tell me how many mats I need to build the traps. I’ll follow and like such a video lol

i like videos like those. tubers doing things that are so hard you would expect them to fail. u can count on me to fully explain my traps and methods of taming when i use them.

 

10 hours ago, Oldster said:

For Raptor's sake dont stand in your base wiggling the camera and jumping while you blather on about whatever. Also dont run back and forth for no reason. Do something in the background.

tell me if this sounds like a good intro

 

while doing something productive: hey guys kodking here so in the last episode we done __________________ and for this episode i plan on ____________________. so enough chat and lets get started.

 

again i have an Australian accent and a pretty funny personality so expect for there to be a few funny moments in videos. i also intend on doing this other tubers dont usually do like showing off mechanics that others dont really show like the custom recipe mechanic which i only learnt just a month ago. i love videos where people do the insanely hard aspects of the game like solo ice worm cave.

 

thank you for the advice. i will certainly take it all in. please if anyone has anymore ideas keep it coming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's actually why I really enjoy GG Fizz for building, he does his builds on cam, mostly sped up but he does slow down to show particular techniques which I can then duplicate and test in my own builds. Nothing annoys me more than a YTer building this huge elaborate build off cam, so at the end of one video they have a thatch hut or something and at the start of the next, giant stone fortress. I really struggle with details in my Arkitecture so seeing how someone else does it is immensely helpful. I ended up looking up a Minecraft guide on how to use triangle foundations to make a big circle, for example, because geometry isn't my thing and no one shows their builds or building techniques anymore.

Honestly I have a feeling a lot of Ark YTers aren't showing their builds on cam anymore because they don't want to admit they're doing it all in creative mode so they don't have to spend time gathering resources and stuff. Honestly as long as they're honest about it, I don't really care that much. I just want to see how they plan it out, what kind of issues come up during the build and how they solved it. But showing creative mode would break the illusion too much, I guess.

I'm aware that YT prefers 30 minute videos, and I think because of it too many YTers have taken that as a reason to stop showing their process, only the results. That's what makes it hard for me to relate to as an active player, because we're only getting the highlight reel that makes good video and not much else. I'd much rather watch a 3 part mini saga of a hunt, or the drama that is Ark snap points on a big build instead of just another clickbaity "breeding" video that's basically just a showcase of random mutations because they aren't stacking muts or breeding color morphs, they just want something bright and shiny for the camera regardless of how quality the dino is. Which is fine for what it is as pure entertainment, but there isn't a lot of substance out there for when you want something more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I want to see in a youtube channel largely depends on what kind of mood I am in along with what I am doing or planning to do next in ark.

I play singleplayer so sometimes I like to watch tribe related videos, pvp or pve, to see what life is like on the other side.

Sometimes when I hit a mental block about what I should be doing next I like to watch solo or duo content for a hint of inspiration.

At times when I am trying to wind down before going to bed I like to watch build videos for base building ideas, speed builds are good for this as they generally have a pretty chilled soundtrack. I haven't attempted to copy any of the builds yet but I am collecting resources to be ready for when I have the time to attempt something epic.

When I first started playing I looked for hints and tips videos after I had gotten used to the basics.

What I look for in all of the vids I watch is people having fun and enjoying the game however they are playing it. Uncle Apex (apex way) is usually my go-to pvper, his attitude to the game has won me over. Lucky by Nature is my go-to channel for the solo/duo gameplay, I relate to how beast gets so easily distracted and tames almost everything except what he wanted, and I love how vixen gets super excited over the cool coloured dinos, watching them is like watching the voices in my head playing the game. Lucky by Nature's top tips videos were the most useful videos I found as a new player. I have recently started watching syntacs ultimate ark playlist as I had just started breeding tek rexes to do boss fights, before I went for a little holiday on Valguero where I hope to build a big dino storage base for all of coloured tames and tames that I don't use much.

What I think could be an interesting series to watch would be a series with the goal of getting all of the achievements/trophies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...